Clean Install

BYTE-ME

For all of you folks, like me, who perform clean installs relatively frequently, Microsoft apparently is on the warpath about rooting out frequent queries to their Product ID server now that Windows 8 is imminent. They'll deem your software pirated, with no evidence other than the fact that you frequently request Product ID validation frequently. I've had valid copies of Windows 7 and Office 2010 placed on the banned list and have had to ship them copies of the software (at my expense) and go through weeks of down time until they reach a verdict. Anyway, if somebody can find out how often "frequently" is please let me know so I can avoid this hassle and just install a reimaged drive, instead.

Edited by BYTE-ME

Although Windows 7 product activation function will keep reminding user how many days left to input a product key and activate the system in order to continue using the operating system beyond 30 days. In reality, Windows 7 also equip with a secret ‘rearm’ key in order to reset the free 30-day evaluation period limitation, which allows user to extend the activation-free usage or evaluation expiry date of Windows 7 for another 30 days legally.

Best of all, Microsoft provides 3 times of available ‘rearm’ count, as part of tool for system administrator to reset and restore activation state of Windows 7 to factory state during initial OOB (out of box) grace period. So, by using the ‘rearm’ hack, user can reset and extend the activation grace period (aka evaluation trial period) for up to 3 times, effectively running Windows 7 without product key without activation for up to 120 days, or 4 months. The trick is, the rearm hack must be done only when the 30 days trial period or activation grace period is about to expire.

‘Rearm’ trick on Windows 7 is done using the similar commands and steps with Windows Vista. Follow these steps to reset and extend activation grace period from 30 days to 120 days in Windows 7:

1.Install Windows 7 without any product activation key.

2.After installation is completed, use the Windows 7 for 30 days and wait for the remaining days left to activate Windows counting down to 0, or almost zero.

3.When the activation grace period (or evaluation trial period) is almost expired or ended, log on to Windows 7 desktop, and open a Command Prompt window (i.e. type Cmd in Start Search and hit Enter).

4.Type any of the following commands into the command prompt, and then hit Enter:

sysprep /generalize

slmgr.vbs –rearm

rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows

slmgr /rearm

5.Reboot Windows 7 to enjoy another 30 days of free usage without worrying about activation nor even need to crack Windows 7.

6.When the activation grace period countdown timer almost running down to 0 again, repeat the ‘rearm’ trick to enjoy another 30 days of Windows 7 for free. User can run the rearm command for maximum of 3 times.

As rearm only works for 3 times, make sure the command is only been run when the 30 days countdown of evaluation period is almost expired.

This gives you @ 4 months of "evaluation"...

... I've had valid copies of Windows 7 and Office 2010 placed on the banned list and have had to ship them copies of the software (at my expense) and go through weeks of down time until they reach a verdict. Anyway, if somebody can find out how often "frequently" is please let me know so I can avoid this hassle and just install a reimaged drive, instead.

Really? Hmmmm ... makes me want to just hack the activation instead. That seems a bit harsh. I guess the flip side to that would be to just pay for an MSDN license in which you would get a bunch of keys with I think up to 10 activations on them. (or course one could back up your activation if your computer did not change its hardware, but that is all a seperate topic) ...

be careful, you don't want to break any rules now :P

Off Topic: As if MS never "broke" any rules when its company was getting started ... I never had to activate MS-DOS or even Windows 95 to make them run. They just worked. MS treats its customers nearly as if they were criminals these days. I paid for it legally. It does not mean I want to deal with their crap activation.

I actually agree in some ways, i legally purchase stuff all the time but i end up removing the protection to make things easier.

Take Settlers 7 for example, you need to be constantly connected to the internet in order to play the game, even singleplayer. Lose connection and BAM your game exits without saving. Users who had legally bought the game had all sorts of issues such as not being able to play the game (server down, no internet, disconnections, etc..) whilst those who 'downloaded' the game had no issues at all.

So yeah companies do add too much protection, DRM, etc... So in the Settlers 7 situation, i purchased the game (legally) and then removed the protections because producers/developers add so much protection that it gives those who buy things legally a whole bunch of hassle and things such as DRM increases the price of the product.

Personally i just think a serial key + have CD inserted whilst playing is enough protection. Companies spend so much on protecting their software and yet hackers break it within a week, seems a bit pointless and the money saved from pointless over protection can be passed onto the customers, therefore have more people buying the product.

While I agree "cracking" software without paying for it is bad, in ways it does make some people who "crack" those games more likely to purchase the game legally. Take for instance those people who regularly "download" games without paying for them. Those people do not pay for those games, so the legal "grey" area is that they would have never paid for the game anyway. Some of those people like the game well enough to come back and pay for it. Yes, the argument is not etirely 'strong', but the hacking underground will happen no matter what companies do. Make the game good enough, people will pay for good products, despite what hacking has been done.

The big hoot is that now that Microsoft has reviewed my software and agreed to replace it, they say: "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your complimentary kit." What a company.

The fact that you had to go through the whole process is still "criminal" to me. Best of luck to your future MS endeavors.

It doesn't help that a company charges like $59 for a game which can be completed in less than a day, some new games i completed in about 6 hours :(

Yeah look at Battlefield 3, I completed that around 8 hours and you need to use the web browser to play the game! (Off topic: Multiplayer on the other hand is amazing!)