Windows installer Pro

tsjippy

Hi,

I have built a program which copies your current user settings and data, reinstalls your machine, copies your user data back, installs several up to date software packages which you can select on before hand, and automatically installs all available microsoft updates.

Youre welcome to use it.

Download it from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hxlgelvhw8a6s7c/Tta6hhGLzX

The only thing you need is a folder with your windows files on a partition or an external hardisks root.

Optional is the tool ketarin (http://ketarin.org) and setup packages for your software.

It is currently translated in English and Dutch

Edited by tsjippy

Thanks, but before I would try or recommend something like this I would need a little more info about the program, such as how it is written, ie script or whatever, what are it's assumptions, options, requirements, etc, what exactly it does, step-by-step, and preferably the source so that I could make changes if I wanted.

Cheers and Regards

I would be very interested in a tool like this in fact I am redoing my system (once i can figure out what the correct updates are  :sad01_anim: ) and this could come in very handy. With all due respect and appreciation a program that actually works on your live system and and touches a persons data is scary so I'm sure some testing and evaluation will be in order thanks

The progam is written in Autoit,

what is touched can be defined in the SoftwareInstall.ini

There you can define which software cen be choosed from,

WHich software is default, which data should be copied to what location, which registrie settings should be exported and which folder should be deleted after the installation the software, at the end of the whole process.

As it is written in AutoIt nothing required, but I assume you are on a Windows 7 x86/x64 machine and want to go install it as windows 7 x64.

That is at least what I tested.

The main assumption is the folder structure: all software to be insttalled should be in the folder, one folder above the programs folder, so the executable and SoftwareInstall.ini needs its own folder

so step by step:

1 (Optional) modify SoftwareInstall.ini

2 start program

3 choose the software you want to have installed

4 CHoose the widows version (home ultimate etc)

5 set your profile password

6 Choose your disk layout, should your disk be formatted or not?

7 Give your serial

you have to confirm that you will start the installation

8 Setup will save your settings to temp.ini file

9 Update/download your executables with ketarin

10 Copy the data

11 Export registries

12 Edit the autounattend file to save your profilename, serialnumber, password etc.

13 Edit the bootloader

Confirm that you want to reboot

14 Reboot into the windows installation

15 Install windows

16 Set password to never expire

17 Enable file sharing

18 Update drivers

19 COnnect to network

20 activates windows

21 Enables Games

22 Installs the default and choosen software

23 Copy data

24 Import registries

25 Add the printer (if any)

26 Updates AVG antivirus if installed

27 Removes files

28 Scans for updates, and installs them

29 reboot, you have to confirm

30 scans again and reboots, updates again and again until no updates available except for manual updates

program can be run with two parameters:

.exe 1   installs software

.exe 2 Check and Install updates

all other switches will lead to a popup explaining the above two

Edited by tsjippy

Thank you for the information. Could you give a screenshot of Windows explorer or something showing the file/folder structure you mention?

The main assumption is the folder structure: all software to be insttalled should be in the folder, one folder above the programs folder, so the executable and SoftwareInstall.ini needs its own folder

Since it is written in AutoIt, would you mind sharing the source?

Cheers and Regards

yes I do mind:)

The thing I mean is this:

to let the program install 7-zip you give it in the SoftwareInstall.ini as 7-Zip=\7-zip\7z-x64.msi, /passive

if the program is in D:\Software\AutoInstall this will resolve in  D:\Software\7-zip\7z-x64.msi /passive

If you want to have the 7-zip executable somewhere else just edit the path like \..\7-zip\7z-x64.msi, /passive that will make it D:\7-zip\7z-x64.msi /passive

I would say: test it on a virtual machine, that is completely safe to try

Quick update... I did start to check this in a VM but I will have to get back to it because I am struggling with some of my other integration issues that I normally use. I didn't get pass the enter MS key portion so I really can't provide any valuable feedback yet. Thanks

Got a bad case of Bronchitis slowed me down a lot... trying it today though and will give some feedback

How did it go, compstuff?

Cheers and Regards

• 1 month later...

I have updated the program, you can now choose out of for options:

reinstall machine (or just save settings for another installation)

install software on current machine

install updates on current machine

Slipstream updates to image (during update installation the url's are stored in the .log file by that setup knows which updates to slipstream)

I made a new tool which has 4 options:

1 (re)install a machine

2 Install software

3 Install updates

4 Slipstream updates to an image.

With option one you can first specify which software you want to have installed on you new system, which serial, account name etc. to use.

After that all specified software settings are backupped, c:\users is backupped, and an autounnattend.xml is generated.

If specified the system will reboot, install windows, connect to the internet, activate windows, install software (option 2), install updates reboot, install remaining updates etc. until there are no more updates to install.

If not specified all settings are stored and you install another machine with it.

Option 2 and 3 are part of option 1 but can be runned individually as well.

Option 4 reads the logfile of a previous update installation, downloads the updates and slipstreams them to all indexes found in an install.wim file.

The software is one executable and an .ini file in which you can specify the software executables, and data to back up.

You can download it from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hxlgelvhw8a6s7c/Tta6hhGLzX

Optional is the tool ketarin (http://ketarin.org) and setup packages for your software.

If you use that tool, your installed software will always be up to date