Everything Search Engine - v1.3.3.658b

Geej

Thanks Geej!

Yes the Task is created on my computer with Windows 7 x86.

However I put the Everything_Schedule.bat on a diet and works on Windows XP and Windows 7 x86.

On Windows XP the task is created but the icon doesn't appear on the task bar ?

Maybe you can add inside the Everything.inf the task command for Windows XP ?

Everything_Schedule.bat

::*******************************************:::: Everything_Schedule.bat                   :::: Set variables TaskName, Task and go ahead :::: http://myunster.com]http://myunster.com   ::::*******************************************::@ECHO offREM Set variablesSET TaskName=EverythingREM Following task will be executed on Logon:: Detect OS bit-ness on running system.:: Assumes 64-bit unless 64-bit components do not exist.SET "ARCH=64"IF NOT EXIST "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe" (                IF NOT DEFINED PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 SET "ARCH=32"        )        ::Begin install        IF "%ARCH%"=="64" (        SET Task=\"C:\Program Files (x86)\Everything\Everything.exe\" -startup        ) ELSE (        SET Task=\"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe\" -startup        )REM Determine windows versionFOR /F "tokens=2* delims= " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v "ProductName"') DO SET OSVer=%%BECHO %OSVer% | FINDSTR /I "XP" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_xpFOR /F "tokens=* delims= " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v "ProductName"') DO SET OS=%%AECHO %OS% | FINDSTR /I "Vista" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_vistaECHO %OS% | FINDSTR /I "7" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_7:ver_xpSCHTASKS /Create /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%" /RU "SYSTEM" /SC ONLOGONGOTO exit:ver_vista::Run Windows Vista specific commands here.GOTO Elevation:ver_7SCHTASKS /Create /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%" /SC ONLOGON /RL HIGHESTGOTO Elevation:ElevationREM Don't forget escape double quotes for CMD argument that you will pass to powershellPushD "%~dp0"IF EXIST "%~0.ELEVATED" DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"SET Argument=SCHTASKS /Create /F /TN \"%TaskName%\" /TR \"%Task%\" /SC ONLOGON /RL HIGHESTSET ELEVATED_CMD=PowerShell -Command (New-Object -com 'Shell.Application').ShellExecute('Cmd.exe', '/C %Argument%', '', 'runas')ECHO %ELEVATED_CMD% >> "%~0.ELEVATED"CALL %ELEVATED_CMD%DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"PopDGOTO exit:exitEXIT
SFX file updated on Mediafire for testing.

Thanks and regards

Edited by myselfidem

Hi myselfidem

I have no wish to add xp support for .WA addon (and I could not get the syntax right via inf)
But if you are using for your own use using Everything_Schedule.bat,
I have experiment around in XP VM to check the required syntax to get icon appear on system tray.
(I assumed you are using the batch code you post in #101)

Find this section in the batch file (around line 31) and run the batch file.

:ver_xp
::SCHTASKS /Create /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%" /RU "SYSTEM" /SC ONLOGON
SCHTASKS /Create /S \\%userdomain% /RU %username% /RP justforfun /sc ONLOGON /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%"
pause && REM delete this entire line after test.
GOTO exit

Just my thought on the followings (may not be 100% right, still learning...)
The reason why the original code for XP did not work is because {/RU "SYSTEM"} runs as {NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM} context.
This context is non-interactive. That is why no system tray icon shown up on your systray.
(non-interactive means you can't bring up the program GUI to make your search as you cannot interact with the program interface).

So to create an interactive logon, you need to provide a user name & password. This password is use to login to XP.
My XP do not have login password as it is autoboot+login to desktop w/o password.
Hence I have to create a password (I use justforfun as password as an example) for myself so that I can create a task schedule.

I must admit getting the correct syntax is harder in XP than in Win7 because many switches are not available.
I have a hard time figuring out what should be the parameters for /S
By trial and error and lots of guessing, finally got this magic syntax '\\%userdomain%'.
The %userdomain% can simply view the actual value on console box using set command (set command w/o passing any parameters).

You can also modify line 20 which has

SET Task=\"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe\" -startup
to
SET Task=\"%ProgramFiles%\Everything\Everything.exe\" -startup

You can test your batch but each time you test, you must delete the existing taskname, otherwise your batch will be pause/error out and your task will not be created.

2 useful XP commands syntax if you are testing on the console.

schtasks /query (to view if task is created successfully)
schtasks /delete /TN Everything /F (quickly clear task before re-test the batch file)

HTH...

On the other hand, I choose to run "Everything" as a portable app, ie not actually installed, and with no registration entries and do not have it ever show up on the task bar at all.  In fact, I use the search function infrequently enough that I do not keep the program running and only launch it when I actually need to search for something.  But to each their own.

Cheers and Regards

As I have posted earlier, there is no need to start it from a task in XP, just use the autostart option in the program itself or create the key in the registry.

Correct. I remove the HKLM....,Run key for .WA addon.

And keep HKLM....,Run key for XP inf addon

But for myselfidem

his question was how to run get the icon appear using task scheduler.

@myselfidem, you can also add HKLM....,Run key if you wish. (See mooms post #90).

Note: It will be removed during uninstall

Just looking forward to see new update from the developer.

@Geej!

Using your help I created a new batch file for Windows XP and Windows 7 working fine for me:

Everything_Shedule.bat

::*******************************************:::: Everything_Schedule.bat                   :::: Set variables TaskName, Task and go ahead :::: http://myunster.com]http://myunster.com   ::::*******************************************::@ECHO offREM Delete variable, may be cachedSET TaskName=EverythingSET "Result="FOR /F "delims=, tokens=2" %%I IN ('schtasks /query /fo csv /v /TN "%TaskName%"') DO SET Result=%%IIF (%Result%)==() SET Result="-1"IF "\%TaskName%" == %Result% (REM Delete Task if it exists                SCHTASKS /Delete /TN "%TaskName%" /F)REM Following task will be executed on Logon:: Detect OS bit-ness on running system. Assumes 64-bit unless 64-bit components do not exist.SET "ARCH=64"IF NOT EXIST "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe" (                IF NOT DEFINED PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 SET "ARCH=32"        )        ::Begin install        IF "%ARCH%"=="64" (        SET Task=\"%%ProgramFiles(x86)%%\Everything\Everything.exe\" -startup        ) ELSE (        SET Task=\"%%ProgramFiles%%\Everything\Everything.exe\" -startup        )REM Determine windows versionFOR /F "tokens=2* delims= " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v "ProductName"') DO SET OSVer=%%BECHO %OSVer% | FINDSTR /I "XP" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_xpFOR /F "tokens=* delims= " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v "ProductName"') DO SET OS=%%AECHO %OS% | FINDSTR /I "Vista" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_vistaECHO %OS% | FINDSTR /I "7" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_7:ver_xpREM Enter a password if needed on /RPSCHTASKS /Create /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%" /RU "%userdomain%" /RP "" /SC ONLOGONGOTO exit::ver_vista::Run Windows Vista specific commands here.::GOTO Elevation:ver_7SCHTASKS /Create /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%" /SC ONLOGONGOTO Elevation:ElevationREM Don't forget escape double quotes for CMD argument that you will pass to powershellPushD "%~dp0"IF EXIST "%~0.ELEVATED" DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"SET Argument=SCHTASKS /Create /F /TN \"%TaskName%\" /TR \"%Task%\" /SC ONLOGONSET ELEVATED_CMD=PowerShell -Command (New-Object -com 'Shell.Application').ShellExecute('Cmd.exe', '/C %Argument%', '', 'runas')ECHO %ELEVATED_CMD% >> "%~0.ELEVATED"CALL %ELEVATED_CMD%DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"PopDGOTO exit:exitEXIT

File updated on Mediafire for testing.

Thanks and regards

Edited by myselfidem

If this works:

:ver_7SCHTASKS /Create /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%" /SC ONLOGON

then this seems redundant:

PushD "%~dp0"IF EXIST "%~0.ELEVATED" DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"SET Argument=SCHTASKS /Create /F /TN \"%TaskName%\" /TR \"%Task%\" /SC ONLOGONSET ELEVATED_CMD=PowerShell -Command (New-Object -com 'Shell.Application').ShellExecute('Cmd.exe', '/C %Argument%', '', 'runas')ECHO %ELEVATED_CMD% >> "%~0.ELEVATED"CALL %ELEVATED_CMD%DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"PopD

I wouldn't think you would need to run SCHTASKS twice, once directly and once via Powershell.  If you do, why?

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

After many , many tests I found the Elevated command doesn't work for many reasons!

I improved the batch file and works on Windows XP and Windows 7 32bit and 64bit (tested on my computers)!

Everything_Schedule.bat

::*******************************************:::: Everything_Schedule.bat                   :::: Set variables TaskName, Task and go ahead ::::*******************************************::@ECHO offREM Set variablesSET TaskName=EverythingREM Following task will be executed on Logon:: Detect OS bit-ness on running system. Assumes 64-bit unless 64-bit components do not exist.SET "ARCH=64"IF NOT EXIST "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe" (               IF NOT DEFINED PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 SET "ARCH=32"        )        ::Begin install        IF "%ARCH%"=="64" (        SET Task=\"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Everything\Everything.exe -startup\"        ) ELSE (        SET Task=\"%ProgramFiles%\Everything\Everything.exe -startup\"        )REM Determine windows versionFOR /F "tokens=2* delims= " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v "ProductName"') DO SET OSVer=%%BECHO %OSVer% | FINDSTR /I "XP" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_xpFOR /F "tokens=* delims= " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v "ProductName"') DO SET OS=%%AECHO %OS% | FINDSTR /I "Vista" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_vistaECHO %OS% | FINDSTR /I "7" >NULIF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO ver_7:ver_xpSCHTASKS /Create /S %userdomain% /U %username% /RU %username% /SC ONLOGON /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%"::ver_vista::Run Windows Vista specific commands here.::GOTO Elevation:ver_7:ElevationREG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v "C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" /t REG_SZ /d RUNASADMIN /f >NUL PushD "%~dp0"IF EXIST "%~0.ELEVATED" DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"SET Argument=SCHTASKS /Create /F /TN "%TaskName%" /TR "%Task%" /SC ONLOGONSET ELEVATED_CMD=PowerShell -Command %Argument%ECHO %ELEVATED_CMD% >> "%~0.ELEVATED"CALL %ELEVATED_CMD%DEL /F "%~0.ELEVATED"PopDGOTO exit:exitEXIT

HTH

Edited by myselfidem

Hi everybody,
Is this program ok for SSD disk drives? Does it shorten SSD Disk life because it works continuously at the background?  :g:

(I think it does read/write process continuously)

Edited by oguz

This addon does it without using batch file or xml. (A simpler approach to creating scheduler task).
I have tested with WTK 1.4.1.14 in VMx86. Works alright.
If no user feedback any issue (within 14 days), I will replace with this copy in post #1.

EverythingSearchEngineNew_1.3.0.632b.WA
Size: 431.97 Kb (442,338 bytes)
MD5: 7E0508E5800E68443AA917D1EDB775B1

Cheers

This addon does it without using batch file or xml. (A simpler approach to creating scheduler task).

Tested live install on Win7 X64 with VirtualBox:  install and uninstall, creation and deletion of the task, shortcuts, everything works without any glitches.

Congrats !

Thanks mooms & myselfidem for the feedback. Good to hear it works fine & install w/o glitches.
Thanks to bphlpt to try to script an alternative solution too. While it is not working, I still appreciate your time and effort to code .

I'm sure we have learn something from all these batch/inf/sfx scripting, esp task scheduler.
Breakthrough comes when exploring a solution for XP task scheduler.

After getting to know more schtasks command parameters in XP, I think it is possible using just switches and decided to experiment it out on win7. As it turns out, indeed it can be done. :)

Though the batch approach has not worked correctly, yet, I haven't given up on the approach since I'm sure there will be occasions where it will be useful.  I'll continue to keep you apprised of my progress.  If you don't mind Geej, I'll do so here since it sort of began here.  Once a "universal solution" can be found, or now if you would prefer, we can move the batch approach discussion to it's own thread so that it can be found more easily by others.

Cheers and Regards

Hi bphlpt

Please feel free at your discretion to keep us appraised, be it in this thread or new topics.

Since Vista and above have this kind of UAC added to the system, a general scheduler task using batch script would be very useful as generally more people understand batch better than other kind of script.

Keep in view for a breakthrough... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to 1.3.1.636b

Please uninstall any existing one before install this one as uninstall routine is very different.
This new one install as services, settings are now store in user's Appdata dir.
Auto startup entry in HKLM...run is needed now.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Tried your latest addon in a x64 VMBox environment, and got errors, probably due to the shortcut. Screenshots attached. Also, if I start the program from its installation folder, it does start and works ok, however the startup scheduled task isn't, so if I want to use it I have to start it everytime from the installation folder, as the shortcut from start menu doesn't work. :(

post-25565-0-75628500-1363700994_thumb.p

post-25565-0-46735800-1363700995_thumb.p

post-25565-0-37132700-1363700996_thumb.p

I think I know what is the problem. Now I change to 'Architecture:x86'. Pls retest.
('Architecture:' was set to dual but not working either as it is "blank'. So when 'blank', filecopy literally set accordingly just like !x86, i.e %programfiles%\Everything even in x64 system)

Kindly download from #1 again, thanks.

Also, important info in this thread from today. It's related to the latest service and how it doesn't need admin privileges (so yeah, the UAC shortcut really isn't needed anymore).

LE: Posted in the same time, going to test in about four - five hours, please take a look at the link, maybe some other changes are needed. :)

Edited by RicaNeaga

Also, important info in this thread from today. It's related to the latest service and how it doesn't need admin privileges (so yeah, the UAC shortcut really isn't needed anymore).

LE: Posted in the same time, going to test in about four - five hours, please take a look at the link, maybe some other changes are needed. :)

If I read correctly, the addon should install correctly. (no changes needed)

(Addon is installed as service, and program is auto startup from HKLM\...\run)

Cheers

Everything works great now on x64 (addon integrated with Win Toolkit). Great work!

Going to try it also on an x86 image, and post again if anything happens. But it's likely everything will be great also for x86, as only x64 was always a little problematic. :)

• 4 weeks later...