[How To] Integrate Vista SP2 into Vista SP1 DVD?

bjfrog

Hello everyone,MS publiced vista service pack 2 beta(v113) on 5th,Dec, it include all updates since sp1 released,just installed it, work great to me ,so who know how to slimstream service pack2 into Vista sp1 DVD,it should be cool and save much more time,thanks in advance.

:offtopic:

Dougiefresh's EDIT: The guide found in this thread, which starts at post #11, was written to integrate SP2 BETA into a Vista SP1 DVD. These steps should work for integrating the RTM version of SP2 into a SP1 DVD as well.

Edited by dougiefresh
Edited title and added comment about SP2 RTM

Will, I use vLite1.2final, But where is the slimstream button when vlite apply a Vista installation files with service pack 1?

so i think vlite version1.2 not support integrate sp2 into vista with sp1 resource now.

how about integrate sp2 as hotfix using vlite integration function? but still no luck ,this will occur errors during integration

i extract sp2 via below line obtain two cab file,these should be the update package.

Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe /X:E:\VSTSP2

CAB files:
windows6.0-kb955430-X86.cab
windows6.0-kb948465-X86.cab

does vlite hidden some tricks to slimstream serice pack? any ideas?

Thanks all of you,

yes Legolash2o: ms has released new vista sp2 pre-beta to the public on 5th this month

you can dl from MS

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

i have got a copy,it work perfectly to me ,now just want slimstream it into my DVD ,a friend of my just told me a method,I am trying to make it work,now it seem working step by step... i think it need some time.

EDIT:Solved! just installed using new generate installation image,its cool.

BTW

Overview
Windows Server 2008 SP2 Beta and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Beta is prerelease code offered to the public through our Customer Preview Program. Please see the Windows Server SP2/Windows Vista SP2 Customer Preview Program page on TechNet/MSDN for additional details, documentation, and forums.

Windows Server 2008 SP2 Beta and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Beta apply to people, organizations, and technical enthusiasts who are comfortable evaluating prerelease software. This prerelease software is provided for testing only. Installation of Service Pack 2 Beta will result in Microsoft collecting information about the installation process, even if the installation is not completed. We do not recommend installing this software on primary or mission-critical systems. We recommend that you have a backup of your data before you install any prerelease software.

SP2 is an update to Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista that addresses feedback from our customers and partners. By providing these fixes integrated into a single service pack, Microsoft provides a single high-quality update that minimizes deployment and testing complexity for customers.
In addition to all previously released updates, SP2 will contain changes focused on addressing reliability and performance issues, supporting new kinds of hardware, and adding support for several emerging standards. SP2 will also continue to make it easier for IT administrators to deploy and manage large installations of Windows Server 2008.

Service Pack 1 is a prerequisite for installing Service Pack 2. Please make sure that your system is running Service Pack 1 before you install Service Pack 2.
Windows Server 2008 SP2 Beta and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Beta - Five Language Standalone version can be installed on systems with any of the following language versions: English, French, German, Japanese, or Spanish.

Edited by bjfrog

i post the process,hope it helpfull to those wanna creating a Vista SP2 DVD.

MUST thanks my friend Qiuping Huang provide this method,

and now I use VMWare to make it work

First of all let's do some preparations

1.Download Windows Vista serice pack 2 pre-beta from here,

Vista Serice Pack 2 pre-beta x86

then create it to be an ISO file,I named it SP2BETA_16497.iso

2.Install VMWare workstation ,create a virtual machine with a 20GB virtual hard disk and allocate all disk space to the virtual harddisk,this will be helpfull to enhance virtual machine performance,Rick has made a good lite edtion,VMWare Workstation Lite,just regiter a trial key from vmware.

3.Create a PE2.0 ISO file must include imagex utility,you need not do this if you already have one

How to create a PE2.0 ISO?

1st dowload MS windows AutoInstallkit(AIK) for Vista sp1 from here

Windows Autoinstall Kit(WAIK)

Install WAIK via mount WAIK ISO file to virtual CD

click "Windows PE Tools Command Prompt" shortcut when installation finished

Run below command line at command prompt window,

copype.cmd x86 d:\PE

copypexf2.gif

then copy all the folders/files under "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86" into "d:\pe\ISO" folder

copytoolmx0.gif

Run below line under "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86" to make a PE2.0 ISO( 218MB),i named it PE.ISO

oscdimg.exe -bd:\PE\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWINPE d:\PE\ISO d:\PE.iso

creatpejo1.gif

about oscdimg usage: oscdimg -help <categories>

Edited by bjfrog

Forgot one thing ,you should have a full edition Vista SP1 DVD that already created to be an ISO file,i named it VISTASP1.ISO,not a Vlited or some else,now lets begin

Launch VISTASP1.ISO to boot virtual machine...

Accept license,select what edtion to be installed,for example Im VB user,i select VB to be intalled, just follow the prompt step by step,you need not to insert your serial as you dont need an activated installation.

you should create two partitions at partition manager window ,one for hold install image that will generate in next steps,another for install vista sp1

Assign 5GB capcity to first partiton,the left (15GB)to second partition,dont forget give them formatting.

86038754cx3.gif

CHOOSE SECOND PARTITION TO INSTALL

96605214qg2.gif

now expanding files...,

29611273bg9.gif

after restart virtual machine step into OOBE,DONT INSERT ANYTHING at this screen,just press "CTRL+SHIFT+F3",then virtual machine will restart automatically...

11946343vp1.gif

Edited by bjfrog

after reboot,virtual machine step into windows preparation,windows preparaton tool 3.14 interface will display on the desktop,DONT CLOSE "Windows Preparation Tool 3.14" interface

96471760jy5.gif

launch SP2BETA_16497.iso to virtual machine CD drive,click "Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe" to install vista serice pack 2 pre-beta.

35296929rk6.gif

Accept license

33.gif

Choose restart automatically

22.gif

Installing service pack 2...

36.gif

Installing service pack 2...

21.gif

Restartting ,continue to finish service pack 2 installing

24.gif

After restart ,Service pack 2 is installed,close this window.

34.gif

Edited by bjfrog

Now press "Win+R",Insert "compcln.exe"and run ,this is service pack cleanup tool. It locate in the system32 folder.

it'll decrease the installation size,delete unneeded files,delete sp1 files,make sp2 files reside in installation permanently...

i cant find any MS offical explanation about this tool,but it really make the installation image generated nearly 200MB smaller,this tool is cool.

of course

35.gif

cleanup tool is working...

32.gif

Edited by bjfrog

Now insert PE.ISO to virtual machine CD drive,boot virtual machine with PE.ISO,

DONT MISS "Press any key boot from CD or DVD"

27.gif

When dispaly PE command prompt window,change to e:\

and run this line,just change the flags and capture name to yours

imagex.exe /compress maximum /flags "Business" /capture C: D:\INSTALL.WIM "Windows Vista Business SP2"

Scanning folders and files...

21ld1.gif

Begin working... this process spend about 1hour

30.gif

Close virtual machine when display this line

37.gif

Edited by bjfrog

so where is your capture?VMware has an amazing feature thats map virtual disk .

mount 5GB partition d:

25xp9.gif

copy it to a safe place.

26sx7.gif

Already tested and installed on virtual machine and physical machine,it work fine.

Image file generated use this method still support Vlite ,VUT,GimageX to view and edit,good luck.

Edited by bjfrog

Mr_Smartepants :thanks,i got some usefull information from the fisrt link,audit mode should be the channel MS provide to her OEM parter to deploy OEM system,so this method is reasonable and i think the image generated using this method is clean and minimum.

ricktendo64 and MrNxDmX: now i have to use this method until vlite develop slimstream sp2 button.

Update command line when cpatere installation image,Base on the first link above Mr_Smartepants provided

(Update 11: Also note that the "Business" specified after /flags should be replaced with one of the following if another version of Vista/S2008 is being captured:
HomeBasic
HomePremium
Starter
Ultimate
Enterprise
ServerDatacenter
ServerEnterprise
ServerStandard
The emphasis being there should be no space between the words.)

SO if the installed edtion is Ultimate the flags must be "Ultimate"

update: installing service pack 2 in silent mode

run cmd

Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe /quiet /norestart

base on MS techNet

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...5037.aspx#Scen2

Command-line options

Use the options, described in the following table, to define the way Windows Vista SP2 is installed. You can precede the following options with either a forward slash (/) or a hyphen (-). Note that the options are not case-sensitive, and XXX stands for either x86 or x64.

Syntax:

windows6.0-kb948465-XXX.exe [/quiet] [/nodialog] [/norestart]

windows6.0-kb948465-XXX.exe [/quiet] [/nodialog] [/forcerestart | /warnrestart[:<Seconds>]] [/promptrestart]

For example, to run the installation file in quiet mode without restarting the computer, type windows6.0-kb948465-x86.exe /quiet /norestart.

wow seem nobody interesting in this topic,

but it work fine to me,

Hope easy way and sp2 slimstreamer been released, DONT forget PM me,thanks

as the reseller only provided me a disc with SP0 since i destroyed the revocery from hidden protect area in my harddisk,its pain to update and update.

• 3 weeks later...