Hey Members!

So...

I have been using the technical preview as my secondary OS for a couple of days now, installed all drivers for Windows 8.1 and up until now everything works very good. It actually runs very similarly to Windows 8.1.

All software I use everyday works fine, no issues whatsoever, yet after a couple of hours (5+) of running, it becomes a little but sluggish, applications take longer to launch - sometimes they don't at all.

Reboot solves this problem.

There aren't any BSODs as of yet and no major problems.

I will continue using it more and more as a daily driver and report back :)

... what are your opinions guys?

Thanks for reading - Bart.

Played BF4 for 3 hrs today - performance didn't drop a bit - fps are even higher 3 - 6 that Windows 7! ;D

I have converted a .avi movie to .mp4 4GB in size using CUDA and CPU ONLY - Same no performance drop.

But a couple of minutes after that, the problem returns - Sluggishness.

Looks like memory management or something along this line isn't yet fully deployed for Win 10 :(

Found another bug, didn't expect it.

I have a problem with USB3.0 devices on the Z87 chipset. I use MSI's Z87-G43 motherboard.

Windows has difficulty with identifying the devices for some reason.

Had my first BSOD while installing VMWare. I presume it was due to the network adapter installation.

I have also noticed, which I didn't before - I can't run TeamSpeak Client.

Overall the performance keeps good - around the same as Windows 8.1 - Memory footprint is much smaller than Windows 8 which I found cool :D

It usually eats 200 - 400 MB less.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a serious problem in the Technical Preview while updating to the new build!  :omg: Somebody please help!    :help:

The setup hangs at 48%, I waited for a whole hour, there is no change in the progress!. Then I directly shutted down my laptop (by pressing and holding the power button 5 secs). Then I again opened my laptop, the Windows starts to load and then it shows 'Restoring to your previous windows. And after about 1 hour, it completed and it only shows a blank black screen (without restart) and in the bottom right corner, it was written 'Evaluation copy. Build 9860'. and nothing else happens. Now what should I do? SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! I WANT MY WINDOWS OS AND ALL THE FILES AND SETTING BACK SAFELY!  :crying_anim02: 

Edited by niTe_RiDeR_Pro

I am having a serious problem in the Technical Preview while updating to the new build!  Somebody please help!     :help:

The setup hangs at 48%, I waited for a whole hour, there is no change in the progress!. Then I directly shutted down my laptop (by pressing and holding the power button 5 secs). Then I again opened my laptop, the Windows starts to load and then it shows 'Restoring to your previous windows. And after about 1 hour, it completed and it only shows a blank black screen (without restart) and in the bottom right corner, it was written 'Evaluation copy. Build 9860'. and nothing else happens. Now what should I do? SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! I WANT MY WINDOWS OS AND ALL THE FILES AND SETTING BACK SAFELY!

Finally I solved it myself! :) :dancing: :D
I tried to boot into the Windows 10 Installation Media and selected 'Repair my computer' (or something like that). Then I selected 'Remove Windows 10 Technical Preview Updates'. Then I selected 'Windows 10 Technical Preview'. And then it shows a screen which shows 'Removing all pending Windows updates' (or something like that). In the 1st trial, it failed. In the 2nd trial it worked! Then I restarted it by pressing the resatrt button on the screen and voila! It succesfully booted, with no problems & no loss of files! Then a dialog was shown regarding the Windows Update error. The error code shown was 0x80070490. I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter and it fixed 2 errors, 1 i the same error of 0x80070490 and other was something else (I don't remember).

This one is also a Preview bug, I tried to install in another PC, and had the same windows update error and had to fix it using the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Otherwise this one is better than Win8.1 overall. And when the RTM is released next year, it will be way too much better :)

Edited by niTe_RiDeR_Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used Windows 10 tech preview for about a month, hoping to use it as my daily driver until the product key expires this April (or maybe it's May). I've had enough issues with 8.1 in particular on my laptop, so I was thinking that 10 might be similar to 8.1 and bring some change, but without the problems. And sure enough, it's faster than 8.1, works with my chosen system volume encryption product, plays all my games fine, etc. I couldn't find any major software I use that wouldn't install/run, with the exception that the NVIDIA driver from their website said the OS was unrecognized (driver from Windows Update fixed that). All other drivers installed fine. CPU usage seemed to be slightly less, less RAM usage, very little lag, a smooth experience overall. And the new Start menu/button is a refreshing change. Among other features/enhancements I wont mention. I was impressed.

But then.............my wifi network adapter suddenly wasnt recognized by the OS anymore, it just said it couldnt find any networks all the time. Rebooting didnt help. And I had the latest WLAN driver direct from the manufacturer (not the really old version from my OEM). Trying to disable/enable the adapter from Control Panel did nothing, and trying to start the WLAN Service just resulted in an error along the lines of "failed to enumerate network adapters". Uninstalling/reinstalling the driver didnt help. Running an 'sfc /scannow' from CMD revealed that no files were corrupted, all Windows Updates installed too. With no Net access, I had to go back to 8.1. 8.1 will ocassionally give the "no networks are available" ,message, but rebooting has always fixed it. I can only guess this must be a bug in 10, or maybe a problem with my PC's hardware/firmware, or the driver I used. 8.1 works fine for the most part, but I really wish I could have kept 10 as main Windows OS. I know you're not supposed to use a beta as daily driver, but I liked it so much I didnt even care, plus I always image my drives in case I need to restore from backup.

On a side note, I think the build 9879 update took a turn for the worse where 10 is concerned. All builds before that were better if you ask me. There was nothing game breaking about 9879, but it particularly irritated me that clicking the WiFi icon would bring up a *FULL SCREEN* dialog...........just to connect to WiFi!  I personally prefer the look and functionality of 7's WiFi icon. Totally unnecessary IMO. It's as if MS wants to force the Modern experience and UI off on everyone without giving a choice, I dont use Windows Store apps much myself. I just like 8.1/10 because it runs better than 7 overall.

My 2 cents..................