Removing Components Requests [Merged]

pppx00

Hi Lego, when you're going to work on the "Component Remover" to add more things to remove, i.e., all the languages, more drivers, keyboards, etc.

Also showing the estimate size of removal of the component, you know, making your tool more suitable for a complete vLite replacement :D.

• 1 month later...

Do you mean that the stuff I see in the component removal section is final? The available MS tools won't let you remove anything else? Really? That's weird :-O For example there are some drivers visible, but far from all. Why does it work that way?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I really would appreciate a option to remove DISM protected Drivers marked as Inbox drivers

You only can remove/deinstall 3rd Party (oemX.inf) drivers after integration.

But i need some hacking, so that i can completly remove (including registry settings) some Inbox drivers.

afai understand/know the Inbox-Flag/Info is located in System32\DriverStore

infpub.dat or/and infstor.dat or/and infstrng.dat

We would donate this work! ;)

BTW/PS

I'm not that much familiar with you Tool i tested 0.85 once, but hadn't time for much testing.

Did you already include the "install_wim_tweakt.exe" to make some hidden packages visibility and remove/editable?!

Thanks.

I don't have a real methode i just only have a messy script which deletes the folder which include the XXX.inf Inbox-Driver names form FileRepository, WinSXS and INF. This works "a little" but is "quick" and dirty. All registry-settting are still in the Hives. Also there are some weird behavior.

I analysed the DISM with procmon an did some checks between and 3rd party and inbox driver within this files, and i saw some "flag" but i can't remember... but anyway dism didn't wanted to remove the driver an the /get-drivers listing was uncompletet after editing the files (it had some output and stoped in the middle with an error)

I removed a big "core-driver-component" which was possible with install_tweak_wim but than absolutly nothing worked anymore.

I have my old, little sorted, resource files. If you interessted i can send them to you / upload them.

There you might can see what happend...?!

1) you can add a option to choose which themes want to keep? or a option to remove architecture, characters, landscapes, nature, scenes themes and keep only the default windows 7 theme? 2) you can add new themes. a option to choose which theme be the default would be super. 3) option to remove all screensavers

Edited by Legolash2o

• 2 weeks later...

C:\>dism /image:boot2 /remove-driver /driver:cdrom.inf

Tool zur Abbildverwaltung für die Bereitstellung

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Abbildversion: 6.1.7601.17514

Found 1 driver package(s) to remove.

Removing 1 of 1 - cdrom.inf: The driver package was successfully removed.

Hehe... i think we got it today :)

Remove:

- Wallpapers (Windows\Web\Wallpaper)

- Themes (Windows\Resources\Themes)

- Screensavers (Windows\System32\*.scr)

- Gadgets (Windows Sidebar\Gadgets)

- Sample music (Users\Public\Music\Sample Music)

EDIT:

Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-bubbles_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ca7337e2e3a2a824\Bubbles.scr

And a few others are created aswel, I know winsxs shouldn't be tampered with, but keeping screensavers in a install seems a bit overkill

Edited by Legolash2o

-1 for sample music. It's a very dangerous tweak - without that samples windows experience cannont be run, and windows experience is the most important factor for ssd optimizing, since after windows gives a note to the ssd (primary hard disk), it auto-optimizes itself by switching off some services and other unneeded stuff.

At least write (smth like) this in the description, Lego. :)

-1 for sample music. It's a very dangerous tweak - without that samples windows experience cannont be run, and windows experience is the most important factor for ssd optimizing, since after windows gives a note to the ssd (primary hard disk), it auto-optimizes itself by switching off some services and other unneeded stuff.

At least write (smth like) this in the description, Lego.

What do you mean by "windows experience" please? The Window's 'speed' testing tool that spits out an "index"? You don't need the Windows Experience Index to optimize SSDs. You just have to make sure all the changes to SDD & OS (BIOs updates, turn on TRIM, turn off hibernation, moving folders, etc) are implemented. Info & tips on how to do this & test is here:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-setup-secrets-and-tune-up-tweaks/2910

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-cutting-your-system-drive-down-to-size/2941?pg=3

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/windows-7-and-ssds-trimming-the-fat-from-your-system-drive/6191299

There are other tools to test HD & system speed.

I do think adding warnings of dependencies (eg need "Sample Music" to run Windows Experience Index) is a great idea & IMHO needed though. Thanks for the warning!

What do you mean by "windows experience" please? The Window's 'speed' testing tool that spits out an "index"? You don't need the Windows Experience Index to optimize SSDs. You just have to make sure all the changes to SDD & OS (BIOs updates, turn on TRIM, turn off hibernation, moving folders, etc) are implemented. Info & tips on how to do this & test is here:

http://www.zdnet.com...-up-tweaks/2910

http://www.zdnet.com...-size/2941?pg=3

http://www.zdnet.com...m-drive/6191299

http://www.wincert.n...-ssd-partition/

There are other tools to test HD & system speed.

I do think adding warnings of dependencies (eg need "Sample Music" to run Windows Experience Index) is a great idea & IMHO needed though. Thanks for the warning!

I agree with RicaNeaga as i have also removed the Sample Music and this is what know iam getting, There are other too many tweaks which will work some hardware dependent pcs, So W7 Toolkit should tell us or just a short description should be there, Warning or you can say consequences of removing or enablings these will do XYZ , etc etc.

windows7x64201108312046.jpg

@sirtex I don't intend to debate with noone because this is not the purpose of this thread, but the EASIEST way to tweak windows to run faster when a ssd is present is to run Windows Experience Index imediatelly after windows install (& installing the drivers, of course).

windows is auto-optimizing itself (only 7, preferably sp1) after this depending on the grade storage device got.

you don't have to believe me, believe him for example (pages 203 or 394 of the .pdf) ... and he's more trustworthy than all the mini-blogs-advices you can give me put together. :)

of course there are some additional tweaks that can give VERY little boosts to the ssds, and some ways of using windows that protect the ssd by minimazing the writes on it or that maximizes the space available, but some of them unfortunately are potentially dangerous or even shams.

end of my intervention, i won't be offtopic no more. sorry. :)

windows is auto-optimizing itself [using Windows Experience Index] (only 7, preferably sp1) after this depending on the grade storage device got.

you don't have to believe me, believe him for example (pages 203 or 394 of the .pdf) ... and he's more trustworthy than all the mini-blogs-advices you can give me put together.

Oh yea, I love TweakGuides; been using him since UT2004. In the free guide (thanks!), pg393 talks about WEI, then states the Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT) is what actually tweaks HD/SSD settings. But it seems you still have to hand-tweak to get that score up to where it should be (7ish). Plus I can't find a listing on Google or any of my links that talks exactly what the WinSAT changes are or do.

My SSD manufacturer (Intel) has a toolbox that will help maintain my SSD, & I would guess other manufactures do also. I would not recommend to run WEI/WinSAT due to the mysterious changes it does. Might be better to ask here though: http://ssdtechnologyforum.com/

• 2 weeks later...