FreeRAM Tool

Legolash2o

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/files/file/6-freeram-tool/

Let me know what you guys think :)

This tool lets you right-click the icon next to the clock and free up any unused memory. You can also enable the timer to do this every 10 seconds :)

To make the program start on Windows Startup then place the .exe in:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

The program remembers if you have enabled the timer or not for next startup, if you wish to change how often the timer will free-up ram then open regedit:

HKLM\\FreeRAM, change timer (milliseconds)

I would recommend people pass this over and avoid it just like all the other garbageware RAM "optimizers".

Per Mark Russinovich

Don't believe the hype. At best, RAM optimizers have no effect. At worst, they seriously degrade performance.

Source: http://www.windowsit...timization-hoax

Edited by Tarun

I would recommend people pass this over and avoid it just like all the other garbageware RAM "optimizers".

Per Mark Russinovich

Most important thing about this tool is that it is free and I'm sure it will remain free.

You can test it and if you don't like it, dump it, you haven't lost anything and you can't damage anything. :)

I made it after you mentioned it (same day), took 5 minutes lol. Does it work for you? any performance difference?

yes it work (actually it help alot my nephew who work as web designer also graphicist), this tool releasin' memory which somehow default memory optimisation in windows 7 doesn't work well in dual core processor (work normal in x3 or higher processor) if we do multitasking there (in his case is coreldraw, adobe photoshop, adobe indesign, adobe macromedia etc).

this tool help when switching one apps to another (release memory when u didn't used that).

Per Mark Russinovich

if u dont understand how this tool work, u should try first instead posting some useless comment which might offend someone.

legolash make this apps based on my post here http://www.wincert.n...dpost__p__78749

this tool doesn't offer "MAGIC" thing, it just releasing free memory in ur RAM, it work SIMPLE but very USEFULL.

Edited by ar_seven_am

• 4 weeks later...

if u dont understand how this tool work, u should try first instead posting some useless comment which might offend someone.

legolash make this apps based on my post here http://www.wincert.n...dpost__p__78749

this tool doesn't offer "MAGIC" thing, it just releasing free memory in ur RAM, it work SIMPLE but very USEFULL.

Sorry you're so upset that a memory optimizer does not in fact optimize memory or performance. In fact those programs do the exact opposite, they hurt performance. I have provided the links that have more than enough proof that these things only hurt your computers performance.

Mark Russinovich is the maker of the Systernals Suite. This man knows so much about Windows and it's internals that Microsoft hired him to work for them because of the excellent work he has done.

Memory optimization has been a long discussed topic, which has also had comprehensive research going into it. Mark is not the first to write an article about why these programs are garbage.

But hey, it's your system and if you want to hurt the performance of your computer; by all means. Just don't say you weren't warned. :)

@Tarun,

I understand your point, and I'm also a big fan of Mark Russinovich. But this tool that Legolash2o provided, at the request of ar_seven_am, is not being marketed as a Memory Optimizer. (It's not being marketed at all. LOL)

* It does not do the "allocating, then freeing, large amounts of virtual memory" trick. therefore it does not cause the performance degradation Mark explains could happen as a result.

* It does not do anything to try to defragment memory, so it does not run afoul of this false claim.

* It does not claim to regain memory lost to leaks.

* It makes no claims for improved performance at all.

* It is FREE.

It was not originally written as a separate app at all. It was originally written by Legolash2o to solve a problem within W7T where some memory was not being released appropriately within his own app that he wrote. So he wrote this to do that one thing, and that one thing only, to release the memory that he was done with and knew was supposed to be released so he could use it for something else during the app's execution. He didn't try to pitch this solution to anyone else. If all app makers were as conscientious about trying to clean up after themselves, then the memory manager's job would be much easier, don't you agree? Yes, you, and Mark, are correct that the memory manager should eventually release all memory that was not needed. But since Legolash2o KNEW he was done with that memory, as a responsible app maker, isn't it a good thing that he went ahead and released it?

Even without Legolash2o promoting this cleanup routine he added, ar_seven_am perceived a difference in the the app's performance. He then asked if Legolash2o could break the routine out into a stand alone app so that he could see if other apps might benefit as well, and Legolash2o graciously agreed and posted it here for anyone to try it if they wanted to. He has also committed to releasing the source if there are any further code changes. As N1K has stated, this app, like W7T, is and will remain a FREE app. You, and everyone else, are welcome to try the app, or not, as you see fit. If you don't perceive a difference, or just don't want it on your system for whatever reason, then uninstall it or don't install it in the first place.

Yes, ar_seven_am probably overreacted a little when you lumped this tool in with other 'garbageware RAM "optimizers"', but your statement was also a bit over the top, IMHO.

Now that everyone has expressed their opinion, let's all just leave it at that.

You can test it and if you don't like it, dump it, you haven't lost anything and you can't damage anything.

If anyone, would post their experiences after testing this tool, good or bad, then THAT would be useful information for everyone's benefit.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Sorry you're so upset that a memory optimizer does not in fact optimize memory or performance. In fact those programs do the exact opposite, they hurt performance. I have provided the links that have more than enough proof that these things only hurt your computers performance.

Mark Russinovich is the maker of the Systernals Suite. This man knows so much about Windows and it's internals that Microsoft hired him to work for them because of the excellent work he has done.

Memory optimization has been a long discussed topic, which has also had comprehensive research going into it. Mark is not the first to write an article about why these programs are garbage.

But hey, it's your system and if you want to hurt the performance of your computer; by all means. Just don't say you weren't warned. :)

Tarun, to be honest, if u work as graphicist or architect, an example if u use autocad, sketchup or adobe which limit how many memory needed, u'll get fatal error when the memory run out, u NEED additional free memory for the software to be used. (usually u'll get BSOD or ur system restart).

Let's say I only have 2 GB memory, 1 graphic application need 1 GB RAM free (not used by system), another application need 1 GB RAM free too. If I do multitasking n use both, u can guess ur computer will be sloooooooooooooooooooooooow as hell when u do another aplication becuz u've run out of resources, now the free ram tool (actually "free ram" might cause misperseption, should be free ram switcher or something) help u to freeing the ram when u switch to another aplication (at least what task manager show, I see additional DELAY time (about 1 second) processing when switching but it goes normally without having error).

I'm not saying u or mark russinovich wrong , but ur assumption about RAM OPTIMIZER for this I can say wrong, yes it doesn't give a lot different performance to me, but DO HELP to other people who work with heavy task in graphic rendering which always request FREE memory when they work.

for test, add hotfix package into ur windows image with dism or pkgmgr, open another aplication (multitasking), do look task manager, now use the tools n do the same things, check the task manager too (from this simple test, u'll find that).

note : Tarun, I do respect u since I also like to read ur post or topic in MSFN n I'm not upset, I'm just tired since I also do agree with Mark Russinovich said about RAM OPTIMIZER are garbage (yes, I think it's true, in the past time I use crapware which actually make me change my RAM twice, oh my) but this tool is different (that's why I ask lego for the source code, if I know he will make this separated, I wont make that by myself, oh well) usually RAM OPTIMIZER software are enemy for WINDOWS system, but this, I could say FRIEND?

added note for lego: I think the name should be free ram switcher, not becuz I dont like the name but with change the name people might understood how it work.

Edited by ar_seven_am

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...