Microsoft steps up its Windows campaign with a 4-year-old

Sicarius

As expected, Microsoft debuted the next phase of its $300 million campaign at the Grammys yesterday. The ad is a very good one, not because it uses a 4-and-a-half year old little girl, but because it actually shows her using Windows and Windows Live to get a task done. Kylie takes a digital camera with which she took a picture of her pet fish "Dorothy," connects it to her laptop, and then uses Windows Live Photo Gallery to edit it and share it with her mom and dad. The ad finishes with Kylie saying "I'm a PC and I'm four and a half." In case you didn't watch the Grammys last night, here's the video:

Microsoft recently folded its Windows Live team into the Windows team, so it's not a big surprise to see a Windows Live application featured in this advertisement. I hope the software giant makes a trend out of featuring Windows Live applications in its ads, or at the very least, actually using the software that the ad is promoting. Not all of the ads have to use little kids, though considering this third stage is called "Rookies," I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The young age of the commercial's star does get the message across that Microsoft's software is easy to use, and no one can argue that cuteness doesn't help.

Full Story: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009...45-year-old.ars