Advanced Guide and Update Integration?

Dim-Trij

Hi Legolash2o and than you for great an excellent piece of software.

I can hardly imagine that anybody has more experience with Win Toolkit then you Legolash2o. So do you think you could share -I think the most critical- part of your setting of Win Toolkit the components which you usually remove? I still missing something like Winterstorm 2050's "Components to keep list". Respectively what is only matter are dependencies between components you can remove by Win Toolkit and basic OS functions for example Wifi, printing and utilization of common software.

I know there is a great thread about updates and their mode but I still missing an important link between updates and their integration with Win Toolkit. The mechanism of the integration can be for instance:

a] the new and updated files from integrated update directly overwrite "old" files of the used ISO of Windows?

b] the files from integrated update are just moved to some temporal folder and packed again with customized ISO and installed only when the whole OS is installed?

then consequences could be these:

In case a] when the updates are just packed to ISO on the one side their installation is unattended but size of ISO can be significantly increased.

If the components are removed and next step is the integration of the updates (like b]) which can add some files used by these removed components does have Win Toolkit some mechanism how to do it effectively?

My point is, if one installs the updates (manually or with Windows Update service) after the installation of customized OS (without integrated updates of course) isn't it the most effective way (in sense of addition of unnecessary files)?

Thank you.

You can't really make a components keep list, the things i remove a different everytime depending on the scenario however for when it comes my laptop i just tick what I know i won't need so nearly everything gets ticked.

About updates, Win Toolkit passes them to DISM (DISM.exe /Image:[MountPath] /Add-Package /PackagePath:[FileName] and then lets DISM handle them, it will most likely use something close to method B and install the updates during Windows installation.

Win Toolkit will integrate updates, drivers, etc... first and then remove things you have selected so add first then remove second. That's just to make sure nothing gets added back.