[Solved] Kaspersky Pure 3.0 flags wintoolkit a malware

andrum99

I began with a Windows 7 retail ISO image and integrated all security updates downloaded my Windows Updates Downloader. There is no traffic of any concern in my Wireshark capture. I did some of the run with my VM's antivirus disabled and it all looked OK. It seemed a lot faster in the VM - perhaps this is due to my using different antivirus.

Total time for the integration run was 50mins 5 secs. I did not attempt to run Windows Updates Downloader at any point - I simply used files that it downloaded previously. My next step is to run Windows Updates Downloader in a VM with Kaspersky Pure 3.0, then WinToolkit in a VM with Kaspersky Pure 3.0 to see what happens.

I found no evidence that there is anything untoward about WinToolkit. I am satisfied that WinToolkit contains nothing untoward, and is safe to use. I have therefore issued a full retraction on my website, and I apologise unreservedly for the problems I have caused here this evening.

Andrew Pattison.

I have put a request on the Kaspersky forums for an explanation as to why Pure 3.0 is red flagging the installer version of WinToolkit. I suspect that it doesn't like the crapware that the installer contains, since the portable version is not getting red flagged.