Windows XP maximum connections limit

NIM

Event ID 4226 Patcher

What's this all about?

After almost everybody knows the <<EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts>>, I used a day to create for educational purpose a fix for this argumentative feature.

Unfortunately there exists no REG-key which could easily be set (would be so nice and easy, right? *smile*). The file TCPIP.SYS in the directory C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386 has to be changed (system depended eventually in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE, too).

Needed things:

- Windows XP SP2 (from RC2 upwards) or Windows 2003 Server SP1 beta

- patcher

- a small amount of time

What's been done:

To say it easy: the before 10 half-open connections are being increased to 50 (can be changed during runtime and with the parameter /L) and the CRC is been corrected. And that's it!

Comment:

The method described here, should only be used by users, who know how to handle all the described. With the download of the here published program the user know, that changes are made on third party files. For damages in every kind I cannot be hold responsible for. Indeed, tests worked fine here. However, nothing is impossible.

Info: When error occurs, the patcher can change the TCPIP.SYS back to the original!

Instruction:

Just download the patcher and execute it. It will automatically find the windows directory and ask, if it should increase/decrease. For higher values, please check the help with parameter /?.

After a successful patch, the new TCPIP.SYS will be automatically installed. After that, the computer should be restarted.

Download LINK

Notice: You should be a Windows Server license holder or this action is considered as illegal!!

• 1 month later...
Event ID 4226 Patcher

Download LINK

Notice: You should be a Windows Server license holder or this action is considered as illegal!!

Actually, it's against the XP EULA whether or not you have a Windows Server license, so it's not legal in any way. Just a heads-up.

I checked the link for legal notice at author's pages, but all I can see is his contact details there.

I guess he's willing to argue with Microsoft regarding this :sweatingbullets:

Thx for clearing this out Cluberti.

From the XP Home EULA:

1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of five (5) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The five connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. This five connection maximum does not apply to any other uses of the Software.

And from XP Pro:

1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services, Internet Connection Sharing and telephony services. The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. This ten connection maximum does not apply to other uses of the Software, such as synchronizing data between a Device and the Workstation Computer, provided only one user uses, accesses, displays or runs the Software at any one time. This Section 1.3 does not grant you rights to access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device. A "Session" means any use of the Software that enables functionality similar to that available to an end user who is interacting with the Workstation Computer through any combination of input, output and display peripherals.