Win 7 Updated ISO.

Legolash2o

NIM and I are currently in discussion so that we can host an updated Windows 7 SP1 iso onto the Wincert server to save you from integrating everything every so often.

However it will only be available to people who donate to Wincert (bandwidth limits, costs, etc...) . I'll keep you all posted.

P.S. The iso would be updated monthly (probably patch tuesday).

What about it? It's available online anyway (http://www.wincert.n...p1-refresh-iso/), it'll be the same download but with all of the updates integrated for that month. The only reason we want it to be for subscribers only is so that every user in the world can download it and then crash the server.

If Microsoft want us to simply remove it then we will gladly comply but Microsoft should provide an updates ISO anyway.

Yes, but those msdn isos are hosted by Microsoft servers (digitalriver), and not third-party servers. You only link to them.

In this case you take a Microsoft product, repack it, and re-distribute it. I'm lazy when it comes to reading EULA, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft won't agree with it.

On the other hand, I hope they won't find out :D

It's something we are discussing and ofcourse I will read the EULA but again if Microsoft request for us to remove it then we will. NIM is going to be contacting one of his Microsoft friends regarding this.

It's not for profit so it should be OK. It would help pay server costs but if any extra is made, it could be given to a charity or whatever.

In this case you take a Microsoft product, repack it, and re-distribute it.

Actually modify it, repack it, and re-distribute it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. It's what Microsoft SHOULD do monthly. But they don't, since they have many people in management positions with an acute lack of vision. Apple's success of putting the consumer first, at least when it comes to the software ''experience'', sadly doesn't mean anything to Microsoft.

Yeah it's a shame they don't but as I said. I will read the eula when I get back from my spin class and NIM has already sent a message to one of his Microsoft friends.

Microsoft isn't going to release SP2, so what other choice do we have. We will be helping Microsoft and business make sure they are installing a fully upto date operating system. No other modifications will be made to the disks apart from integrating updates and merging x64 and x86 into one ISO. No removals, no additional drivers, tweaks, etc, etc...

http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Windows%207_Ultimate_English_6b5dbb25-2871-4073-904d-9f2d3a9a0497.pdf

I've just read it and it says nothing about redistributing it. The closest thing it says is that i can't give out a serial key, which i wont do anyway. If someone asks, then I will ban them!

I am a avid supporter of Microsoft for many reasons BUT I said it before and I will say it again: MS should be ashamed of themselves for not having an updated SP or ISO... I will definitely support WINCERT if this happens... and frankly I need to support you regardless of this and I will make sure I get this done shortly!!!

Why would it be ilegal! it free to download anyway the updates are free, and the released iso' (updated) would also be a

Securty Issue benifit as well with all the latest Securty updates for that time period!

If wincert do this ill certanly contribute, once i sell the wife to the highest bidder.

Its a fantastic idea! The only other thing is what options wll we have regarding who we download from!

Best o luck on this!

h one other thing, f this is for sbscribers only, how can every user in the world download it! To quote

"The only reason we want it to be for subscribers only is so that every user in the world can download it and then

crash the server."

Edited by Muffy

Unfortunately, my good friend from Microsoft contacted me and said the following:

No, that would not be legal. You would need Microsoft’s copyright blessing to host Microsoft code for download. That’s what copyright is - a right to copy or host a copy of something that is protected by copyright. I notice folks on that thread don’t obviously grasp that. Of note, Microsoft DOES host an updates ISO every month: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

If you were to host a Windows 7 ISO, I can guarantee that you’ll get a DMCA takedown notice.

Of note, the reason digital river hosts ISOs is because they DO have copyright permission from Microsoft to do so (as they sell Windows 7 digital downloads, and must obviously have the right to redistribute a copy (hence, they have a “right to copy” - copyright).

It’s amazing how many people just don’t get it.

Please don’t be one of those people - Microsoft’s lawyers are pretty nasty.

-----

Therefore, since we are walking on the DMCA edge here, I'll have to say NO, preventing the forum shutdown notice.

yeah this wont be legal sadly. Also thats extremely bad news on SP2 what are microsoft thinking they seem to have completely lost it on the mobile market quest. I think there will be an SP2 eventually they will just get too much stick from the business customers.

I'm one of the ones that "gets it", even though I don't like it. But your friend doesn't "get it" either:

--< snip >--

Of note, Microsoft DOES host an updates ISO every month: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

--< snip >--

That is an updates ISO, while Lego was proposing an updated ISO, a very huge difference in storage space and install time requirements. As I said, I fully understand the legal aspects, so I know it probably won't ever be done here, but I definitely hope it will eventually be done legally by someone somewhere since this problem of a an ever growing list of updates to integrate/install for Win 7 is only going to continue to get worse.

Cheers and Regards

On bittorrent there are plenty updated iso's to be found.

The only problem is you are not always sure what was the source, and what was altered/added. And of course often cracks are included, what makes them easily illegal to begin with.

If somehow a monthly updated iso was to be found on the torrent network, which would be recognisable to be created with the use of the work and tools of the guys we admire here, the problem would be solved?

Wouldn't it?

No because it couldn't be told about here.

I'm not from the USA, so I'm just curious how strict behaviour should be here so not to cause the possibility of legal troubles.

A slightly different example:

Suppose me, or any other forum user would enthousistically mention he just spotted the new .... album from the band .... released by .... on the torrent network. Maybe even mentioning the exact filename.

Besides this would be very off-topic ;-) , could that already be a possible cause for problems?

(in my country only uploading is illegal, so this would not be a problem at all)

Also free speech is (or should be) protected in all civilized countries?

(feel free to erase my messages if even talking about this is tricky)

Naw we can talk about it all we want.

While I agree that (In some countries it is questionably illegal or legal) These are the issues at heart:

Even though free speech allows you to say what you want you cannot yell FIRE in a crowded building. This is like that. Even though you are only saying the exact file name for easy searching it is considered spreading and supporting warez.

I don't know where you come from but free speech shouldn't be a lame cover for anything illegal or offensive (Like yelling racial insults at people.) Would you go and tell a woman in front of others that rape is OK or she deserved to be raped? (That decides civilized countries)

We have a pretty strict rule on warez.

I'm one of the ones that "gets it", even though I don't like it. But your friend doesn't "get it" either:

That is an updates ISO, while Lego was proposing an updated ISO, a very huge difference in storage space and install time requirements. As I said, I fully understand the legal aspects, so I know it probably won't ever be done here, but I definitely hope it will eventually be done legally by someone somewhere since this problem of a an ever growing list of updates to integrate/install for Win 7 is only going to continue to get worse.

Cheers and Regards

I am the friend, and I assure you I get it. Hosting Microsoft code (whether that be Windows 7 ISOs, hotfixes, downloadable content, etc) would indeed not be legal. However, the reason I pointed out the updates ISO is because it's not that difficult to integrate updates yourself into your own code and recreate your own "updated" ISO.

Oh, Hey cluberti!, i definitely recognize you from MSFN, as I assume you do me? :) No offense was meant my friend.

What you say is most definitely true and very applicable for Enterprise, small businesses, and even home users with multiple computers to keep updated. While folks think about using the Updates ISO for the first two, those are its intended target users I believe, people probably don't think about the third group being able to use it as well. Thanks for the reminder. For those with just one or two computers, an updated ISO would be much more convenient and less prone to error for less experienced users. Otherwise, just using a tool like Win Toolkit is an easier option.

Cheers and Regards

Would it not be easier (legally) to just create a utility (batch script, vbs script, java script, .NET, or whatever) to extract the contents of a Win7.iso (w/SP1) to a working folder, then extract the Win7 updates from the other .iso (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086) and use DISM to integrate the updates into each image and effectively rebuild the original into an updated "vanilla" Win7.iso?

I'm not talking about Win7Toolkit (which is infinitely more versatile!) but something super-simple that a user can download both .iso files, run the script, then 2 hours later be presented with a vanilla Win7 updated disc?

I've already done something similar for a company (code protected by NDA or I'd release it here) and the entire codebase is less than 1000 lines.

My early work from last year is here: http://forum.driverp...pic.php?id=5199

Just another line-of-attack to achieve the same result. ;)

Edited by Mr_Smartepants