Win Toolkit [The Little Things]

Legolash2o

Re: Test 5

• I think the descriptive text should be left-aligned instead of centred to be consistent with everything else. It'll be easier to read. Plus, it's the default standard in almost all applications.

• I like the Basic / Intermediate / Advanced main description line at the top of each, but they're too tightly close to the menu above and buttons below them. Not sure how it looks on standard 96 DPI, but I attached a screen shot on 120 DPI.

• I can see where you're going with the new title names for each button, but it's redundant because they're already labeled on the buttons themselves. Sometimes having too much text can make it look busy. Case in point: there are three copies of "All-In-One Integrator" in the same area.

post-25827-0-88779400-1344041947_thumb.p

Edited by Soyabeaner

Re: Test 5

• I think the descriptive text should be left-aligned instead of centred to be consistent with everything else. It'll be easier to read. Plus, it's the default standard in almost all applications.

• I like the Basic / Intermediate / Advanced main description line at the top of each, but they're too tightly close to the menu above and buttons below them. Not sure how it looks on standard 96 DPI, but I attached a screen shot on 120 DPI.

• I can see where you're going with the new title names for each button, but it's redundant because they're already labeled on the buttons themselves. Sometimes having too much text can make it look busy. Case in point: there are three copies of "All-In-One Integrator" in the same area.

I've made on text default alignment, i don't see your attachment.

I'll see what i can do about the third point.

EDIT: If it helps i can make everything look like the 'Main' > 'Intermediate' tab where theres is one tool per line.

Sorry. I always forget to click the Attach button. I updated my previous post.

EDIT: If it helps i can make everything look like the 'Main' > 'Intermediate' tab where theres is one tool per line.

That would work because it'd be organized :). The only minor drawback is it'll probably produce a vertical scroll bar by default (which I know can be easily fixed by stretching the window). It's just not as "default appealing" if that makes sense.

Edited by Soyabeaner

Well what can i say! Test 6 is much better, its just seams really odd with icons and text next to them, which to me anyway

is the hardest part to accept. i supose in a way its like goin from win 7 to win 8, and seeing the screen for the 1st time

and finking "What The F".

just had a thought while writing this!...what a great look it would be if the icons poped out a little like Rocket dock does, sort of animated, or i think another term is floating!..i cud be wong!

Good work , always seems to be on the ball.

(I still cannot find that coffee with milk and 2 sugars button!) ^_^

Edited by Muffy

just had a thought while writing this!...what a great look it would be if the icons poped out a little like Rocket dock does, sort of animated, or i think another term is floating!..i cud be wong!

I know these kind of things are a personal preference issue, but please NO to this one. To me it would just cheapen the look of a professional tool. Too gimmicky.

Cheers and Regards

What dont we use today which aint got gimmcks!

I dont use rocketdock but it does look nice.

Macs have that sexy looking interface and mobiles have bouncy icons, so why are we using them if they are gimmicky.

Maybe im missing out with my gimmicky samy 51" 3D plasma bluetooth tv, my Gimmicky hi spec PC which built myself

using gimmicky high spec components (being an avid gamer!) Dam! even my small guitar amps got flashing lights!

Just think, theres billions of these things sold, because of the gimmicks AND theres gonna be billions more sold

COS thats what people want!

Oh hang on.. what am i saying.......im still using a real cutdown N-lited xp pro corp with all the crap removed.

and no prettyboy ticks enabled, as it runs as fast as hell, Looks abit like win 2000.................................

oops almost forgot my win 7 partition for sme of my games that require win 7.

Its 9.30 am, iv no coffee and i can tell its gonna be a long day!...sigh.................................................

Edited by Muffy

Interesting how each proceeding test version is ever so slightly smaller ;)

• Test 6.7 is much better :thumbsup:. Thanks.

The top description line for each tab still needs a bit more breathing space; they're too close to the top menu buttons.

• Why is the AIO Integrator button text on the Basic tab the only one that's bolded with the darker blue border highlight? I wouldn't mind if all the button text is bolded, but it would make the outer buttons on the left look less emphasized.

• If the icons can't be animated or pop out as you hover over them as Muffy suggested, then maybe you can at least change the border colour from blue to something that stands out more? Or just make the blue thicker?

• There's something that bothered me since the beginning, so I might as well report it now: overlapping tooltips. Mainly caused by a slight delay in the preceding tooltip disappearing.

Edited by Legolash2o

• There's something that bothered me since the beginning, so I might as well report it now: overlapping tooltips. Mainly caused by a slight delay in the preceding tooltip disappearing.

I also reported this but seems that Lego can't find a solution for this. http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/10002-win-toolkit-the-little-things/page__st__20#entry87158

1. Why is the AIO Integrator button text on the Basic tab the only one that's bolded with the darker blue border highlight? I wouldn't mind if all the button text is bolded, but it would make the outer buttons on the left look less emphasized.
  2. • If the icons can't be animated or pop out as you hover over them as Muffy suggested, then maybe you can at least change the border colour from blue to something that stands out more? Or just make the blue thicker?
  3. • There's something that bothered me since the beginning, so I might as well report it now: overlapping tooltips. Mainly caused by a slight delay in the preceding tooltip disappearing.

1. It's bold so it stands out more (for beginners), it has a darker blue background because it's the currently selected. if you keep pressing tab it will cycle through all of the buttons. But again, it has done on purpose so new users see it. I've removed the bold text but luckily that blue border (because it's selected) makes it stand out slightly more.

2. There isn't really an option to change the button border.

3. This does happen on Windows 8 so i may need a screenshot.

The buttons look pretty good on Windows 8 anyway.

post-10183-0-37673500-1344089193_thumb.p

http://wincert.net/leli55PK/Testing/

Test 7 is released.

• Less bold buttons
  • Text at the top of each 'Main' tab looks more centered and appear to have more 'breathing space'
  • No names on the groups like there was on the Tools menu
  • Changed some stuff with tooltips which hopefully will help with "overlapping" issues, which i could not reproduce.
  • Buttons glow blue when mouse is over them
  • Made some changes on the 'About' tab
  • Smaller pictures on the 'Welcome' tab

Looks great on Windows 8, haven't tested on Windows 7.

When opening any option screen (e.g. Win Toolkit Options or Component Removal) I can't scroll up or down by default. To do so would require clicking inside the screen first, which can be tricky without accidentally clicking one of the settings. I prefer scrolling over the old fashion vertical scroll bar most of the time due to its convenience of allowing me to keep the mouse cursor where I want it. Perhaps this can be fixed by setting the default focus inside each screen.

Edited by Soyabeaner

When opening any option screen (e.g. Win Toolkit Options or Component Removal) I can't scroll up or down by default. To do so would require clicking inside the screen first, which can be tricky without accidentally clicking one of the settings. I prefer scrolling over the old fashion vertical scroll bar most of the time due to its convenience of allowing me to keep the mouse cursor where I want it. Perhaps this can be fixed by setting the default focus inside each screen.

Try in the latest test version.

Test 10: http://wincert.net/leli55PK/Testing/

This is starting to look sexy, the downloads section look great, almost "mac" like.

Overall there is more of a pin sharp look, i still think more can be done to the welcome screen, may be more of a space

between the icons and txt!

What about loosing the icons and have the " getting started, windows 7 SP1 ISO, caution " discriptions centralised!

Edited by Muffy