The Little Things v2

Legolash2o

Hey guys it's time for the next round of 'The Little Things' thread. Most of you will know what this thread is for, if you don't then read below.

This thread is NOT for:

• Requests
  • Bugs

This thread is FOR:

• Spelling mistakes
  • General feedback
  • GUI mistakes or glitches, i.e. progress bar is full when it shouldn't be or things that don't look right
  • Small suggestions
  • Tweaks which don't work correctly
  • Tiny suggestions of how something can be tweaked slightly to work or look better.

NOTE: If you have already made a topic about a bug and it's not fixed yet, then give it a 'bump'.

Posts which have been sorted, fixed, implemented, etc.. will have a strikethough to show that they've been done.

What I find missing is the meaning of the color code (Green, yellow, red)?

Perhaps you could add legend to make it more meaningful.

I wonder if someone "select all the green items" for removal, it won't break the install? since Green is "safe to remove".

QeHT8.png

I'm not sure if I want to make it default to Program Files. If anyone else agrees, then sure.

Actually not an best idea, as x64 windows has two Program Files variables so making one of those default isnt really a good choice... ;)

Actually not an best idea, as x64 windows has two Program Files variables so making one of those default isnt really a good choice... ;)

Perhaps we can look at it like this.

If os-arch is x86, then as per my suggestion

If os-arch is x64, then default to %systemdrive% (so that user can decide further which folder they want to work with)

The main idea is to put a commonly-used default folder path where user is most likely to use it most of the time when creating program addon.

By putting a default folder path will still enable user to change if they wish to. I am not suggesting fixing the location without the ability to change by the user.

If any x64 user has different opinion of the location, then give feedback.

Regards

Its not so straightforward as %Programfiles% variable gets processed according to application archidecture, which calls it.

As W7Toolkit is 32-bit application it would point to wrong location, always to Program Files(x86) ;)

%ProgramFiles%

This variable points to Program Files directory, which stores all the installed program of Windows and others. The default on English-language systems is C:\Program Files. In 64-bit editions of Windows (XP, 2003, Vista), there are also %ProgramFiles(x86)% which defaults to C:\Program Files (x86) and %ProgramW6432% which defaults to C:\Program Files. The %ProgramFiles% itself depends on whether the process requesting the environment variable is itself 32-bit or 64-bit (this is caused by Windows-on-Windows 64-bit redirection).

Actually I dont see any reason, why it needs default setting at all, as it heavily depends on archidecture, application and what you actually are trying to create...

Edited by Etz

Its not so straightforward as %Programfiles% variable gets processed according to application archidecture, which calls it.

As W7Toolkit is 32-bit application it would point to wrong location, always to Program Files(x86)

Okay, if x64 is so complicated, just default to %systemdrive% as I suggested earlier.

Alternatively, don't change anything for x64. Just change for x86 first.

Rather than leaving it status quo, frankly, I see no harm implementing it first.

If there is any adverse effect, we can always revert back.

Actually I dont see any reason, why it needs default setting at all, as it heavily depends on archidecture, application and what you actually are trying to create...

Again said earlier, the main idea is to put a commonly-used default folder path where user is most likely to use it most of the time when creating program addon. It's all about improving productivity. (E.g Currently if it takes 10 clicks to do a specific task, but now I only need 9 clicks to do the same task. You save 1 click per task.)

Win Toolkit is 'AnyCPU' it detects x64 folders just fine. I will most likely do the method where the user can select the default folder within the 'Options' form. If that fails then it will open the folder the user opened last. Either method is fine.

Two small issues in test 10 beta of Win Toolkit 1.5.0:

1. Still the Ene cardreader x86 driver shows up yellow in Driver Installer Tool. You can see a screenshot here, and you can get the x86 5.89.0.71 driver from here.

2. I think the new transparency ''feature'' is quite transparent in certain cases. For example see here - the on-top Apply Unattended window is more transparent than probably intended.

1. Because it says 'Designed for Unknown', the inf file does not contain any information which says if its for Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8. It will work exactly the same if you ignore the yellow.

2. It's not a new feature, i just fixed a few issues with it. I will have a look though :).

UPDATE: The reason why those forms are transparent is because they was set at 80% opacity for some strange reason, correcting that now.

Ok, great! :)

Also, more of a question: if I remember correctly, wasn't supposed Driver Installer Tool to detect the x86/x64 architecture of the system, and then hide the inadequate drivers (for example hide the x64 drivers on a x86 system) aka stopping them from beeing installed? Now x64 drivers are added to the list (haven't tried to install them), with no warnings (red bar or smth) on a x86 system...

Ok, great! :)

Also, more of a question: if I remember correctly, wasn't supposed Driver Installer Tool to detect the x86/x64 architecture of the system, and then hide the inadequate drivers (for example hide the x64 drivers on a x86 system) aka stopping them from beeing installed? Now x64 drivers are added to the list (haven't tried to install them), with no warnings (red bar or smth) on a x86 system...

Fixed, thanks.

Just made a x64 image with drivers, updates, addons, silent installers, tweaks, unattended, and everything is as advertised! :D So build 10 (except the small things above) is just GREAT, nothing wrong in VM, a little faster and also no more pop-up screens about smth needing to restart windows during first logon, probably you can consider the next build final (if you don't make other big changes to it).

I'm also going to test the next build (probably tommorow), as I also want to make another x86 image and re-install it on my main machine. :)

Also, another small improvement - please add a warning in the first logon screen (the one that has Win Toolkit by Legolash2o), smth like ''Please be patient - some programs may take longer to install. For example .Net Framework 4 (or 4.5) can take more than 5 minutes on some configurations. Also, it's recommended to restart the pc after everything is installed and you can access the desktop''.

I heard that some friends of a friend of mine became very anxious during .net install process (they even thought the installer is corrupted, although no error sign was displayed), turned off the pc, then of course had .net errors etc etc. So this kind of idiot-proof warning, although it may seem useless for the vast majority of users (and especially for advanced users that browse wincert), can be very useful for some. :)