Integrate all 500+ updates?

HC_TM

Hello,

i've got a really quick question.

When I setup a default Windows 7 SP1 and use Windows Update to install all the updates i have like 100-200 Updates.

When i download the updates from McRips Update Server i have like 500+.

Are there any drawbacks if I integrate all those updates to my install dvd or is it even advised to do that?

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

Sincerely,

Tim

Edited by HC_TM

Quite a few of those updates are only applicable to specific installed packages in Windows 7.  If you do not have certain options installed, you do not need the update.  McRip includes as many updates on his server as possible just for completeness.  You probably do not need all of those updates as not all apply to your system.

While it will not hurt to have those extra updates integrated, the side effect is that your Windows 7 installation media will be a bit larger than normal.

• 1 month later...

There are different opinions as to that, but theoretically it should not impact the performance of your system.  (If you used KUC, I believe that you could end up with even more updates installed, at least that used to be the case, which some people consider a good thing. :) )

Cheers and Regards

While it will not hurt to have those extra updates integrated, the side effect is that your Windows 7 installation media will be a bit larger than normal.

And also the install size will be bigger, because all updates, even integrated, are still uninstallable. (backup of different files versions in Winsxs folder). Integration time will be also much much longer.

Maybe they are also other side effects that I not aware of. (install time? performance?)

Personally, I don't see the point to integrate so much updates, for me the less I integrate updates, the better it is, especially because of the point mentioned above. (XP was different, update packs replace completely the files updated with no backups).

So the better option to me is to integrate only updates requested by Windows Update (GDR updates), and eventually some LDR updates that you KNOW they will be useful to your system. (I'm not aware of any of these).

Two options to retrieve GDR updates: these updates lists by steven4554 or these updates packs maintained by me.

.Net 4.0 and .Net 4.5 have slimmed and up to date installers, thanks to ricktendo.

• 5 months later...

Look my project: :)

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/11709-project-full-updated-2014-iso/

Like the others said, except the size of iso/%windir%, you can integrate all without problems.

If it have any effect on performance, i cant say, may max 5%, but no matter with 4 cores. ^^

Just probaly you dont need all these "extra-updates", thats all.. ;)

Update:

Here thats my stuff atm.

(Probaly 15% superseded)

Edited by BrokenZer0

@BrokenZer0, I really think you would have more folks backing your approach if you could get rid of the superseded updates and the duplicates that aren't "twins".  But that's just my opinion, of course. :)  Congratulations on getting it all integrated without errors.

Cheers and Regards

@bphlpt

Yea, i think u'r right. :)

At the moment, its in experimental state.

But its hard work to find out which ones i can delete and all.

Hehe, thank you, with help from Wincert Forums, especially abbodi1406 and legos WTK it reach success. :)

Maybe with helping hands i can do this to a stable/final/clean state, but for first i will need a "supersed-detector" or some.

Cheers

Edited by BrokenZer0