Option to boost program speed by increasing CPU load

someone_else

While the program is doing WIM manipulation (adding stuff to WIM with the AIO integrator), I've noticed that it leaves plenty of CPU power and RAM for other tasks even on my old machine.

This is cool because it allows me to run it while doing other stuff, but....

What about adding an option that boosts the program's speed by dramatically increasing CPU load?

This way if someone wants to run the program overnight, it can be run faster by sacrificing multitasking capability which is unnecessary if the user is asleep.

you mean the one called "freeram" or somesuch? I was under the impression that was something alike to firemin, there only to stop eventual memory leaks (you know, new code, limited amount of testing...).

I never touched it for this reason (was always ticked), but I fail to find it again. :shifty:

EDIT: Aha! found the little bugger as a standalone download from Legolash! seems like I was right, it just frees up unused ram (which is critical to not trash your machine if you run stuff with gargantuan of memory leaks like Firefox).

I'll give it a try to see if the dang libreoffice is full of leaks as well. Always wanted a firemin-for-all-programs.

I'm asking for some option to make the program run faster at any cost, even at the cost of running CPU at near 100% and locking out enough ram to not allow any other task to be performed. Because this is useful if you run the thing overnight (i.e. it's alone, multitasking is pointless if I'm sleeping) over some monumental task.

I mean now it is doing its job integrating stuff in WIMs and the CPU is at less than 10, and used RAM is around 1 gig. (I still have another gig free for other tasks so it's pretty cozy)

Edited by someone_else

Mh, didn't notice them but did the same from Task manager.

When set on Real Time (or whatever the highest priority setting is called in english) from its own option panel (and checking from Task Manager confirms it's on Real Time) it runs faster on some tasks like loading/unloading WIMS and when loading addons/updates/drivers in the wizard, but when actually adding something to WIMs (addons updates and drivers) it runs the same (uses near to no resources and runs kinda slow).

I enabled the option that tells me what files it is working with, and I see that it remains on even tiny things for 10+ seconds.

And my antivirus is disabled atm.

If it's not just a problem I have somewhere in my hardware, than that is the area where I'm asking you to speed it up. If possible at all.

EDIT: it's been 45 min and it has integrated 52 updates.

Edited by someone_else

No. Was not enabled. Ad for "tiny" things I mean updates below 1 mb of size.

Trying again with 50 random "tiny" updates and the LDR/QFE Mode enabled. And everything on Real Time from its own options.

It takes between 1 min and 30 secs to integrate most of those 50 sub-mb updates. Although some did take around two minutes.

CPU graph from task manager shows some activity every now and then, but for most of the time it sits at 10% or so.

EDIT: Even unticking the Check Compatibility box the above does not change.

Edited by someone_else

Unfortunately there's nothing i can do about this, Windows handles all of this crap. Multi-threading helps but that's been in Win Toolkit for like 2 years.

I'm going to have to close this thread. If it makes you feel any better, i did spend a couple of hours looking into this but all the results said the same thing 'Windows handles this'. :(