WinToolkit v1.5.0.x [What To Expect]

Legolash2o

As you may have noticed we are coming up to build v1.5 and thought I should let you know what to expect and what I will be doing as we go towards version 1.5 but first I will explain why I haven't added many new features in the current v1.4 build.

The reason I have not added as many features as planned in v1.4.0 such as component removal is because when v1.4 initially got released is because it received a huge boost in users and lots of bug reports started appearing. I'm not complaining about bug reports, I love them and love learning from my mistakes and improves my skills as a programmer.

I then decided to focus v1.4 on bug fixes instead of requests and only added simple requests. I absolutely refuses to add new features when I know about current issues which need fixing. Yes, the current program works great and fine for the majority of the users however some problems big/small exist for a minority of users and I'm not going to forget about those users. You could argue requests are more important than bug fixes for the rest of our lives but I won't budge on that.

So v1.5, I'm looking forward to cycling through all of the requests (oldest first) and expand WinToolkit. Seriously, if you haven't made a request yet then add it in the request forum. As I get closer to build 1.4.0.100 I will be keeping you guys updated. I will start reading all of the requests and respond to them saying whether I can add them or not and why. If there is any reason why I can't add a feature, it mot likely because I don't have the knowledge/skill to add that specific feature.

Also there's no point adding features which another program which is still actively being worked in can do. Features from program's such as RT7Lite I will try as they are no longer being developed however adding the features from program's which are still being worked just seems disrespectful and stealing considering that they are also doing it I their spare time and for free.

So anyways yeah, v1.5 is when your requests get added and I will let you know which ones as we get closer to v1.5. If things are looking well then I could just skip from build v1.4.0.85 for example to build v1.5 if it seems stable enough.

Any questions? Just ask here..

Requests go in there 'Request' sub-forum. Requests are made anywhere else will be ignored.

1) opportunity to remove more components and features

2) clean update integration (without an ability to remove them)

3) resources modification (logon screen, installation background screen, default wallpaper)

To remove more components may lead an UNSTABLE OS. Each removed component and feature will return as a PROBLEMATIC OS. Wintoolkit has already have enough removing component features.

Asking for more removal features will be a phantasy!!

Edited by oguz

I hope that v1.4 stays also available when 1.5 is started, because sometimes things tend to break if new features get added.

And sometimes there is a need to do a minor change in wim, which works in old version but may be broken in new one, so we would have a choice at least a short amount of time.

So if you try new versiond and it wont work out, as expected you could always report bug, re-download old "stable" build and do your stuff and wait for a fix...

Edited by Etz

In case you're wondering why there has not been any releases for a while, it's because I'm preparing to start the v1.5 release.

Before I can start that build i have to do a lot of 'code refactoring' which I haven't done since v1.2. Basically, this is where I update all of my old code to the new methods I have learned since originally coding that part of the code. It will make Win Toolkit more efficient and hopefully faster (last time it made it way faster). Most importantly it will allow me to easily add new features.

This however does take time. We are talking about 1 person (me) individually checking 50,000+ lines of code and updating if necessary :-O

I'm off to sleep for the night (2am), just been going through the error logs fixing issues.So far I have fixed:

*1.4.0.76^FIX: Fixed .theme integration

*1.4.0.76^FIX: Fixed access denied message at beginning of mount

*1.4.0.76^FIX: Fixed temp directory error during startup

*1.4.0.76^FIX: Hopefully fixed file copying error with %SystemDrive% in AIO

*1.4.0.76^FIX: Multiple bug fixes due to code refactoring

*1.4.0.76^FIX: WinToolkit temp folder renamed to WinToolkit_Temp

I will continue reading the rest in the morning and fix issues as I find them. After releasing a new version, I will go through the forum fixing issues I have missed.

I've also fixed quite a few issues and inefficiencies whilst going through my first stage of 'code refactoring'. Hopefully I will pick up more during stage 2.

Ok, well stage #1 of code refactoring is complete. This basically got rid of about 200+ lines of code by merging things, using a bit of LINQ, etc... I've been working on stage #2 today, which consists of individually looking at each line of code and seeing how I can do it better. Most of it so far is done by adding a few more methods.

• The first startup form you see (progress bar, check for updates, etc..) has been reduced from 675 lines of code to 463 lines of code (31% reduction)
  • The main form (where you choose the tools you want) has been reduced from 1066 lines of code to 733 lines (31% reduction)

If things keep going the way they are then we all should expect a much more efficient program. I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to the rest of the program. If i average out the savings to far (31%) then i should go from 55k lines of code to 38k saving 17k lines of code :-O

It already feels like it's starting much quicker now that i've moved a bunch of code around.

To me, this code "perfecting", though very tedious at times, can give a huge amount of satisfaction to the programmer for a bit of code that is expected to last a long time. Not to mention how it usually helps find bugs, makes it easier to maintain and update, and improves your skills as a programmer for future projects. Keep up the GREAT work!

Cheers and Regards

In case you're wondering why there has not been any releases for a while, it's because I'm preparing to start the v1.5 release.

Before I can start that build i have to do a lot of 'code refactoring' which I haven't done since v1.2. Basically, this is where I update all of my old code to the new methods I have learned since originally coding that part of the code. It will make Win Toolkit more efficient and hopefully faster (last time it made it way faster). Most importantly it will allow me to easily add new features.

This however does take time. We are talking about 1 person (me) individually checking 50,000+ lines of code and updating if necessary :-O

It's fantastic that you're working on this, but I have a question. Can't you keep a working 1.4.0 version with the ''stable'' mark, and your code reworking in a new-app-name 1.5.0 beta?

I'm asking because I really needed a working build the other day, and started with build .76, and it never occured to me that bugs can reappear. I thought that the code changes were coming in build 1.5.0; and with your code changing, it's very likely some things will not work again, and maybe some users don't want to be beta-testers. Also, it may have a huge impact on newcommers, that may think your app is buggy.

So a ''stable'' 1.4.0 and ''beta'' 1.5.0 tags I think it's the way to go. I will help as usual with testing the new 1.5.0, and I'll always use it, unless I have an urgency, when a stable release will be very useful. :)

It's fantastic that you're working on this, but I have a question. Can't you keep a working 1.4.0 version with the ''stable'' mark, and your code reworking in a new-app-name 1.5.0 beta?

I'm asking because I really needed a working build the other day, and started with build .76, and it never occured to me that bugs can reappear. I thought that the code changes were coming in build 1.5.0; and with your code changing, it's very likely some things will not work again, and maybe some users don't want to be beta-testers. Also, it may have a huge impact on newcommers, that may think your app is buggy.

So a ''stable'' 1.4.0 and ''beta'' 1.5.0 tags I think it's the way to go. I will help as usual with testing the new 1.5.0, and I'll always use it, unless I have an urgency, when a stable release will be very useful. :)

Hehe yeah, this is a great idea. I am brand new to the program and I just started on .75. After a few successful images I upgraded to .76 and ended up spending quite a few frustrating hours wondering where I went wrong because of that crippling SFX bug. With that being said though, this is an amazing program and has been a pleasure to use!

For new features (or improvements), would it be possible to have better image settings for the logon changer for when automatically converting to other resolutions? I noticed if you weren't using the default image resolution, the image quality suffers terribly. Another good feature to have would be to be able to change the default account picture (the user.bmp). Other than that, can't think of anything else at the moment.

I've added 1920x1080.

I've also made it so that in future if a user is currently using a screen resolution on any of their connected monitors which i've not specifically added support for. Then Win Toolkit will detect that and also create an image for those resolutions...