Reinventing the (Windows) Wheel (...Again)

BYTE-ME

Folks, it always happens like this: just when clean install utilities (nlite, WinToolkit, KUC) really mature and crush most of the bugs--that's when a new version of the Windows operating system appears. :welcome6ld: And right on cue we go back to our favorite fantasy: making the ultimate clean install disk to spare us the painfully long Windows re-installs. But this time, as Windows 8 looms, I'm urging you to stop this madness :doh: :

• Thou shall not attempt to supersize the Windows install media

...and cram every driver, addon, tweak and update onto the install media

• Thou shall not attempt to make Windows 7

...and try to slim down the install DVD to fit on a CD

...If these things exist, I have a bridge to sell you...

Edited by BYTE-ME

@BYTE-ME, the only point you made that I agree with is the second one regarding excessive OS slimming, but I'm sure there are legitimate situations where even that is useful - it's just not for 99.99999% of users. If you, or anyone, do not wish to use any particular tools to try to accomplish either of the other two tasks you mentioned, which, while still not for all users or for all situations, I personally feel are applicable for a larger group of users, then don't use them. There is no need to belittle anyone else for trying to achieve their goals, even if you feel they are misguided.

Cheers and Regards

Wow, I thought this might have been an interesting topic, guess i was wrong. stuff like this just clutters the forum. Anyhow I agree with bphlpt.

Byte-Me, I broke one your commandments, can I buy that bridge you have for sell :thumbsup_anim:

There is no need to belittle anyone else for trying to achieve their goals...
Edited by dotfusion

If the price is right, you sure can!! :dancing:

Nice bridge, too rich for my check book. Sorry No :sad01_anim: SALE! All I got for trade is this Re-invented windows Disc. :P

Hows the Windows 8 Learning curve coming along? I'll be having a look at Win 8 on release day. I figure for $14.95, why not. Edited by dotfusion

I hated it at first because of the lack of start menu but with ClassicShell I have made it perfect. I love Windows 8 now and won't go back to Windows 7.

I actually like Metro, if sorted properly (remove unneccessary shortcuts) then its very efficient. They just need a button in the bottom corner to get back to metro when it comes to normal home users.

@Legolash20

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to checking out the new Metro look, but i fear it's going to be a love-hate relationship for me too. The lack of the start menu, I think will be the big challenge for me. I suppose Classic shell will fix that.

Edited by dotfusion

Lego, the Win+key tricks don't do for you? Just asking, since I see you as a Winpro and (typically) pros use keyboard :)

I'm downloading the Win8 Enterprise Trial to see how much I can play with it before I'll adopt it as my main OS. Already played with it in the past but stopped right after my Consumer Preview went dead on me (nothing worked, could not even get into the Safe Mode options).

Hopefully, with 8 being released days ago, there will be much more 8-focused threads on this forum :)

• 3 months later...

hmm... I wonder if I keep browsing topics on this site, maybe I can find even more inane post than this one ?  :shifty:

or perhaps not.

I suppose everyone has an opinion, and a need to be heard....  but, as for myself... time is precious.

so perhaps I need to pay more attention to the titles, for more Focused content.

I'm so overloaded, I feel like "the walking dead"...

(WORK, SCHOOL, sleep... WORK, SCHOOL, sleep... WORK, SCHOOL, sleep... :type: )