[Video] Windows 7 AIK/OPK deployment 101 (Updated)

ricktendo

ricktendo64, I made my first ISO today manually. I have some problems and hope you can comment. I added updates and drivers (both signed and unsigned). After the first reboot during install, I got a BSOD 07B. This code says Setup cannot find the HDD. I don't think this should even happen on VM. The install was done on VMware Server running under XP x64 (built the ISO on XP x64). I am trying to install W7 Ultimate x64. I removed my AutoUnattend.xml (I made a number of changes) and got the same problem. So, I used the Remove-Driver parameter of dism and removed all OEM drivers (expect for OEM0, which looks link an MS XPS driver and I did not add it). There were 10 total inf files of mine. I went back and re-looked at your part 1 and saw that I had made some mistakes. You say to remove all blanks in file/folder names and inject boot drivers into the boot.wim. I did neither. I did some research on MS TechNet and could find no reference to boot drivers going into boot.wim. Is this really necessary? I also see nothing to indicate that I need to remove the blanks. Is this just to avoid quotes or is it really necessary to the process? After removing the drivers, another install failed due to AutoUnattend.xml problems. After not resolving these in a few tries, I did an install without AutoUnattend and all went fine. I, at least, know that running dism on XP x64 allows me to create an W7 ISO that installs. Thanks for any help you can offer. Enjoy, John.

BTW, how do I get rid of the toolbar in the middle of the reply window? Actually, perhaps a boot driver would need to go into the boot.wim if WinPE was being used - I am not.

Edited by johnhc

No need for boot.wim driver injecting if you can see the hdd's when you begin the Windows 7 install and I said remove all "spaces" from the folders containing the driver files

What drivers are you integrating exactly?

Are you integrating the unsigned drivers (one by one) separately using /ForceUnsigned switch & exact INF name?

HMMM looks like a site issue, for now use the "Fast Reply" thats on the bottom of each post until the issue is fixed

May I ask what browser do you use?

ricktendo64, it is the same. I am running IE8 under XP x64, SP2 with all current updates. I will do the best I can without quoting. Thanks, John.

ricktendo64, I attach a screen shot of my driver folders being injected. These are all signed. I am also injecting 3Ware RAID drivers that are unsigned. I pointed dism to the unsigned driver folder and did not specify individual inf files. Looking in the INF folder afterward show that both the inf files were picked up. I am really wondering why VMware is having any kind of driver problem when it should not be using any of mine at all. My plan is to see if I can get my AutoUnattend.xml errors out, then try to determine which driver(s) is causing the 07B. Thanks, John.

post-21368-127324779253_thumb.jpg

ricktendo64, thanks for your reply, but it is almost impossible to reply with the toolbar in the middle of the reply window. Please see attached. How do I get rid of it? Thanks, John.

I have never seen this or even similar issue.

Does this happen in other browsers too?

I am running only IE8 on XP x64. If I can get my W7 installed on my VM, I will give it a try and if it is also bad, I will install Chrome and try it. Also at the bottom of a thread, a window (Quick Reply?) covers the Reply and New Thread buttons. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I am on my W7 installed under VMware Server and the forum looks fine. Don't know what to make of it all!

Edited by johnhc

ricktendo64, I removed 4, then 2 more, then 1 more drivers. I ended up with only ATI HD Audio (Cat_10.4_HD_Audio) when the install worked. The last one I removed was ATI PCIE (AMD_SB). Tomorrow I will add all back in but this one and see if I can install. I attach the inf file for this one (renamed to txt file). Thanks, John.

ATiPCIE.txt

What you need to do is install Win7 with little or no drivers, then install your drivers like you normally do, then use a proper tool to back them up like Driver Max, Driver Genius or DriverBackup by IcemanND and integrate those backed up drivers to be sure that they are properly done

ATI video drivers are weird that way, multiple files with the same name in different sub folders

ricktendo64, thanks for your reply. You may have forgotten that I am running on VM and so none of my drivers would install. It will be some time before I go to HW. I have a lot to learn about all this. I'll edit this response and let you know what I learn. Thanks, John.

EDIT: I installed W7 with all drivers but the AtiPcie.inf and all went well. I still don't know why it is a problem.

Edited by johnhc

N1K, I have chased down this problem and corrected it. It is the Compatibility View Settings, in the IE8 Tools menu. Please see attached screen shot. If the box at the bottom for all web sites is checked, then the problem occurs. I have unchecked the box and all looks fine. Enjoy, John.

post-21368-127343441643_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ricktendo64, I tried my first HW installs today with poor luck. First I tried the DVD I made and tested on VMware Player and it could not find a HDD. I assumed it needed the 3Ware-LSI RAID driver injected into the boot.wim, so I did that. Setup still could not find an HDD. I then wrote my driver folder to a USB drive and when Setup did not find an HDD, I clicked the Add Driver button and pointed to my 3Ware-LSI folder. It found the txtsetup.oem and was happy with it, finding my RAID and its partitions. I selected an unpartitioned area and turned it loose. It did the copy and expand then restarted. With a quick flash it BSODed and restarted. I could not read the Stop code, but my guess is that it was a 07B - can't find boot device. It is obvious that I have done something wrong in how I injected the 3Ware-LSI driver. I pointed dism to the folder named Unsigned_Drivers, which contained one folder called 3Ware. It contains the files in the screen shot I attach. I hope you can comment. Some questions: When I first booted my DVD, it stopped and asked something about selecting a boot target and I think it used the letters EMS. Ideas? I was very surprised by how long everything takes. It seems to sit and do nothing for minutes on end, then says, for example Setup is Starting. This takes several minutes. I did not expect this to be near as fast as on my VM, but this is far worse that my experience with XP. Thanks much for any help you can offer. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I found my error. I had injected the 3Ware-LSI driver into boot.wim index 1 not 2. When I corrected that, Setup found my RAID, but I ran out of time, so I reset and will continue tomorrow. I would still like your comments on my other questions. Thanks.

post-21368-127430056654_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnhc

• 2 weeks later...

ricktendo64, in your last video you said you would show how to run .inf files during installs. I would like to see some information on that now. In particular, what is the earliest in the install can I run it? Can it be run in the RunSynchronousCommand or RunAsynchronousCommand of the windowsPE phase? Is this too earlier to make changes to the Registry? Thanks, John.

No, I use InfDefaultInstall.exe (in system32) to launch mi INF with regtweaks during 1st login using Autounattend.xml and FirstLogonCommands

<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<CommandLine>infdefaultinstall %WINDIR%\inf\tweaks.inf</CommandLine>
<Description>Registry Tweaks</Description>
<Order>8</Order>
<RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
</SynchronousCommand>

No, I use InfDefaultInstall.exe (in system32) to launch mi INF with regtweaks during 1st login using Autounattend.xml and FirstLogonCommands

<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<CommandLine>infdefaultinstall %WINDIR%\inf\tweaks.inf</CommandLine>
<Description>Registry Tweaks</Description>
<Order>8</Order>
<RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
</SynchronousCommand>

ricktendo64, thanks. I will give it a try. Enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that an SP1 installer is on the horizon, I've decided to jump into waik and mdt for win7.

The initial plan is to use RT7Lite as a training ground for waik before I try to fly solo there.

And as far as nlite-style 'addons' go, all I need worry about is finding silent installers for my fave apps, yes? No need to create otherwise custom packages, etc, etc.

Hints and warnings of dead ends (you are walking in a dark twisty passage) appreciated....

Edited by newsposter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ricktendo64, first of all i have enjoying your tutorials videos so far ... i hope u will release the next soon !

I have done some tutorials videos too of DISM for the french unattend community on an another board.

BUT ... when i have done my tuts, i have recommended to use a virtual or real version of Vista/XP to create an unattend based on Windows 7, because i was having trouble with this on a Windows 7 host.

Problems were :

- instability of DISM ("DISM corrupt please reinstall")

- not able to dismount correctly, supposedly some files were in use ...

- not able to clean/delete some files, for example i couldnt deletes the content of "WinSXS\Backup", i haven't the right or priviliege to do so ...

- not able to run properly the install_wim_tweak.exe (but i understand why when i saw your tut)

- etc ...

While i was able to do all of that using a Vista SP2 x86 on VMware, 0 problem at all.

Yesterday, i decided to retry using 7 as host, so i have installed 7 x64 ULTIMATE MSDN Untouched on VMware, install WAIK 7, place the install_wim_tweak.exe, and go ...

BUT having the same problems ... while YOU ARE NOT as i can see on your video ...

You dismount without any errors, your dism seems to be always stable ...

so here are my questions :

- Are you able to delete in the WinSXS\Backup\ all the files for example without having any error ?

- Have you done something more on your Windows 7 to have the "full" control of all files (i have set full privilige in the user panel ... but still same errors).

- Have you any clue why i have having those problems ?

- oh and by the way, i have notice while i used install_wim_tweak AFTER integrate some hotfix, when i install the unattend i have the double of number of hotfix in the "windows update\installed update" panel (ex: 100 hotfix integrated, 200 appears in the panel), have you the same "bug/error", or again my PC is the only one in the world to have some weird thing happens lol.

Thank you man ! love your work

Edited by fredpsycho83

No problem here with dism on windows 7 did not have to change anything in the cpl, dont know why its happening to you. Try running this to clean any ghost files

dism /cleanup-wim

I dont delete anything from winsxs

install_wim_tweak does do that to my installed updates entries also, not just you

The reason I have not done a new video is because I dont have that computer any more, I am on a different one

thanks for the quick answer ^^

In fact i haven't this problem only on the "mount" directory, i have everywhere, i explain myself :

if i want to rename/delete/overwrite a *.exe file for example, i can't, it tells me the file is in use ... and maybe its ok 2min later ... it seems every single exe file or "system" files are having this "in use" problem, and i'm not the only one on the french board where i have posted my tuts videos.

i was searching an answer in the real-time protection of anti-virus ... but with a fresh install with no antivirus it does that too.

An another thing i don't understand : i use this DVD on my primary computer, i have troubles. On an another PC, no problems ... on an another one, problems ... etc etc.

i have just tried the dism /cleanup-wim command ... it works, but don't delete files i want, i have to do it manually or by a batch file (don't work under 7 host, but works perfectly under Vista host)

Maybe i'll try to test it under a 7 US MSDN version.

Can you tell me, if you have 2min to spend for me (or anyone who's using dism under 7), if you are able to delete manually any file in the "MOUNT\Windows\WinSXS\Backup\"

If you can, my version have a serious issue ... but if you can't i think i have no other choice to continu with a XP/Vista host ...

sorry, if i'm asking too much i understand ... but i really want to have a definitive answer to my very weird experience with dism ^^

thx

EDIT : hmm ... i was thinking about something ... maybe mounting the wim with dism is the problem, maybe we have "more provilege" by mounting the wim file using imagex, and even imagex 6.0 (from vista AIK) ?

Edited by fredpsycho83

yep i have tried rt7lite, but too buggy for now ...

- some components removal will change the name of the user folder : french to english.

- setupcomplete.cmd no more lunched after oobe.

- can't optimize or delete only 1 service, it cause a infinite reboot at the begin of "starting services" screen during installation.

hope they will fix it soon, or am i the only one to have these problems too ? lol