Create a link to shutdown your PC

To create a useful link desktop link to shutdown or restart your PC, follow these directions:

Right click on an empty area of your desktop, then select 'new' and 'shortcut' to open the new shortcut wizard.

When prompted for the location of the shortcut, enter 'SHUTDOWN -s -t 01' to shutdown the system or 'SHUTDOWN -r -t 01' to restart the system.

Name the shortcut and give it an appropriate icon from the '%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll' location.

You now have a quick shortcut to shutdown or restart your system! Perfect for getting out of the office right at 5:00PM on the dot! ... OR at any time you like :)

• 1 year later...
To create a useful link desktop link to shutdown or restart your PC, follow these directions:

Right click on an empty area of your desktop, then select 'new' and 'shortcut' to open the new shortcut wizard.

When prompted for the location of the shortcut, enter 'SHUTDOWN -s -t 01' to shutdown the system or 'SHUTDOWN -r -t 01' to restart the system.

Name the shortcut and give it an appropriate icon from the '%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll' location.

You now have a quick shortcut to shutdown or restart your system! Perfect for getting out of the office right at 5:00PM on the dot! ... OR at any time you like :)

You can used command

c:\windows\system32\tsshutdn.exe /now

I like this one, the context menu when you right click My Computer

This one if for Standby, I use psshutdown.exe because when hibernate is enabled you don't have the option to Standby when using this command "rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\[Standby]\command]
@="psshutdown.exe -d -t 0"

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be more useful if you added -f at the end for a faster "Force Shutdown" which does NOT damage your system. Here's the code example:

For a reboot: shutdown -r -t 00 -f
For a shutdown: shutdown -s -f 00 -f

Much more useful IMO.

Thanks....Nice info..relly likes it is there somting else u can share here with us....

That's what this forum and Project-OS.org are for.... For your benefit: I really like it* something* you* share here with us?*

Thanks

~ Keithy E