Running Windows installation corrupted after using Win Toolkit 1.4.0.65

jistme

It might be my own fault, not being a big expert, but I've been using Win Toolkit before and this never happened before:

I tried to make a fresh USB installer with McRip's updates integrated. (extracted dvd image and Win Toolkit on D: partition)

Running and creating Win7 Ultimate x64.

After completing I realised I forgot to add a driver, and ran it again (never did that before, and maybe i did something wrong there)

Used the resulting USB stick to clean-install another PC, but noticed after doing so no updates or settings were added.

Ran Win Toolkit all over again, same result. Removed Win Toolkit and dvd image files, started clean all over, same result.

Now I get pop ups that my current C drive is getting full. Found a folder on my C drive named Wintoolkit with a 'mount' folder in it, which is getting larger and larger... (now about 11GB)

Also muy current Windows is downloading updates while it was already up to date.

Also some programs lost registration and say trial period ended and won't work anymore.

I can rename the Wintoolkit folder and the 'mount' folder, but can't delete it (also tried changing ownership, unlock etc. etc)

I am aware there is a setting somewhere were you can select to update your running Windows system, but I am sure I haven't touched that.

In short, I now have a small disaster, I'll now have to completely reinstall my working PC which was running perfectly before.

What may I have done wrong, and shouldn't there at least have been a warning that Win Toolkit was going to alter my running Windows installation?

(anyway, still thanks for a great tool)

I doubt that is a issue in the software, probably a mistake on part of the user.

Here are some solutions for your problems you mentioned:

--if you can't delete the "WinToolkit" folder and you are absolutly sure you want to delete it, you can download a LiveCD of Ubuntu (linux), boot trou it and delete the folder your having trouble to delete.

--regarding your windows, if somehow you messed up, you can simply go to restore option on windows and use a restore point date from before you start noticeing the problem you got.

Hope it helps you, these are the simpliest ways you could resolve your problems.

Edited by SsurferR

While I apreciate the feedback and some tips, there seems to be some confusion about my posting and what happened.

I was not trying to update my running system, so KUC has nothing to do with it.

I was trying to create a bootable usb stick, with McRip updated Windows 7 x64, and had all neccesary files and Win Toolikt on D: partition.

Somehow Win Toolkit changed and added files on my running system on C:

It may have been my own fault, it may have been some bug/error in Win Toolkit or other software on my system.

Now for the most part I am up and running again after a complete reinstall.

I just thought to post this either for the sake of mentioning a possible bug in 1.4.0.65, either to learn what I exactly may have done wrong what caused this. I don't want to have this happen again.

Likely your issue is related to "running out of space". WinToolkit makes a mount of the wim files (by default) to your system drive. Typically your system drive is also the location of the temporary directory. Both of those together could have caused your system drive to get full and therefore causing odd problems with your other programs (I have seen it happen when a drive gets full). The big lesson here is to make sure you have *lots* of room free on the drive that WinToolKit uses for its work.

Thnx crashfly, that sounds indeed like what might have caused it.

I am using a relatively small ssd as system drive. Yet big enough (up till now) for everything I have been doing.

There is no setting to move the Win Toolkit temp folders to another partition is there?

Thnx crashfly, that sounds indeed like what might have caused it.

I am using a relatively small ssd as system drive. Yet big enough (up till now) for everything I have been doing.

There is no setting to move the Win Toolkit temp folders to another partition is there?

Of course!

Options --> Misc, but you have to generate first the folder Wintoolkit on another HDD.

BTW, you will see, what a speed lost you get with temp on HDD!

I need for my configuration 40 min on SSD and more as twice on HDD.

Edited by Thiersee

yes I had the same problem I ran the program from my 2TB drive but the default settings were chewing up my SSD it filled up the SSD not knowing that it creates a seperate mount folder. The developer did an excellent job but many people do run SSD's and because of this by default the program should do the mount in the directory that the program is extracted to rather then the absolute path of C:... SSD's have a small amount of write cycles and due to the fact that TRIM is only issued in time based intervals it will cause amplified writes which shorten the life of the drive even quicker... So I believe anyone using this program will logically run into the same issues until they click the options button and find out that everything by default goes to C: which in many cases is damaging to users of this program... It is however the best program developed for windows hands down there is not a better one out there that I have found the interface is the smoothest least error prone aside from this one little cavet.

I'm actually considering to make WInToolkit to scan all partitions and create the WinToolkit folder on the one with a most free space.

It's fine for Win Toolkit to make the determination of where it thinks is the best place, but please then have a box pop up and tell the user where that place is and give them an option to either approve the selection, override the selection with their own choice, or maybe even cancel the whole thing.

Cheers and Regards

It's fine for Win Toolkit to make the determination of where it thinks is the best place, but please then have a box pop up and tell the user where that place is and give them an option to either approve the selection, override the selection with their own choice, or maybe even cancel the whole thing.

Cheers and Regards

I agree. The default initial selection is just fine, but give us a chance to change it. I have previously set aside a whole partition for just temporary files, but the partition is not the largest out of them all.

Fair enough. I assume then that there is at least some popup box or in-your-face notice as to what location has been selected, just so the user can't claim they didn't know that Win Toolkit was going to use XX: disk for its files? I'm really trying to help you keep from having to post RTFM type answers over and over when folks post here wondering why such-and-such disk was chosen. :)

Cheers and Regards