No SP2 for Windows 7

RicaNeaga

Things are getting almost official, and the rumours are intensifying. Read more here - Microsoft has no plans for a second Windows 7 Service Pack.

Sources close to Microsoft's sustained engineering team, which builds and releases service packs, have told The Register there are no plans for a second Windows 7 SP – breaking precedent on the normal cycle of updating Windows.

Instead, Microsoft will keep updating Windows 7 using patches released each month until support for Windows 7 comes to an end. That date is currently slated for 24 months after the most current SP – that’s SP1, which was released in February 2011

Service packs are a pain for Microsoft, because they divert engineers’ time and budget from building new versions of Windows. In this case, the anticipation for Windows 7’s SP2 comes around the same time as the launch of Windows 8, out later this week. Also, by ending SPs, Microsoft could be pushing customers towards the completely new Windows 8.

It's a pity / shamefully Microsoft has this strategy. However upgrade prices are the lowest in Microsoft history - see here - 40$ for upgrading from XP, Vista and 7, and also 15$ for PCs bought with 7 after june 2012.

Serious question because I'm no expert when it comes to this: how hard it is to collect all post-SP1 updates and cram them into one single .exe? Assuming for each update there has to be a line of code stating what it is and where it should be installed. And since we have well over 400 updates, that does not sound like a small job (however if a team of enthusiasts gets together and each does 50 or so updates, it's probably doable).

Serious question because I'm no expert when it comes to this: how hard it is to collect all post-SP1 updates and cram them into one single .exe? Assuming for each update there has to be a line of code stating what it is and where it should be installed. And since we have well over 400 updates, that does not sound like a small job (however if a team of enthusiasts gets together and each does 50 or so updates, it's probably doable).

Quite easily, if you know how :) The longest part will be creating a nice new GUI.

UPDATE: See just done it within 30 mins :)

post-10183-0-57927500-1351377065_thumb.p

Could this, (turning all selected updates into a Rollup Pack), be a feature that could be added to Win Toolkit? Just wondering.

Cheers and Regards

One of the best options to add to the toolkit.I think somebody should post this in the requests section

Quite easily, if you know how :) The longest part will be creating a nice new GUI.

UPDATE: See just done it within 30 mins :)

post-10183-0-57927500-1351377065_thumb.p

I don't think a lot of people would complain if the whole thing ran through command line :) As long as it installs with no problem, I don't see why.

Get me right, I'm not asking you to actually do the pack, I'm just curious about how-to's. Will Google this subject a bit. By the way, all the files crammed in, do they have to be MSU or can they be CABs (since the later ones take less space)?

Just read the Win 7 Updated ISO thread and realized this would not be legal because hotfixes (= code) require copyright permission. Consider my idea void.

Edit2 - Wait a minute, don't the servers hosting post-SP1 updates (under Update Catalog) fall into the same "trap"? Do they (ie McRip) have MS' "permission" to "share" these updates? :|

Edited by monkee

As long as it's downloading the updates from the catalog and not shipping them directly with the tool, it's fine. If you redistribute in any way (other than just a tool to download them for yourself), that's where you go into copyright and redist problems.

Edited by cluberti