Integration vs Slipstream vs SysPrep

pucelle

I feel like I am getting confused as I'm not quiet sure what's the difference between all these methods.  I know that some things can't be slip streamed but that means they can be integrated and/or SysPrep'd?  Would I just be better off installing everything and SysPreping the rest? Is SysPrep even around anumore is AOIK the replacement?

I would like to create a Windows 7 SP1 64 bit install ISO that I can use as a base install and to speed up fresh installs and have it be unattended.  I know that I have to download all the updates but I'm not sure what's the difference between all the different acronyms that are floationg around.

Can .NET 4.5, WMF 4.0, and IE 10 be integrated into an ISO without reverse integration?

Is there a tutorial somewhere that I am missing? I have about 15+ tabs open trying to figure out what needs to be done but they seem to be for individual tasks and I can't figure out if there is an order to how things need to be done.

Do I just need the inf's for the device drivers?

My guess is that it goes something like this:

1) Download all the post SP1 updates (cab, exe, mu?) and put them in a folder

2) Download all the applications needed (WMF 4.0, .NET 4.51, IE 10, Firefox, etc)

3) Make sure source files are available for Win7, Office Products, and other retail apps

4) Get all the updated drivers for devices and put in a seperate directory

5) Get all the updates for the other products and place in a different directory. I think the Office ones can also follow the same process and be slipstreamed.

6) Run Win ToolKit to integrate everything

7) Run Win ToolKit to customize everything

8) Run Win ToolKit to create the ISO

But that's too general and doesn't really help me.

I saw a post that said to use Moom's windows update, the .net from ricktendo, and the visual c++ from ricketendo but I wasn't sure if those are in addition to the other updates/hotfixes that can be downloaded and what step that's at.  If this has been posted somewhere and I couldn't find it please just point me in the direction.

Integration and Slipstream mean basically the same. It means you can integrate these with dism

Reverse Integration is another word for Sysprep. You do a regular install of your OS, but when you get to the OOBE part where you enter a username, you press Shift+Ctrl+F3 and you will be logged in to (the aministrator account in) audit mode... Here you install your apps like .net 4.5.1, updates that cannot be integrated/slipstreamed like WMF 4.0, Servicing Stack update, etc.

After you finish with audit mode, you generalize and shutdown your work, then you boot from another source and use dism to capture a image of the install you just made. This will give you a new install.wim with .net and other stuff you did during your audit mode session

Cool thanks, so dism is something that is included with Windows 7; was there an XP equivalent?  Sorry about all the questions but the last time I customized an install was back in the XP days and I was looking to slipstream SP3 and create customized installs for my work.

It seens a lot has changed since I left that world with Vista, Windows 7, and now Windows 8.1 {which I most likely won't be upgrading to}.

So I believe I saw somewhere on this forum (or msfn) a GUI app that someone made for dism and a link to the microsoft documentation I think is in one of my mariad of open tabs.  Is there a difference between DISM and the Windows Automated Installation Kit?

Ah ok so I do the integration first for everything that can be integrated and then do the re-verse itegration for the post-install stuff and use DISM to create an image from that.  Can I further integrate that image as more updates come out?

• 4 weeks later...

i find just using dism from a cmd prompt (run as admin)

is very easy to add all msu and cab files and maybe your product key and drivers to an offline image (will handle Win 8, 8.1 also)

i know this has been covered before everywhere!!! might help others though! :prop:

make 4 folders 

1=win7 (to contain your Windows 7 files from dvd extracted)

2=mount (the folder dism will mount to)

3=integration (inside make the 4th folder below)

4=x64 (or could be x32)

use the following cmd's

of course changing the drive letter to the right drive my case c (adding all the folders to the root of the drive)

i quickly open task manager and change the priority of Dism.exe & DismHost.exe to high for faster install

1= dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\win7\sources\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mount

2= dism /image:c:\mount /add-package /packagepath:c:\integration\x64 (will add all updates inside that folder 1 after the other)

also set your product key with this

dism /image:c:\mount /set-productkey:?????-?????-?????-?????-?????

you could also add drivers with this below

making another folder inside integration

1=Drivers

cmd's

1= mkdir c:\mount\Drivers

2= xcopy c:\integration\Drivers\* c:\mount\Drivers\ /cherkyi
Edited by darky