Windows 10 Fonts and Sizes

totem

Hi:

After installing Windows 10 I found settings to adjust sizes and fonts for everything except for the items I attached images for;

I'd like fonts to be bigger on all programs that appear on the desktop, and I'd like the size of the icons to be bigger in the notification area.

How is it done? Thanks - Jeremy

app-font1.jpg

app-font-2.jpg

notification-area-icons.jpg

small-font.jpg

Edited by totem

Hi NIM:

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I should have mentioned that I did see all items can be made bigger by raising the resolution, but I would like to keep the resolution at 100% (default) and I would rather raise the font size that affects the items in the attachments above. I already raised all the font sizes in the fields available in the attachment below, but they don't affect many items.

Previous versions of Windows made changing the font size of anything very easy. I'd like to know how the developers at Microsoft see Win 10 as an improvement in this regard.

fonts-raised.jpg

Edited by totem

Herer's what I have found out..

GDI is gone.
Changing the font size in the display applet affects universal apps, but not win32 (well, at least not most of them). The majority of desktop/legacy apps will be affected by the increase in "zoom".
However, any apps that are not directx-aware will basically be unaffected by either (remember the ability to set "xp style" zoom in previous versions of Windows?  This did that).
Expected behavior here in Windows 10 unfortunatelly.

3 hours ago, totem said:

Previous versions of Windows made changing the font size of anything very easy. I'd like to know how the developers at Microsoft see Win 10 as an improvement in this regard.

I don't think that the MS developers gave as much thought to improving every aspect of the user's Windows experience as the users thought/wished they did.

This is just one more example of a feature that worked perfectly well in previous versions of Windows that has been removed in the later versions for no particular reason that I am aware of.  And yet the installed size of the OS continues to grow exponentially. :( 

[OT rant]
I'm holding on to my Windows 7 installation until they pry it from my cold dead hands, and then I'll probably either switch to Linux or go back to XP.  There are projects going on such as SP4 and KernelEx to extend the life and capabilities of XP which might keep it relevant and under the user's complete control.  Seriously though, with a lot of attention and care I think that Windows 7 will continue to be compatible and viable for quite some time. :)
[/OT rant]

Cheers and Regards

Thanks NIM and bphlpt.

I was hoping there would be a setting for the items in question, but it seems MS has just done away with more than that; very stupid of the so called MS "developers". Although, my Acronis images of Windows 10 are equal in size to those of Windows 7, about 31 gigs. Is there no setting for the rest of the items in Windows 10?

Maybe Windows 7 should now be called Windows 11.

Edited by totem