Updates LDR - QFE Mode Options

yogurt

just three questions regarding the LDR Mode option in the AiO Integrator.

I have read thru this entire post, I understand the lingo for the most part, it's Just a little to advanced for me at this stage.

What i would like to know Is, if their is some sort of benefit to enabling the LDR-QFE option in AiO integrator.

I've read somewhere that LegoLash2o uses this option all the time. But I just don't understand why or it's purpose.

If I understand correctly the updates in the GDR branch are the most important ones, while the updates in the LDR branch are not so important and only apply to a small fraction of windows users.

1. Why would I want a bunch of updates that may not even apply to my configuration?

2. In what circumstances would I want to enable the LDR option in WinToolkit?

3. What are LDR placeholders?
Edited by dotfusion

LDR branch - kind of a beta branch for Microsoft updates. GDR - stable branch. Almost all updates have both beta branches and GDR branches, and many updates contain the needed fix for the problem ONLY on the LDR branch (so not fully tested in all kind of circumstances).

If you want to be on the VERY safe side, but not fully-patched for all the issues there are KBs out, just stick to GDR branch. If you want to be on the ~ safe side, and also want the fixes for ALL problems Microsoft put out a KB for, you can choose LDR branch. Although I've never heard of people complaining about the LDR branch, I prefer to be on the very safe side, aka GDR.

Integrating through DISM is a little faster via LDR branch. And LDR placeholders are the folders needed to force the LDR branch on an online image (already installed windows), but forcing the LDR branch through Win Toolkit AIO options is enough, you don't need to integrate those.

@RicaNeaga

Thanks for a clear a concise reply. It's quickly all becoming clear as day. In terms of updates, frankly, I'd rather stay on the very safe side, aka GDR. Just to be sure I understand let me run this by you one time to be sure I understand before I integrate a bunch updates.

As I understand, With the LDR option disabled, any updates I integrate that have an LDR fix in the package will install the GDR component and drop a placeholder for future reference. The LDR placeholder is there to notify Windows Update Agent in the event that a new update comes out fhat contains a GDR fix to the LDR placeholder. Is that about right, or did I miss something?

I read a post yesterday where you are warning members not to integrate KB2685811 and KB2685813. Does your warning still apply with the current stable release of Win Toolkit?

Do you know how Win ToolKit handles updates like rvkroots.exe and KBXXXXX.reg? Can these types of files be integrated via Win Toolkit Updates tab or Installer tab?

Edited by dotfusion

I don't know what you're reffering to, LDR placeholders were folders (full of superseded updates) SoLoR used to force the LDR branch on online images (NOT through integration, but for already installed windows OSes on real hardware).

Yes, I do recommend NOT to install KB2685811 and KB2685813, because I'v had driver-related issues even with them installed in LDR mode (this was supposed to fix all potential issues).

Win Toolkit in its AIO tool won't install other updates than .msu and .cab files, so those you mentioned will be skipped. The only exception I think is the IE9 .exe installer, however I always use only the .msu IE9 installer.

About your confusion regarding how those files will be integrated, I already asked Lego to filter stuff from komm / McRip's servers, unfortunately although I think it's a very good idea to only show & load only the .msus and .cab files from their servers, I don't think he'll aprove, so I ''limited'' my request only to text and reg files.

Oh, and no, rkvroots cannot be integrated, you have to make it a silent installer, however it is an .exe, so unfortunately I don't think it can be filtered by Lego, so other ''beginners'' in using the Win Toolkit tool won't be so confused.

After several hours of reading, I think I finally finally understand the mechanics of updates and hotfixes. For anyone reading this thread, here are links to some very well written articles that may help you in understanding the complex mechanics of windows updates. Although the text is somewhat advanced, I recommend anyone who integrates updates to their offline image to give it a once over.I had to read them 3 times before It finally made sense to me.

GDR, QFE, LDR...WTH?

Later related blog entries (as the topic grew in its scope and version numbering/branch identification changed after Windows Server 2003)

Branching Out (2009-05-18)

- gives a generic overview of the branching mechanism, with examples

Service Packs – Levels vs Installers (2009-05-29)

- distinguishes between “service pack level” and “service pack installer” for disambiguation

GDR & LDR : The Next Generation (2010-07-14)

- describes how to verify the version/branch of a given binary on XP/2003, Vista/W2K8 and Win7/W2K8R2

Edited by dotfusion