General: "Capture" Existing System / KB List

auser

Hello,

I am new to the whole topic. Just did my first basic installers ...

I did not find a answer to this basic questions - probably did not have the right search term.

for a first start without integrating KB update packs

for a matter of space i dont want to integrate all available KB update packs. thats quite a lot (600). my system installs around 150 after installation. selecting them manually is also quite some work.

- is it possible to capture the installed KBs on a running system and feed this list to the integrated update pack download tool in Win Toolkit?

- is it possible to capture a running system to a sort of Win Toolkit Preset or anything comparable? How?

greetings_gerd

Hi auser,

welcome in forum!

You can use the update-list from rhahgleuhargh and the WindowsUpdateDownloader : you download with those lists ONLY the KBs asked by windows update (146) after a fresh installation with SP1; optional you can download: IE11 (french), XP-Mode, RDP.

The only thing you have to do separately is to download the IE11 in your language (which one?).

Regards, Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee

ah ha...

so that's why there's 600 updates in the alpha download list!...never knew why..thx

regards...

Because in the Alpha D/L are ALL the updates, hotfixes and so on MS has released for every feature Windows 7 can, for example RSAT, DCA, Active Directory and so on and you should know, which  updates you download and use!

The U/L from rhahgleuhargh downloads ONLY updates, hotfixes, security asked by Windows Update.

WU will never ask for 600 updates...

Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee

Hello Thiersee,

OK, as far as i understand it, this is a sort of half way solution for me - i am looking for a programm which fetches the updates actually installed in my system and create for example a .ulz list for download. But anyway a starting point. i have a english version. internet explorer doesn't matter for me - i only use it for updates.

- would like to avoid specific updates [windows defender for example]

a shame that this .ulz format is binary

- do you know if the updates are directly downloaded from microsoft?

regards Gerd

- would like to avoid specific updates [windows defender for example]

- ONLY windows updates are in the UL from rhahgleuhargh.

What do you mean with binary?

You can unpack the .ULZ-List with 7zip, you get the editable list in .UL-format and you can edit this list with f.e. Notepad++

Yes.

Thiersee

Yes they are.

An ulz file is actually a zipped xml (text) file with ul extension that you can open with your favorite text editor and see all the download urls.

i am looking for a programm which fetches the updates actually installed in my system and create for example a .ulz list for download.

That's not possible, because such program will need the download links, but at least a program like WUL from Nirsoft can list all the updates installed on your sytem.

edit: Thiersee already answered....