Update Retriever Confusion

yogurt

Hi all. Stumbled upon W7T about a week ago. I must say it's quite impressive. I'm a little confused about the Update Retriever tool. I understand the description of the tool, however, I cant seem to figure out how the tool sorts updates from those that are

1. Critical Updates

2. Important Upates

3. Service Packs

4. Optional Updates

I understand that the files found under the Windows Update tab come from using the Windows Update Feature of W7, but I am not understanding is the sources of the files found under the CAB files tab. I'm concerned that if I intergrate the entire list and install W7 on lets say a system that doesnt need a certain update will break the installation of the OS on the target machine. I am currently using a tool called Windows Update Downloder (WUD) http://www.windowsup...downloader.com/

screenshot01.gif

This tool basicaly sorts all Windows 7 Post SP1 (EN) as listed above and alows me to selectively download as per my needs. I like the idea that W7T contains an Update "Downloader" and would like to use it exclusively if i could just makes heads or tails out of it. I'm sure it's verry simple to decipher but i'm just not able to quite wrap my head around it. can these updates be intergrated without having to worry about the order in which they are installed. Example. Is W7T aware that certain updates have prerequisites before they are installed. I looked at the Guide forum but the information I found is rather vague. Thanks again. Peace out! :beerchug:

Edited by dotfusion

Personally i used Update Catalog within Win Toolkit to download updates. Unfortunately it doesn't give as much information as the program you mentioned (which looks nice) but it's hard to contain that information when there are literally 500+ updates for McRip to maintain. And those 500+ are just Win 7 Post-SP1 Updates!

I will try and answer your questions as i see them. I don't really see any question marks in there so i'll give it my best shot :)

1. Windows Update Tab

Win Toolkit doesn't work with the Windows Update feature itself. When you download an update via Windows Update, the information and http link of each update gets stored in 'C:\\Windows\\WindowsUpdate.log'. Win Toolkit then simply scans each line in that text file search for anything with HTTP and .MSU and then simply adds it to the list for you to download. It doesn't contain information such as critical, important, optional, etc... as I don't think that information is stored within that same log file.

2. CAB Tab

When you download something via Windows Update, Microsoft stores that update in cab format in 'C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution\\Downloads\\' and Win Toolkit just offers you the option to copy the to a custom folder so you can integrate them.

Yes it's fine to just integrate them without worrying about the order. If a user has reported that an update requires a prerequisites, then it will get added to a group called 'Priority' within the Update tab.

For example if you integrate IE9 then Win Toolkit will integrate IE9 before it even looks at any IE9 updates you have also added.

Anything else? Sorry if i've missed out anything. I'm sort of rushing as I have to go to University soon :D

Thats a great help mate. Thanks for taking the time on your busy schedule. As I understand both tabs contain a set of unique updates all originating from Windows/Microsoft update? Some are are .CAB files and the others are .MSU.

I notice W7T has a tool to convert .CAB to .MSU. Can I not just intergrate a set of mixed (.CAB & .MSU). In what situation would I want to convert a .CAB to .MSU.

On another note, I opened up the component remover this evening and have only one question with repect to the column labeled "State" (Installed, Install pending, Staged, xxMB) can you give me a brief explaination of what these States mean in terms of W7T. Once again thanks again. Time to get some shut eye. I'm Planning to give my first built a go in a VM over the weekend.

Edited by dotfusion

CAB files are file which Windows Update has downloaded. MSU files are the direct links from the WindowsUpdate.log. You don't have to integrate them both i.e. If you have KB123456 in both cab and msu format, you only need to integrate one of them.

If you really wanted to you can add either cab or msu, Win Toolkit will extract the cab file automatically if required. There's no point adding the same update twice. I personally just add the MSU files UNLESS i only have an update in cab format.

Installed = Installed

Install Pending = Windows will install it during Windows Installation, that's how Microsoft wanted it to work (DISM)

Can't remember the others.

Integrating cab files is quicker, especially if you have LDR/QFE Mode enabled.

Thanks for the clarification, I think. LOL I'm still trying to get my head around where it gets the cab from if you only integrate the msu and not the cab. I must still be missing something obvious. Isn't the msu compressed in the cab? So if you only supply the msu, where does it get the cab? Whereas if you only supply the cab, doesn't it have to extract the msu from the cab? Do I have it backwards somehow?

Cheers and Regards

The MSU file contains the cab. The cab file is compressed within the msu :P

You have it backwards :D Open an MSU file with 7zip and see for yourself.

Thanks. Now it makes perfect sense. :)

Though it then does raise the question of why there should be a built-in tool in Win Toolkit to convert cab to msu, and not one to convert msu to cab. Is this a holdover from when Win Toolkit did not handle cab files directly? So I'll ask dotfusion's question again -

In what situation would I want to convert a .CAB to .MSU.

Sorry to be a pest, just trying to understand what is the best, fastest, most preferred method and why. Thanks for your answers and your patience, not to mention this wonderful tool!

I rechecked the label on the tool and I did in fact have it backwards. The tool actualy converts from MSU > CAB and not as i originaly quoted CAB > MSU.

Ahh! Now it all makes perfect sense! I should have caught that as well. :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks mate, this makes perfect sense. bphlp, I rechecked the label on the tool and I did in fact have it backwards. The tool actualy converts from MSU > CAB and not as i originaly quoted CAB > MSU. That being said, I would agree with LegoLash's statement that Integrating cab files is quicker, especially if you have LDR/QFE Mode enabled.

Edited by dotfusion