Not working on Windows 7

Brino

Hi,

Have you gone through each item in the following FAQ yet?

Q: I'm experiencing one of the following symptoms:

• After selecting a software version, everything grays out and freezes.
  • You receive the message "ERROR. Please check your internet connection." (When the message appears in the status bar, the tool can't connect to HeiDoc.net to update the download lists, but will generally work. When the message comes up in a popup, then the tool can't connect to microsoft.com and won't work.)
  • You receive the message "GetHostEntry failed!" (This is a warning message when the tool is unable to detect whether your HOSTS file has been modified or not.)

A: This is your local connection issue, and can have a number of root causes:

• You have modified your HOSTS file. Please remove the following two lines.
    0.0.0.0 aa.online-metrix.net
    0.0.0.0 c.bing.com
  • You have installed software that prevents scripts from modifying secure websites, such as certain adblockers, firewalls or similar security related software.
  • You have disabled TLS 1.2 in your internet settings. You can enable it again in the control panel in the Internet Options category.
  • In rare cases, starting the tool as administrator can resolve the issue.
  • In rare cases, installing the latest Windows updates, or updating Internet Explorer or the .NET framework to the latest version can resolve the issue.

It's not working for me either. I have Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit. I'm not receiving any error messages. I'm in safe mode because the latest Windows update failed and the computer will not boot normally. I opened the ISO as an Administrator, clicked Windows 7 and nothing appears in the drop down.

I have Windows Firewall disabled and I use Panda Anti Virus, but I don't think either of them would block a download.

I need to get this because it's my last resort. Please offer suggestions on how to resolve.

Thank you.

The Windows Firewall is definitely no issue. I've not tested the tool with Panda Antivirus, but I've never heard that any anti virus has blocked its functions.

Please do the following:

• Double check that all Windows Updates have been applied.
  • Double check that you have the latest IE (version 11) and .NET framework (version 4.6.2) installed.
  • Double check that TLS 1.2 is enabled in internet settings.

Generally the downloader works on Win 7. I've tested it within a VM on a Win 7 vanilla installation multiple times.

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in my initial message I'm having to operate in Safe Mode because the last Windows Update failed and it's at that point my system stopped functioning normally. Therefore, not ALL of the Windows updates have loaded and I can't get them to load because of the noted failure.

According to my list of installed programs I have net framework 4.7, which differs from the version you noted.

I have IE 11 installed. I can not access Internet Settings in Safe Mode.

Thank you.

To be clear mine antivirus is avast internet security if there any virus or false positive,exe will be putted in qurantine chest,but av nothing done that so no virus,other question about .NET version 4.6.2 and TLS 1.2 are enabled in Internet options,so requirments are ok,but program not wanna work properly :D hmm maybe older version try if that somewhere near by.With host files all ok.

2 hours ago, Fred Vannucci said:

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in my initial message I'm having to operate in Safe Mode because the last Windows Update failed and it's at that point my system stopped functioning normally. Therefore, not ALL of the Windows updates have loaded and I can't get them to load because of the noted failure.

According to my list of installed programs I have net framework 4.7, which differs from the version you noted.

I have IE 11 installed. I can not access Internet Settings in Safe Mode.

Thank you.

.NET 4.7 should be fine as it is downward compatible. The downloader has been compiled on version 4.6.2 since many users haven't updated to 4.7 yet.

Let's make sure you have the correct security protocols enabled then.

In the registry editor, go to the following paths to add or edit a value in both of them:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

The registry entry to enable/disable security protocols is called SecureProtocols.

If it's there, make sure it's correct. If it's not there, set it up as a DWORD. The correct value is 0xA80, which disables all SSL versions and enables TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.

50 minutes ago, Dratas said:

To be clear mine antivirus is avast internet security if there any virus or false positive,exe will be putted in qurantine chest,but av nothing done that so no virus,other question about .NET version 4.6.2 and TLS 1.2 are enabled in Internet options,so requirments are ok,but program not wanna work properly :D hmm maybe older version try if that somewhere near by.With host files all ok.

The old version will not help you. The downloader's call to microsoft.com is blocked for unknown reasons.

You could install a web debugger such as fiddler: http://www.telerik.com/fiddler

If you run Fiddler while working with the download tool, it will capture all http(s) calls and their responses. So this should provide us with some error message with details on why the downloader can't connect to microsoft.com.

3 minutes ago, Jan Krohn said:

The old version will not help you. The downloader's call to microsoft.com is blocked for unknown reasons.

You could install a web debugger such as fiddler: http://www.telerik.com/fiddler

If you run Fiddler while working with the download tool, it will capture all http(s) calls and their responses. So this should provide us with some error message with details on why the downloader can't connect to microsoft.com.

So suggestions try update .NET to 4.7 and check with fiddler where problem?

I've attached an image on which you can see a successful call to MS (http response 200, and if you click on "web view", you can actually see parts of the Microsoft site.) With an unsuccessful call, I'd expect to see an error either in the response headers, or in the web view.

Unbenannt.PNG

I am having the same issue. Sometimes when I select Windows 7 it gives me a blank screen, sometimes it loads the normal screen except the drop-down menu is blank (screenshot attached).

I also am using Win7 Home Premium SP1 x64. Internet settings are verified in accordance with the previous posts in this thread. I also have .NET 4.7 and all windows updates installed.

Win ISO Downloader blank.png

That's something I've never seen before.

You guys have convinced me that I need to do some more debugging on Windows 7.

In about a month's time I will get my most powerful computer back that can run a Win 7 VM smoothly.

Until then, I suggest running the tool on Win 8.x or 10, or to post any interesting error messages that can be found through fiddler here in this thread.

@Jan Krohn, i would like to say "Thank you so much!" or better "Dankeschön!". You saved me... :)

I was stuck on that white screen and couldn't find the solution anywhere. Then i just came here and found out the following instruction:

"Double check that TLS 1.2 is enabled in internet settings."

I really don't know how it was disabled, because i never use this Internet Settings. But it helped me and solved my problem.

Then:

zbWl2iY.png

After:

qfbmf1n.jpg

Thanks again. ^_^

PS: i'm using Windows 10 x64 version 15063.540

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 8:18 PM, Iago Bruno Gurgel said:

Hello, is not welcome, download the image, when I put to choose the version does not appear anything!

aasdasdsd.jpg

Hi! Just downloaded this tool today. Running win 10 insider preview. TLS is ok. For any windows version I select the edition dropdown is empty. HOST file is also ok. Same happens for Office 2007 and 2010. 2011 till 2016 working fine.

Edited by Carlos Ricardo Castilho

Thanks Carlos. I've compared your log with my server log, and there's a one-to-one correspondence of https calls. In the Fiddler log I can't see any error message with either microsoft.com or heidoc.net connections. This is no connection issue.

Could you disable all plugins and anti tracking lists in your IE, and try again? If that fixes the issue, we can identify the culprit by re-enabling the plugins one after another.

19 minutes ago, Jan Krohn said:

Thanks Carlos. I've compared your log with my server log, and there's a one-to-one correspondence of https calls. In the Fiddler log I can't see any error message with either microsoft.com or heidoc.net connections. This is no connection issue.

Could you disable all plugins and anti tracking lists in your IE, and try again? If that fixes the issue, we can identify the culprit by re-enabling the plugins one after another.

Done that and still the same ;)