Network trials and tribulations

Sinsemilla

Hi, I am in the process of setting up a small (two PC's, both running Windows 7) network using a D-link DI-604 router (which acts only as hub, it's not set up in any way).

In the Network and 'Sharing Center' in 'Control Panel' I clicked 'Set up a New (Connection or) Network'.

All went well up until the moment I attempted to connect one PC with the other (In the 'Connect' dialog I entered the other PC's IP, no pwd).

I can use both PC's to connect to and browse the net though, so the router/hub does not seem to be the problem.

And I must have done something right, because the other computer shows up in the 'Network Map'.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

/Goran

If you have two Windows 7 OS systems, your best way to share docs is to use 'Home Network' feature, which is only available in Windows 7.

To be able to see each other, you'll have to enable following features in Windows 7:

- Turn on network discovery

- Turn on file and printer sharing

post-1-126142798574_thumb.png

What happens if you type the following command in your Run prompt:

\\PC-name\C$

If you have two Windows 7 OS systems, your best way to share docs is to use 'Home Network' feature, which is only available in Windows 7.

To be able to see each other, you'll have to enable following features in Windows 7:

- Turn on network discovery

- Turn on file and printer sharing

post-1-126142798574_thumb.png

What happens if you type the following command in your Run prompt:

\\PC-name\C$

I had all those options turned on. What do I substitute "PC-name" for in the command \\PC-name\C$? IP-address?

Thanks for replying N1K, I would appreciate if you could bear with me on this one, as I really need it to work.

I attached a simple drawing of the setup.

Let's say we have PC A and PC B

on PC-A type the following in the run prompt:

\\PC-B\C$ and hit enter, where 'PC-B' is the name of the second PC or its IP address. If you're using DHCP on the router, then you can use the PC name.

Also, what happens when you use just this command:

\\PC-B\

Anything opens, any errors, prompts?

Let's say we have PC A and PC B

on PC-A type the following in the run prompt:

\\PC-B\C$ and hit enter, where 'PC-B' is the name of the second PC or its IP address. If you're using DHCP on the router, then you can use the PC name.

Also, what happens when you use just this command:

\\PC-B\

Anything opens, any errors, prompts?

Thanks N1K, I'll certainly try your suggestions, but in a while. I'll report back whether that did the trick or not.

Nope, that didn't do it - both machines have the same IP (obviously, it's the same ISP after all, static IP..:/)

When you say "the run prompt" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean the "Search programs and files"-box I get when I click the Windows orb, 'cause That don't do it, or do you refer to a DOS-prompt?

When I type said string on the DOS command-line it takes a few seconds then I get: "The network path was not found".

Edited by Sinsemilla

I'll go to sleep now mate, will replay you tomorrow.

Until then please do the following.

Enable DHCP on the router, if not enabled.

On both PC's, open command prompt and type 'ipconfig /all', without quotation marks.

List your results here.

If you're PC's are connected to the router (which, this is the case), they're not getting an IP from your ISP, but from the router instead.

Router is the one who's getting IP address from your ISP upon successful connection.

Also, once you find out IP address of those PC's, please try to run the 'ping' command to test the connection of those PC's.

For instance:

run | cmd | enter

ping 'name or IP address of another PC'

Basically, what you have to do, in few easy steps:

- Set your router to connect to Internet (ISP connection) - apparently you've already did this

- Set up both of your PC's to use DHCP in configuration for your network adapter

- Set up file and print sharing and enable network discovery

Please do everything stated above and let me know results.

I will reply you tomorrow morning :)

I'll go to sleep now mate, will replay you tomorrow.

Until then please do the following.

On both PC's, open command prompt and type 'ipconfig /all', without quotation marks.

List your results here.

If you're PC's are connected to the router (which, this is the case), they're not getting an IP from your ISP, but from the router instead.

Router is the one who's getting IP address from your ISP upon successful connection.

Also, once you find out IP address of those PC's, please try to run the 'ping' command to test the connection of those PC's.

For instance:

run | cmd | enter

ping 'name or IP address of another PC'

Basically, what you have to do, in few easy steps:

- Set your router to connect to Internet (ISP connection) - apparently you've already did this

- Set up both of your PC's to use DHCP in configuration for your network adapter

Please do everything stated above and let me know results.

I will reply you tomorrow morning :)

Hello N1K, hope you slept well!

I haven't yet reached the configuration screen or attempted any configuration of the router as I only intended to use it as a hub. I just want to be able to reach one PC's files and resources from the other, and when I called a D-link support person he said it worked that way by default, no configuring needed.

List your results here.

I did that, took screenshots of the results, but when I try to upload them I get a "File To Large" error. They are 140kB and 160kB respectively, and even though I have resized them as much as possible while maintaining legibility and reduced the number of colors from 43 to 2, that barely changes their size on disc :/ Too bad you can't u/l a file...

I have attached two .jpg's, one a sketch of the physical setup, same as yesterdays but with the IP's written in, the other of the TCP/IP settings of both PC's.

The second .jpg might hold the answer to the problems - I use OpenDNS on one machine, while the other is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically". What about that?

Also, I pinged in both directions; 4 packets sent, 4 lost.

That I had done. Also, I stated in my latest post that both PC's had the same IP - obvious balderdash, sorry about that.

Please bear with me on this N1K, I really want it to work.

post-19679-126146892723_thumb.jpg

post-19679-126146949761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sinsemilla

Please set the 'obtain DNS server address automatically' on the second PC.

Also, when you've used 'ipconfig' command, you should get the address of default gateway. Which is it?

With these two IP addresses on your Home LAN, no wonder those 2 PC's don't see each other.

Please set the 'obtain DNS server address automatically' on the second PC.

Done.

Also, when you've used 'ipconfig' command, you should get the address of default gateway. Which is it?

It is: 192.168.0.1

The one PC has two network adapters, perhaps I would be better off using a patch-cable (FTP) between the two and skip the router?

I will attach screenshots of the network maps for both computers. Why in tarnation can I not connect to the other PC when it shows up, name and all, in the map?

post-19679-126147452253_thumb.jpg

post-19679-126147453701_thumb.jpg

If DHCP is enabled on the router you should get an IP address in this way:

192.168.0.x

Try to run cmd on both PC's and enter:

ipconfig /renew

Post your message here.

Also, after than run ipconfig /all and post your results.

192.168.0.x

Try to run cmd on both PC's and enter:

ipconfig /renew

Post your message here.

192.168.0.x

I don't understand what you mean by that. Won't you please adress the questions of my previous reply: Why can I not connect to the other PC when it shows up, name and all, in the map? Can you please answer that?

You can see the command output below.

post-19679-126148053322_thumb.jpg

post-19679-126148055494_thumb.jpg

I don't know why it shows in the map.

Please make a screenshot of network connections screen on both PC's.

I don't know which screen you mean, there are many different. For instance there is:

Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Set up a new connection or network or

Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Connect to a network or

Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Choose homegroup and sharing options

and so on.

I must ask you to be more specific, please. I'm sure you know what you mean, but I cannot

be expected to know or guess your thoughts. I'm sorry for being so dense :/

Navigate to:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

I need to see your defined and default network connections.

I don't see "Network and Internet\Network Connections" anywhere in Control Panel, I attach to this reply the Control Panel screen, the Internet Options subscreen and, because the upload size limit is a paltry 150 kB, in a subsuquent mail, the Network and Sharing Options subscreen.

post-19679-126154103234_thumb.jpg

post-19679-126154105635_thumb.jpg

You have setup your broadband connection on your PC, but no point for doing that if you have router.

Set up your broadband connection on the router

Set it up to connect on demand

Enable DHCP (which is already enabled)

In properties of a connection, select 'never dial a connection'

Your PC's should connect to internet over router, not directly.

You have setup your broadband connection on your PC, but no point for doing that if you have router.

Set up your broadband connection on the router

Set it up to connect on demand

Enable DHCP (which is already enabled)

In properties of a connection, select 'never dial a connection'

Your PC's should connect to internet over router, not directly.

I have done that. Now what do I do? I'll attach the current ipconfig output screen.

(Thank you for your patience!)

post-19679-126157077255_thumb.jpg