Update Catalog Confusion v1.5

compstuff

After using my old folders with v1.5 and having files moved to the OLD directory I decided to start from scratch with no previous anything so here are my questions and observations before I make any comments:

I noticed their are folders in the additional items that are not included even as options to download... is this intentional?

Update changelog.txt file not available

no KB2728973-rvkroots.exe

no Integrate to installation media/KB2023591/

no KB890830.Microsoft.Windows.Malicious.Software.Removal.Tool/

no KB2506143.Windows.Management.Framework.3.0.CTP/

no KB2724074MicrosoftBitLockerAdministrationAndMonitoring/

no Silverlight/

no VPC/

Win Toolkit now scans only for .cab and .msu files, so only integratable files from komm / McRip servers. If you don't like this behaviour, you can leave a request, but it's better also to give reasons on why you want it.

My request (that Legolash thought to solve it in this manner) was to make Win Toolkit's Update Catalog more begginer-friendly. And I think it's very ok right now. Advanced users can make those exe files silent installers without checking each month for updates, or checking only for the ones they need. :)

In a way I can understand about the beginner friendly idea but I for one really don't like this. For me one of the strengths in the toolkit is the ability to be more of a "one stop" tool that gives everyone what they want. I would much prefer the ability to make a choice about downloading files and if needed have some info, popups, mouse overs etc regarding the need.

I'm not sure what you mean about not checking each month for updates or only for the ones that are needed... this stuff always changes and some items above change monthly so how exactly is one to easily check those and download those items... before the toolkit did it for me in one single shot and then I determined what changed and how to apply the items.

McRip and Komm do an unbelievable job but even with that its still a heck of a task to get all of this straight each month so for me this actually made things harder and not easier.

I just checked KUC's site manually and indeed no MSU/EXE/CAB are present, only the additional TXT and HTM files. Did M$ tell him to remove all those? Or are those not listed/hidden in order to reduce traffic? Because when running KUC I can still download needed updates.

Regards, Eric666

Edit: the effect is now that all material in the update repository is moved to the Old subfolder, leaving a blank x86/x64 Update folder...

Edited by Eric666

Yes, I read that thread, but I did not understand that Komm meant that he removed all updates, since he talked about zips. And KUC (Komm's Update Checker) was still able to download some updates for my system. But possibly those were obtained from some other location.

Regards, Eric666

The zip file he mentioned are two zip files which contain all the updates and hotfixes for 32 bit and 64 bit (like the 7z files in macrips servers http://hotfix2.cesidian.info/ )It cannot be downloaded by the toolkit, it can only be downloaded by going to the site.

Maybe KUC downloads the updates directly from Microsoft's severs.Its a lot faster than his site.

Edited by amaltom61

The zip file he mentioned are two zip files which contain all the updates and hotfixes for 32 bit and 64 bit (like the 7z files in macrips servers http://hotfix2.cesidian.info/ )It cannot be downloaded by the toolkit, it can only be downloaded by going to the site.

Maybe KUC downloads the updates directly from Microsoft's severs.Its a lot faster than his site.

OK, I finally understand. Still, also all exe/msu/cab have been removed from his site, which were previously there, and could be downloaded with WTK. I think your guess on KUC directly downloading from MS servers is probably right.

Regards, Eric666

In test 38, when the filter is disabled, McRip's servers still have it (only cab and msu are shown). Also, please take a look here.

Also, how about changing the description of the option with another sentence: ''The unfiltered results are useful for advanced users familiar with the contents of those servers''.

LE: That filter shows all the folders on those servers? My request was to hide some not integratable files, however advanced users may need those. This was also the request here, to show not only other files than .msu and .cab, but also to not block some folders. :)

Edited by RicaNeaga

I has been almost a week since KUC was down. Now Only Macrip's servers are up and running

The initila reason for the shutdown of the site was due to heavy traffic.

The heavy traffic maybe mostly caused by the win toolkit 1.5.01 users.So maybe its us who destroyed his site

I made Komm an offer to host his website for free for a month or two while he gets things sorted out with his current ISP, but I have yet to receive a response.

Komm, if your reading this, the offer still stands. Send me a PM if your interested and I'll setup an FTP account. Were talking about a server over at Hostgator or Rackspace. My current SLA reads unlimited bandwidth allowance. Of course I'll have to double check with my sales rep first to be sure. But let me know if your interested.