[AIO] Microsoft Visual B/C++/F#/J# Redistributable x86/x64

ricktendo

I was about to do that, but I was planning a secondary installer just trying to decide what installer engine to use. I think a inno setup (that creates no uninstall entries) is best because of restart replacement and file registration, I can also probably add some user choices weather to install old 16bit vb runtimes and only offer them on 32bit installs

So no updating a live system with it?

HUH!?!?

You want the old runtimes uninstalled you have to manually uninstall them, you want a installer that does this automatically use burfadels aio vc installer

I dont add it because I dont know how effective it would be scanning the registry with a 32bit installer on a 64bit system and I see no need for this so called "feature"

LOL - OK - I was thinking about the case if a new update comes out for 2010 next month. You can just run the updated installer on a live system and everything will work just fine, right? Or does it need to have the existing one uninstalled or not? Sorry, I'm a little bit confused.

Cheers and Regards

Lets say hypothetically a new vc 2008 redist hotfix comes out, I have to apply my mst (changes the productcode property) to fool WU into thinking its KB2538243. For the new package to install successfully you have to uninstall the current vc 2008 redist (because it also has the same productcode,) then to install you would use the updated installer with

VCRedist_AIO_x86_x64.exe /ai8

BTW do you guys think I should add Visual F# and Visual J# Runtimes?

You would be able to skip them during gui install with SHIFT or unattended install with /ai

Yes I agree. In fact, it seems to me to make sense to have one pack for all the Visual Runtimes, the way that RogueSpear used to have, but I'm sure others might disagree.

Thanks for the explanation, Rick, about needing to uninstall the previous runtime redist prior to installing the new one. But since that is true, then I'm not sure I understand your point about the uninstaller being an unneeded "feature". Unneeded for a fresh install, but it seems needed for an update on a live system, or am I missing something?

Cheers and Regards

I got an error code 2337 on F# 2.0 runtime when installing the AIO installer on VM (Win7 x64).

Do you have .net2 or .net4 installed?

BTW: updated rev2 to fix hidden uninstall entry of vj# x64 (removed ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT from property)