wimmount.sys driver mismatch?

pitoloko

Hi

I'm not really sure if this is a bug or a design issue about file-versioning or other things, in any case WinToolkit is not doing a good job because the error message lacks of help.

I'll epxlain the issue, let's go.

Technical Info:

Host OS: Windows 8.1 x64

WinToolkit version: 1.5.4.3

Target WIM O.S.: Windows 10 x64 build 10240 rev. 16384 (Windows 10 Home Image name inside install.wim)

Problem:

When I try to use the AIO Integrator to apply my preset, after I press "start" button to do it, it throws an error dialog at the mount step:

lU5lzZG.png

With this error info:

Starting
Tool Name: All-In-One Integrator (Windows 10 Home)
Image Name: Windows 10 Home
WIM File: C:\Users\Administrador\Desktop\Win10ISO\SOURCES\install.wim
Mount Logging: True
Drive Type: Fixed
Free Space: 50,42 GB
IsReady: True
File Exists: True
File Size: 3,27 GB
Directory Exists: True
Files:

Directories:
Logging: "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinToolKit\Logs\Mount_Logs\Windows_10_Home_12973.log"
TempDir (True): C:\Windows\WinToolkit_Temp\MountTemp_D617EB60C7E9E1DE2BB02B0C5BCE234E
FileName: "C:\Windows\WinToolkit_Temp\Files\Imagex.exe"
Argument: /mountrw "C:\Users\Administrador\Desktop\Win10ISO\SOURCES\install.wim" 1 "C:\WinToolkit_Mount_D5C18140DAC5F24F72B09CCDBCA4821B" /logfile "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinToolKit\Logs\Mount_Logs\Windows_10_Home_12973.log"

Setting taskbar Progress
Setting taskbar Colour
Dumping Registry
Starting
Started [background Thread]
Output: ImageX Tool for Windows
Output: Copyright © Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
Output: Version: 6.2.9200.16384
Output: Mounting: [C:\Users\Administrador\Desktop\Win10ISO\SOURCES\install.wim, 1] -> [C:\WinToolkit_Mount_D5C18140DAC5F24F72B09CCDBCA4821B]...
Output: [   0% ] Mounting progress
Output #1: [   0% ] Mounting progress
Output #2: [   0% ] Mounting progress
Output #3: [   0% ]
Output #4:
Writing Status T: [   0% ] | PT:
Done Status
Writing Taskbar
Done Taskbar
Output: Error mounting image.
Output: The image could not be mounted because the wimmount.sys driver is not installed
Output: on this machine.  To fix this error, install the wimmount.sys driver.
Closing #0
Closing #1
Closing #2
Finished

Question:

Why happens this?.

Maybe WinToolkit is trying to search for the wimmount.sys with the same file-version of Windows 10? if yes then how I could fix it? or the only way to do this is running WinToolkit under Windows 10?.

Of course I have the driver installed in my host OS and  I never had any problem to apply a preset for Windows 8/8.1 or else Windows 7 (always running WinToolkit under Windows 8.1), then why WinToolkit is unable to use DISM this time for Windows 10?.

Misc. Observations:

The log output at this point is giving a wrong diagnostic:

Output: The image could not be mounted because the wimmount.sys driver is not installed on this machine.  To fix this error, install the wimmount.sys driver.

Please, developer, I will suggest you to try identify better the problem then display a proper diagnostic/help instead of "To fix this error, install the wimmount.sys driver" maybe an "Are you using an older version of wimmount.sys than the Windows version that you are trying to mount?", I don't know ...just add something that could brings a real help to understand what happened, because the current verdict will not be always the solution neither the real problem ...as in my case.

Thanks for read!

Edited by pitoloko

Start an elevated command line.

Run:

imagex /cleanup

Reboot.

Start an elevated command line run:

mkdir C:\WinToolkit_Mount

"C:\Windows\WinToolkit_Temp\Files\Imagex.exe" /mountrw "C:\Users\Administrador\Desktop\Win10ISO\SOURCES\install.wim" 1 "C:\WinToolkit_Mount"

If that fails then you may have more information. If it works then run:

imagex /unmount C:\WinToolkit_Mount

It is generally recommended that you copy the source to the folder in the root of a drive like c:\win10iso

I have no problem integrating win10 updates on win10 so it may be a backlevel problem. You will more than likely need win10 dism / imagex which you can get from w10 adk.

But I can't just copy the files to the WinToolkit temp folder because a Windows 10 executable (those from the DISM package that I alread have) will not run under Windows 8.1 because its a major version than my current windows (I tested it).

Thanks anyways!

Edited by pitoloko

Thats why the win 10 dism folder has all these files:

api-ms-win-core-apiquery-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l1-1-1.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l2-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l2-1-1.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l3-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l4-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-ole32-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-ole32-l1-1-1.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-shlwapi-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-shlwapi-l1-1-1.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-1.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-version-l1-1-0.dll
compatprovider.dll
dism.exe
dism.psd1
dism.psm1
dism.Format.ps1xml
dism.Types.ps1xml
dismapi.dll
dismcore.dll
dismcoreps.dll
dismprov.dll
ext-ms-win-advapi32-encryptedfile-l1-1-0.dll
ffuprovider.dll
folderprovider.dll
imagex.exe
imagingprovider.dll
logprovider.dll
Microsoft.Dism.Powershell.dll
pkgmgr.exe
ssshim.dll
vhdprovider.dll
wimgapi.dll
wimmount.sys
WimMountInstall.exe
wimprovider.dll
wimserv.exe
wofadk.sys

Not true.

Not true your "Not true".

I'm saying that a Windows 10 executable (at least developed by Microsoft like DISM.exe) will not run under Windows 8.1 and you say "Not true" because of course you didn't tried it.

At least you could test something you think its a lie before saying and "Not true" to accuse of a lier.

Thats why the win 10 dism folder has all these files:

ALL those libraries are modified for Windows 10 specs. I invite you to make a right-click on any of those libraries to see the file properties to notice which NT version specifies on its file version. 10.0

So, again, Not true your "Not true".

But anyways I'm talking about the executable files (eg. DISM.exe) which is who can't be ran under an O.S. version lower that Windows 10, not the dlls those have nothing to do with this issue because a dll don't have an entry point like an exe have to be ran (which is not the same as "to be loaded"), of course those dlls can be loaded under lower Windows versions.

Thanks anyways for your comment.

Edited by pitoloko

And I have just tried win 10 dism on win 8.1 x64 to mount a windows 10 install.wim. It works without problem.

If true then it should exists a difference between our systems, mine files are x64 (dism, pkmgr, imagex, etc, all throws the error below), yours maybe could be x86 files?.

"This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher".

JZBI2.png

I installed the windows 10 adk and started the deployment tools command line. dism runs ok and reports its version 10.0.10240.16384. If I explicitly run from "c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\dism.exe" it also works. I am running windows 8.1 x64 enterprise edition.

I installed the windows 10 adk and started the deployment tools command line. dism runs ok and reports its version 10.0.10240.16384. If I explicitly run from "c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\dism.exe" it also works. I am running windows 8.1 x64 enterprise edition.

Excuse me. its true what you say

But all this was a confussion between what we were trying to explain, what I tried to mean is that if I copy/extract the DISM files (with all necessary dependencies) from a running Windows 10 installation to Windows 8.1, the executables will not run.

Then, after seeying that, I really didn't expected that those files from the Win10 ADK could work under Windows 8.1, just because the original files inside a Windows 10 instalattion don't work when copied to Windows 8.1, but I tested to install the Win10ADK on Win8.1 and yes it works as you said.

Really both have 50% of reason haha. 

I'll try to copy my new working Win10 DISM to the wintoolkit temp folder and say here if it worked for me.

Thanks!

Edited by pitoloko

I specified my custom Win10 DISM folder in the WinToolkit options, but I get the same error about wimmount.sys driver...

After that, I also copied the files to "C:\Windows\WinToolkit_Temp\Files" to replace the imagex.exe with version 6.3 to 10.0, the same error when trying to mount the image.

Where is the developer to support problems/bugs?.

Edited by pitoloko

If you can't mount win 10 images with dism or imagex then I don't think the WTK author can help you. Its likely that your windows 8.1 is messed up in some way. I just tried on the same windows 8.1 as before and I have no problem mounting the windows 10 install.wim with the windows 8.1 dism.

If you can't mount win 10 images with dism or imagex then I don't think the WTK author can help you. Its likely that your windows 8.1 is messed up in some way. I just tried on the same windows 8.1 as before and I have no problem mounting the windows 10 install.wim with the windows 8.1 dism.

@paraglider

Just to clarify it, in my comment above when I said you "forgive me", now I noticed I mean to say "excuse me", sorry for my bad english where meanings could be lost on translation!.

In my point of view it seems to be a WinToolkit bug, because I perfectlly can use DISM from the commandline outside WinToolkit app, and I have the wimmount.sys file in "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers" and inside the WinSXS folder, but WinToolkit for unknown reason determines it is not installed, so...

I tried to download and use the WinToolkit v2.x which at first view seems that uses the DismAPI .net wrapper instead of the DISM executables?, but when I try to run that version it says that period time expired for that version, then, I can't test it.

Edited by pitoloko

Solved!!!

Researching  alot about possible wimmount.sys problems finally I found the issue, and it not was a WinToolkit issue at all.

The problem was that for some unknown reason my 'WimMount' service value on reg key: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WIMMount' has disappeared.

This registry script solves the problem, I taken it from a fresh Windows 8.1 install on a Virtual Machine:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIMMount][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WIMMount][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WIMMount]"DebugFlags"=dword:00000000"DisplayName"="WIMMount""ErrorControl"=dword:00000001"Group"="FSFilter Infrastructure""ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,64,00,\  72,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,77,00,69,00,6d,00,6d,00,6f,00,75,\  00,6e,00,74,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00"Start"=dword:00000003"Tag"=dword:00000001"Type"=dword:00000002"Description"="WIM Image mount service driver"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WIMMount\Instances]"DefaultInstance"="WIMMount"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WIMMount\Instances\WIMMount]"Altitude"="180700""Flags"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WIMMount]"DebugFlags"=dword:00000000"DisplayName"="WIMMount""ErrorControl"=dword:00000001"Group"="FSFilter Infrastructure""ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,64,00,\  72,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,77,00,69,00,6d,00,6d,00,6f,00,75,\  00,6e,00,74,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00"Start"=dword:00000003"Tag"=dword:00000001"Type"=dword:00000002"Description"="WIM Image mount service driver"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WIMMount\Instances]"DefaultInstance"="WIMMount"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WIMMount\Instances\WIMMount]"Altitude"="180700""Flags"=dword:00000000

I'm using a Windows 8.1 that I previouslly modified with WinToolkit, then, maybe by error I disabled some package/feature that causes not to write that registry entry because was missing in my installation, its strange.

Thanks everyone who helped here!