[Howto] Integrate IE9-Windows7-x86-deu.exe with WT 1.5

foobuzz

Hi,

dunno if it's a bug or just plain user error:

I've tried several times to integrate IE9 into W7 Ultimate x86 SP1 ger. It's the german x86 version, 17.8 MB in size.

After W7 setup, IE9 hasn't been installed, the exe installer is in an "Update" folder on C\downloads (which is my IE's default download folder). Double-clicking on it the setup signifies "Online Downloading..." which is confusing as I thought I got the full setup, not just a web loader!

As WT is quite self explaining I can't imagine what went wrong.

Am I supposed to integrate english language IE9 only?

Any tipps? :tired:

You can get the full .MSU from McRips server here. You might want to grab the updates as well while your there. This IE installer can be integrated on the updates tab of Win Tool Kit 1.4.0.77 (Stable), you could also try with the beta. With respect to language, I'll leave that question open for someone who knows more about language pack integration. Hope this helps. Best Regards.

Edited by dotfusion

How I do it for cs-CZ Windows 7 Ultimate. Remove Internet Explorer 8 packages:

Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Optional-Package
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package

Then extract Internet Explorer 9 Instatller, to get MSU, extract IE9 MSU and get cab update. Do the same for language pack and integrate those two CAB and you will have clean install with these packages (Windows 7 Ultimate x64):

Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-LanguagePack~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~cs-CZ~9.4.8112.16421
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~9.4.8112.16421

@George King

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know it was possible to remove the IE8 packages prior to integrating IE9 without breaking the image. I was always under the impression that IE8 had to remain in image, even after integrating IE9.

Are you saying that I can swap out the IE8 packages for IE9 without any adverse effects and breaking the image?

Edited by dotfusion

Thanks for the replies.

I used a 1.5 beta version of WT and I'll try to reproduce what Thiersee and George King suggested.

Calling the executable setup with unattended parameters is also an option, but I'd like to integrate IE9 in install.wim, replacing IE8.

By the way, thank you very much, Liam, for your great project! :thumbsup:

Edited by foobuzz

Are you saying that I can swap out the IE8 packages for IE9 without any adverse effects and breaking the image?

Yes, its the best way to replace old IE8 with IE9 and maybe it could be possible with IE10. Removing IE8 packages cant affect the image because you integrate packages with same functions. Clear IE9 integration :)

P.S. my IE9-Windows7-x64-csy.exe integration is also ok.

• 2 weeks later...

@foobuz

I can confirm that it is safe to remove IE8 packages, providing you Integrate the IE9 packages to replace the removed IE8 packages. Windows 7 SP1 contains two packages for IE8. Jest take a look a George King's post #4 for the package names.

Also in my experience, You can leave the IE8 packages as they are and Integrate IE9 + updates packs with WT AiO integrator (DISM Tool) and the IE8 pacakges will be taken care of during integration. I prefer to remove the IE8 packages with DISM and then Integrate IE9.

Edited by dotfusion

Well, I struggle with dism, in my opinion it's a huge annoyance.

I tried the dism method first, integrated IE9 and lang pack -- and got a faulty image.wim (unmounting threw errors).

Dism really sucks (the latest setup error I got was due to dism as well: "exit code 5").

By the way, as IE10 is just around the corner:

Do you expect problems when trying to install IE10 later into a "IE9 optimized" Windows installation?

@foobuzz

WinToolkit uses DISM and ImageX for pretty much all of it's functions. I know the DISM command line tool can be picky and cumbersome at times, but I've grown used to it over time. I use the DISM commad line tool along side with Win Toolkit often. With respect to to the :: exit code :: error, If my memory serves me right, this error has something to do with permissions and user rights. One should run DISM in an Elevated Command Prompt.

As far as IE10 integration, it's diffucult to say for sure, but users should be able to integrate IE10 over IE9 or IE8. The same principles should hold true in either case, but thats just a theory for now.

Edited by dotfusion

With respect to to the :: exit code :: error, If my memory serves me right, this error has something to do with permissions and user rights. One should run DISM in an Elevated Command Prompt.

The InstantiateCBSUnattendPass: dism.exe returned with exit code 5. error was stated in the setupact.log (E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther) running a Windows 7 setup (in VMware) and if it's about permissions, it's Microsoft's case.

It is gone after removing the <servicing> section from the Autounattend.xml, which I did. But it's just a workaround.

Generally speaking, no big deal with the command line. Dism however is giving me a hard time since I first used it.

I am Administrator but why do I constantly receive errors when unmounting & committing images (error: 0xc1420117)?

(A dism /Cleanup-Wim made dism accept new mount commands, but seems to result in a broken install.wim.)

Is there any alternative to dism, maybe with GUI?

Update:

Thanks ianymaty and myselfidem.

Well, for the sake of completeness (knowing that it's half OT...) yet two screenshots of my broken unattended W7 Ultimate x64 setup.

The first one's "(Windows) could not apply unattended settings during pass [offline Servicing]" in English.

It is somewhat misleading, as it seems to have no relation to "[offline Servicing] ".

Edited by foobuzz

Error: 0xc1420117

The directory could not be completely unmounted. This is usually due to applications that still have files opened within the mount directory. Close these files and unmount again to complete the unmount process.

Maybe you can try this workaround:

http://www.wincert.n...age/#entry92374

Edited by myselfidem

Is there any alternative to dism, maybe with GUI?

You could try GDism. (Full disclosure - I have not tried this yet, but I've heard some good things about it.) It's still DISM, but it has a GUI front end added to it you might like better. If you try it, please let us know how it goes.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 weeks later...