Windows Home Server (Installation)

Here are a few things that I have wrote and got off the internet that will help you with Windows Home Server installation

if you can't find what you are looking for, then look on the Microsoft Offical Windows Homer Server Forums

Specs of my Server:

> Mainboard : Foxconn SiS-741

> Chipset : SiS 741GX

> Processor : AMD Sempron @ 1333 MHz

> Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )

> Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDW/DVD SH-M522C

> Monitor Type : LL-T15A4-H - 15 inches

> Network Card : SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Professional 5.02.3790 Service Pack 2 (Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3)

Blank Regional Settings

When I started to install Windows Home Server I already had an problem.. When you get to the point of having to select your regional settings (Which is the first point of the installation process) it didn't show anything, it was just blank. I clicked on it to see if anything would show and nothing so i just clicked next and it rebooted and went back to them same screen, which happened 5 times of trying.. as this had me really :censored: off I then thought that i've been having problems with my hard drives i've had in my system so I took one out and tried again and it worked.

Anwser:

So if you get this weird error with more than one Hard Drive in your system, then unplug all apart from one and run the installation again and it should work. After installation has finished add the drives again.

Windows Home Server Installation throws a BSOD (0x0000007B)

After copying installation files, it reboots and I got the dreaded 0x0000007B error. The subsequent error code indicates that it is a 0xc0000034 - This status code translates to STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND. This is the most common status code and is usually caused by a missing or corrupt driver.

Awnser:

If it's the drivers it's most likely missing storage drivers. Please note you also need to provide these drivers at the beginning of the text mode install on a floppy disk (press F6 when prompted at the bottom of the screen to install additional drivers). Also please not you should leave the DVD in the drive until the installation is completely finished.

Alternatively you can set the drives to run in IDE mode in the system BIOS.

If it's not storage drivers please check if Windows Home Server (or Windows 2003) is supported on this machine, then contact Dell for appropriate drivers, or set drives to run in IDE mode.

WHS Connector Error - date and time differ significantly

When trying to install the WHS Connector, you might get the message "The date and time on your home computer and home server differ significantly. This interferes with security certificate functionality. Ensure that the date and time are correct on both computers, and then install connector software again".

Awnser:

The problem is that the machine thought the WHS connector software had already been run, so, it was in a mode where it was trying to add client computers. so, the server is in a state where it has to be reinstalled to recover... use the process which reinstalls the server and attempts to save data... after the reinstallation; run WHS Connector and it should work.

Remote Access Problems

Verifying that Remote Access is available on your home server - FAILED

When setting up your Remote Access on your home server it will try to configure the network and should be sorted after it has finished.

Awnser:

If you get this error then try doing this:

First unconfigure both the router and domain.

Then configure the domain first end the router afterwards.

I'll be adding more....