I've seen a couple of questions regarding creating a Windows 7 iso that will fit when burned to a single single-layer DVD but I haven't found a guide for this and my attempts so far have failed.  If there is a thread with detailed instructions on this already please point me to it.

I have a Win 7 Pro SP1 Dell OEM disk which I would like to add the chipset and network driver packs to  as well as all updates.  I don't need the other editions which are on the disk such as ultimate or home but removing them doesn't appear to change the size of the ISO that is created.  I can create a USB drive using the ISOs I make so this isn't a rush but I would definitely like to have the ability to create a smaller disk than what I started with and I'm sure I'm just missing something incredibly simple to make this happen.  Any tips on how to shrink the output down would be appreciated.  I'm used to using RVM Integrator, nLite, and Driver Packs on XP disks and the whole .wim thing is new to me as is multiple editions (home/pro/ultimate) on one disk.

Thanks,

Fiernaq

P.S. Great looking program, clean interface and fairly intuitive AiO option (some of the more advanced features aren't quite as user friendly but then again I wouldn't expect them to be).

There should be an option in WinToolKit that will make sure everything is as small as possible on your wim image.  That should help to "reduce" space when removing the 'other' editions.

If the above does not help, your only other option is to reduce what is integrated into your image or possibly even removing some components from your image.  (That or get a dual layer DVD and/or use a USB stick to install from.)

I considered the "Dell OEM" dvd issue.  I guess it would depend on if the OEM dvd had more stuff put on it than just the OS.  If the "extra" packages are added through DISM, it should be nearly as easy to remove with DISM.  However, it Kel is right and it would be likely easier to just use a plain jane Win7 SP1 dvd and then add/inject from there.  If I remember correctly, the bios should already have part of the certificate, and he would just need to add the correct key/certificate to the OS.

Its probably Captured image with all Dell stuff + extra junk installed and you cannot remove those with dism, in fact there is no easy way to remove that junk at all.

So it is always advisable to use fresh untouched MS ISO.

• 2 weeks later...

Dell OEM has worked with these tools for a long time; nLite, RVMI, RT7Lite, and it works with this tool as well (successfully created a USB install disk this way).  The problem is user based in that I don't know how to make the iso with just the needed files.  When I use the ISO Maker it takes the entire contents of my custom source folder and puts it in an ISO rather than just taking the 3GB wim file.  As stated earlier, removing the other editions doesn't change the file size of the iso at all.

So I guess the real question would be how do I actually remove the other editions from my source so that the iso made with the ISO Maker tool actually shrinks?

The other big space hog is language related content.  I've tried removing the language packs with the All In One tool but again, 0 difference in file size.  I'm assuming that the reason for both of these problems is that the program is changing the size of the .wim but not actually removing files from my source location and then the ISO Maker tool is still grabbing the entire source (since you can't select a .wim file with it - already tried) and shoving everything into an ISO.  I'm also assuming that this is not how it's supposed to work and that I'm just missing a setting somewhere to make the program actually remove that content.

And yes, I've tried with a retail disk as well with the exact same results.  I'm able to remove editions and language packs and all kinds of other stuff but the size of the created ISO doesn't change at all.

Remember, XP didn't use .wims so when you removed something with nLite or RVMI it was gone.  That file would no longer exist in the source you were using (why both of them made you copy the disk to the HDD before allowing you to do any editing).

Edited by fiernaq

I don't think you are going to be able to get the results you are looking for using Win Toolkit, or most any other current reliable tool for Win 7.  Two reasons.  (1) the size of the .wim with one edition, Pro or whatever, versus with all the editions is just not that big a difference.  It will be a little different, but not as much as you might think.  And in order to really see whatever small difference there is, I think you will need to completely extract the wim of the edition that you want to keep and remake your install disc using just that edition's wim.  (2) As to removing language files and other features of the OS that you wish to remove, Win Toolkit doesn't really remove most of them from the source, it just removes them from the install sequence if you will.  So your installed OS footprint is smaller, but the install source not so much.  At least that is my understanding.  Lego has been talking about implementing removal mechanisms similar to the way that vLite did it which should show a bigger reduction in install source size, but that has not been put in place yet.

Cheers and Regards

(2) As to removing language files and other features of the OS that you wish to remove, Win Toolkit doesn't really remove most of them from the source, it just removes them from the install sequence if you will.  So your installed OS footprint is smaller, but the install source not so much.  At least that is my understanding.  Lego has been talking about implementing removal mechanisms similar to the way that vLite did it which should show a bigger reduction in install source size, but that has not been put in place yet.

Cheers and Regards

i actually didn't know about that. i had assumed incorrectly removing actually removed the files.  thanks for the info

Thanks for the info, bphlpt.  That explains a bit of my confusion.

Just to clear things up a bit more, what you're saying is that most of the changes win toolkit does simply affects the installed size rather than the source size so no matter what changes I make, the source iso will probably remain rather close in size to the original?  If that's the case then my best bet really will be to use a USB drive for the install because adding any drivers or updates will easily cause the source total to grow larger than a single DVD.  I was able to shrink things a bit by not installing the additional updates from mcrip but even so I'm still sitting at 4.6GB and it won't fit on my 4.3GB DVDs without overburn.

@legolas, being able to shrink the source size would be great!