Help creating W7 ISO for 8GB SSD on Dell Inspiron Mini 9

thestem

Hi,

Topic title says it all. I'm trying to get 7 HP onto a Dell Mini with a 8GB PATA SSD. I've now done it twice -- straight up and by stopping the process at the first reboot and telling it to compress Windows files as described here: http://gizmodo.com/5257386/how-to-install-windows-7-on-almost-any-netbook

Neither has made any difference. I'm bumping up against the ceiling of the drive. So, I want to strip out whatever I can within reason. I thought perhaps someone here has done this exact process with such a small SSD and would have some tips (also, I'd like to integrate updates into the ISO but that's gravy).

Thanks to anyone who can tell me how I can safely remove some clunk and get a nice, shiny ISO that leaves me with, hopefully, a couple of GB on this little SSD.

Dumb question, but any chance of just installing a larger SSD?  I know when it was first offered six years ago a 16GB SSD was an option, and these days you should be able to find a 32GB or 64GB SSD for around US$40.

Cheers and Regards

Dumb question, but any chance of just installing a larger SSD?  I know when it was first offered six years ago a 16GB SSD was an option, and these days you should be able to find a 32GB or 64GB SSD for around US$40.

Cheers and Regards

Yeah, but I'm trying to avoid putting any dough into it at all. I checked eBay and they have 16GB ones for around $30, but it really isn't even worth that to me. Thx.

The problem with your goal then is that even if you are able to squeeze Win7 onto the disc, you likely won't have any room left to do anything.  Why not just put a version of XP back on it?  You'll have more room left and it might work better on this older hardware.  Again, that's just my opinion.

Cheers and Regards

The problem with your goal then is that even if you are able to squeeze Win7 onto the disc, you likely won't have any room left to do anything.  Why not just put a version of XP back on it?  You'll have more room left and it might work better on this older hardware.  Again, that's just my opinion.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks, but 7 is/was the goal. If it won't work it won't work. I was just hoping there was a way to trim a gig out of the installation.

OK, if you insist, then you can try to use either Win Toolkit or NTLite to create an install source that can result in a smaller installed OS, but you'll have to get advice on what you can remove from someone else since I personally prefer to remove nothing from my OS, but just disable what I don't need.  I've found I have less problems that way.

Cheers and Regards

Using Win Toolkit was my whole idea in the first place (sorry if that wasn't clear). I just thought posting in this forum people would assume I was wanting to strip 7 HP down using Win Toolkit. Personally I don't care about removing WMP and some other stuff, so I was hoping someone could advise me who had already gone through the steps on an old netbook with a small SSD (a few Asus Eee PC and other models also were manufactured with 8GB IDE SSDs that originally came with either XP or some variant of Linux). Thx.

Let me know if you want me to move this thread to the Win Toolkit subforum.

Cheers and Regards

Yes, please. I obviously should have put it there in the first place.  :newhere:

Done

Edited by bphlpt
Moved thread