Windows 7 x64 Memory Leak

NIM

Has anyone experienced after your PC is on for extended periods of time that you don't have any available memory left?

Once my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 OS boots, memory usage is at about 32%, but after it runs through the day, memory usage jumps to more than 90%. no matter if I don't have any active programs.

Once I hit that stage, I get the "insufficient resources when trying to open programs" error.

It is probably related to some third party application having a memory leak.

I've googled and found that it could be related with audiodg.exe which is a Creative driver process.

Just for the record, I have 4GB of DDR2 RAM.

I will try to track what's going on with process explorer, but if anyone experience similar problem, please post here.

I was checking the processes today and I just can't find any process that's consuming such a lot of memory.

When I sum all of the active processes I shouldn't be using more than 40% of my physical memory, but my task manager is showing 85%. I really don't know where to start :(

Well, mine's been on all day with no restarts.

Still sitting at 18% RAM usage (I have 8GB). It spiked to 55% usage when compressing driverpacks with 7zip, but then dropped when finished.

When you're in task manager, click "show processes from all users".

2l2ia1.png

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I doubt it's Eset, I use it and everything is fine. It must be another utility.

Do either of you use the photo slideshow gadget in your sidebar? I remember Rick found a memory leak in his sidebar addon for XP with that gadget.

The only items I have in my taskbar are:

AnyDVD

Asus Xonar audio utility

Eset ESS

PowerISO

I've found some info on how windows memory manager works, i don't understand it all, but i do understand that the memory usage of the separate processes are not accurate.

In the background they might be using more memory then they claim.

Knowing that, it might be any program or dll that is leaking memory.

http://shsc.info/WindowsMemoryManagement

Does it mean Eset is tthe Problem Should i uninstall it and what should i use Other than Eset.

I'm not saying that Eset isn't a good product. Eset is a very good anti-virus application, but unfortunately it seems that it was Eset to blame for my recent memory issues.

I should have made further analysis so I can be sure and be able to have the real proof, but I haven't had time to play with it. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus/Antispyware application now, and so far I can say that I'm very satisfied.

I also had problems with my computer stopped responding for a while. I was able to move the mouse around, but nothing else, whatever I tried to do. My PC returned to normal after couple of minutes. This issue I used to have while I was using Vista x64 too. Back then, I've uninstalled NOD32 and after that PC freezes were gone.

Of course, since I have an active NOD32 license, once I moved to Windows7, I've installed NOD32 Antivirus x64 instantly, but problems start to emerge only several days after reinstall.

If I'll find some free time, I might install NOD32 again and will try to investigate memory issues furthermore.

You could use resmon to get a high-level overview of memory usage (and that may be enough), but if not you're gonna have to use perfmon.msc and utilize the Process objects for "<All Instances>" (not "_Total"!!!), specifically the handle count, pool nonpaged bytes, pool paged bytes, private bytes, virtual bytes, working set, and working set - private.

You could use resmon to get a high-level overview of memory usage (and that may be enough), but if not you're gonna have to use perfmon.msc and utilize the Process objects for "<All Instances>" (not "_Total"!!!), specifically the handle count, pool nonpaged bytes, pool paged bytes, private bytes, virtual bytes, working set, and working set - private.

Thanks cluberti,

but I've already uninstalled Eset and I haven't noticed any issues from then. I will leave the PC on for the whole day today and see if I'll experience memory leaks today.