[How-to] Add Recycle Bin to start menu

cygnus

How-To: Recycle Bin on the Start Menu

By Cygnus, Tom, VA(s)T, ricktendo64, and oxcoxp

NOTE: Also adds "Show Recycle Bin icon on desktop" to Folder Options, Show/Hide "Recycle Bin" to Start Menu Properties

recycledq7.png

Instructions:

Download INF file, right click on it and click "Install" then reboot.

Disclaimer

This tweak is freely distributable, but, if you are going to modify this registry tweak and post it on the internet, please give credit where its due. I do not condone plagiarism. So please give credit where it's due. Tom, VA(s)T, ricktendo64, oxcoxp, Arnab and myself worked hard on getting this registry tweak working.

Thank you.

Thanks go out to all who helped work on this project.

Change Log:

01-12-20 v0.3

Added Empty Recycle Bin to Context Menu (thanks to Arnab)

Slimed down RegEntries (thanks to Sanjay)

01-12-07 v0.2

Added Right Click: Properties, Rename, Open and Explorer entries to Recycle Bin shortcut (thanks to oxcoxp, only Empty Recycle Bin left Razz)

RecycleSMD.zip

Edited by cygnus

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The command to open the Recycle Bin is "C:\Program Files\recycle.lnk". I just had it point to a shortcut I created in the program files directory from the recycle bin.

Heres the code for the option to disable the icon on the desktop.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\RecycleBinOnDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"
"Text"="Show Recycle Bin icon on the desktop"
"Type"="checkbox"
"ValueName"="{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

This will put it in the folder options window, near the bottom of the scroll list.

The command to open the Recycle Bin is "C:\Program Files\recycle.lnk". I just had it point to a shortcut I created in the program files directory from the recycle bin.
Thats kinda Odd, there should be some script or command to do this, Ill try to find out if there is

BTW: %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,32 is the Windows Icon for the Recycle Bin

Thanks, that should drastically help, mainly in keeping it all self contained. Thanks again Rick ;)

Edit: maybe we should use the shout box to make this a bit easier on us :P

Edited by cygnus

It doesn't appear to have worked. :blink:

I put it in in:

Location\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance\InitPropertyBag

String: Param1

Value: Explorer /N,::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

I get an error on launching it:

Windows Cannot Find: 'Explorer /N,::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if it was possible to move the icon any where else, while I proved it was, it drastically changed a lot of other things, including the icons on the desktop. I replaced My Network Places with it and it worked, until I rebooted. Then it would say that it was My Network Places again, but it had the Recycle Bin icon and it opened the wrong folder. So it will have to stay with the Manufacturer Link.

Edited by cygnus

Awsome, I gotta check through this to see what you changed now :P

Amazing Rick, thank you so much. Thanks go out to Tom and VA(s)T as well :thumbsup_anim:

Heres another one that we could add to it:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]

"@shell32.dll,-30516"="Show Recycle Bin"

That will also make it say "Show Recycle Bin" in the properties of the start menu.

Edited by cygnus

I changed Recycle Bin Title to @%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,-8964 (the location of the actual Recycle Bin Title Windows Uses)

Changed InfoTip to @%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,-22915 (The location for the InfoTip Windows Uses)

I also changed the Show/Hide name of the Manufacturer from the generic Manufacturer to Recycle Bin or @%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,-8964

P.S. Re-Copy and Re-Apply the .reg file I just fixed a typo... I had a left over period in the info tip line

lol, good idea :lol:

Oh, did you change the name of the option from "Manufacturer Link" to anything other than that? I did that on mine, and every once in a while, it will change back to the default. I wonder if theres a way to fix that.

I'm going to keep an idea on it for now and see what happens. I'll let you know.