How can I change architecture in wim info

nice_guy75

I don't know how I get into this, but I have trimmed my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and x64) and then tried to make a multiboot OS of full version and trimmed versions of Windows 7 Ultimate, but when I tried to install I see x64 against my x86 OS and x86 against x64 OS. See the screenshot:

24g7rdi.jpg

The highlighted one is actually x86 and the last on is actually x64 but you can see x64 against x86 OS and x86 against x64 OS.

I guess it is in the wim itself as I have already tried to delete the wim and re-merge but same result. I presume that I need to edit some xml in the install.wim but I am not sure which xml and what to edit in that xml, please help me guys.

You can use GImageX.exe or W7T! And read the Name, Desciption, Displayname and Dsiplaydescription inside the .xml file and to see where are the errors! Change the values to suit your needs!

I have already tried to change the name and description with gimagex but no success, BTW which xml should I check for "Architecture"?

Edited by nice_guy75

You can use:

imagex.exe /info %systemdrive%\Distribution_Folder\sources\install.wim

And you will see where are the errors!

Using imagex.exe /info is usefull to read all descriptions and architecture about images inside install.wim.

I think it's not an error about Architecture but about: Name, Description and/or Displayname, Displaydescription.

You can use 7zip and open the install.wim file...Copy the [1].xml file on a folder and open this one.

The file [1].xml is read with imagex.exe /info

<ARCH>0</ARCH> = Architecture x86

<ARCH>9</ARCH> = Architecture amd64

You can also use:

Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:"%systemdive%\Distribution_Folder\sources\install.wim"

You can change the values with W7T !

Images using W7T to change values:

https://skydrive.liv...10&sc=documents

*Edit: Please, attach your xml info!

Edited by myselfidem

Thanks mate, but error is Architecture itself, this screenshot would help you understand better, just see the screenshot closely, II image is of x86 but OS selection window is showing "x64" also see the mount folder where I have mounted the 2nd image, there is no "Programe files (x86)" means it is a x86 OS. Secondly W7T, imagex and gimagex can only edit the Name, Description, Display Name and Display Description only, but can change the "Architecture"

problembd.jpg

I have also open the wim with 7zip and I have found that <ARCH>9</ARCH> is there in index 2 and <ARCH>0</ARCH> in index 4, and it should be <ARCH>0</ARCH> in index 2 and <ARCH>9</ARCH> in index 4, and the worst part we can't edit the xml in 7zip.

Can you please tell me where is this [1].xml which we see in 7zip or wim info xml so that I can edit it and solve my problem?

I have also attached xml info and [1].xml which I have taken out from the install.wim by opening it with 7zip.

1.xml

wim info.txt

It's strange because [1].xml file and wininfo,txt aren't the same!

It seems you used GImageX.exe to change : Name, Description, Displayname and Displaydescription.

You can try to use W7T to change the values or use a new time imagex.exe /export

First check the size about your images for x86 and amd64 and use imagex.exe /export:

Example (adapt to your needs and chek the image size for x86 or amd64 images [Full and Trimmed]):

imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Full) x86"
imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 2 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Trimmed) x86"
imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 3 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Full) x64"
imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 4 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Trimmed) x64"

Sorry mate, that was my mistake, actually I have taken out the [1].xml from the install.wim and then edited and tried to replace in the install.wim (by opening it with 7zip) but I couldn't and mistakenly I have upload the same edited [1].xml.

And yes, you are right I did try to change the Name, Description, Display name and Display Description by gimagex but it didn't work for me and now I am damn sure there is some problem in the trimmed wims as this architecture problem is only in trimmed wims, full OS wims are just fine. I just need to know the way to edit the <arch>o<arch> and <arch>9<arch> thing in the [1].xml or in some other place. I wonder how can we edit the wim info other than those which we can, in gimagex?

Here is the actual xml.

1.xml

I think you can try to use a new time imagex.exe /export, like this:

Example (adapt the paths and folder names to suit your needs):

imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Full) x86"
imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 2 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Trimmed) x64"
imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 3 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Full) x64"
imagex /export C:\Win7_AIO\sources\install.wim 4 .\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (Trimmed) x86"

Install fist WAIK for Windows 7 to use imagex.exe!

Because it seems when you have merged your images some descriptions deosn't match the architecture!

• 3 months later...

You can use the /info command to add more titles to the wim. I use...

imagex /info "%~dp0\NT6\Win7D.wim" 1 "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (Updated and Drivers)" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (Updated and Drivers)"

imagex /info "%~dp0\NT6\Win7D.wim" 2 "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (Updated and Drivers)(x64)" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (Updated and Drivers)(x64)"

imagex /compress maximum /export "%~dp0\NT6\Win7D.wim" 1 "%~dp0\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (Updated and Drivers)"

imagex /compress maximum /export "%~dp0\NT6\Win7D.wim" 2 "%~dp0\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (Updated and Drivers)(x64)"