[Solved] Addon Maker Variable Directory Variable %ProgramFiles(x86)% Unexpected Behavior

yogurt

When creating an addon, and select Copy Folder to ..\%PROGRAMFILES(x86)% the integration of the addon results in creating a folder on the the system root of my hard disk as %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%/ClipName as oppose to the expected behavior of ..\Program Files (x86)\ClipName I've attached the resulting tasks.txt for review.

Name=ClipName Shell Extension
Creator=dotfusion
Version=1.3.0
Arc=x64
Description=ClipName is a small utility which sits inside your Send To menu. It lets you copy the full pathname of selected files to the clipboard, allowing you to paste their names into other documents and applications as necessary.
Website=http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/aboutpljsoft.htm

[CopyFolder]
ClipName Shell Extension::%PROGRAMFILES(X86)% ; <= this should read Program Files (X86)

Edited by dotfusion

For what it's worth, since that environment variable is only valid on a 64bit system, it seems that it is acting as is it doesn't realize that it is on a 64bit system, assuming that it is in fact on a 64bit system. But then if you are on a 64bit system, why are you trying to put in in the x86 Program files folder? is the app only a 32 bit app? Sorry for barging in, but I was curious.

Cheers and Regards

For what it's worth, since that environment variable is only valid on a 64bit system, it seems that it is acting as is it doesn't realize that it is on a 64bit system, assuming that it is in fact on a 64bit system.

Hence the title of this post.

But then if you are on a 64bit system, why are you trying to put in in the x86 Program files folder

Because that's where 32-bit apps go on 64-bit Windows 7 System.

is the app only a 32 bit app?

The app is 32-bit. None-the-less. When creating an AddOn The AddOn maker doesn't differentiate between system architectures. In Win Toolkit a user could create a 64-bit addon on a 32-bit system. The only time I would think this behavior would occur is if a 64-bit AddOn is integrated in a 32-bit system. Unless I'm not understanding something on how the AddOn Maker tool works.

Edited by dotfusion

When creating an addon, and select Copy Folder to ..\%PROGRAMFILES(x86)% the integration of the addon results in creating a folder on the the system root of my hard disk as %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%/ClipName

Yes, noticed that too, but postponed it to solve other problems...

I made a Firefox 16.0.2 add-on, being a 32 bit program for a x64 Windows system, the path was C:\%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Firefox.

:huh:

Btw, I used the latest stable WT 1.4.

Well. really it's no big deal, It's only a small matter of editing the tasks.txt file manually. Taking me an extra 30 seconds. I just wanted to bring it to Lego's attention. Maybe it's residual from a deprecated feature?

Also I've only just started to use the addon maker for simple tasks and I'm not all that familiar with all it's potential. So I may end-up just figuring out this odd behavior as I use it more more.

Edited by dotfusion

It seems the variables are not allowed in the file Tasks.txt. Don't use it inside.

Thanks for your insight, much appreciated. To be clear, I'm not adding the environment variable manually, the resulting Tasks.txt is being created by the actual addon maker tool. The %ProgramFiles(x86)% variable is selectable from within the tool itself.

en francais :: Pour être clair, je n'ai pas ajouter la variable d'environnement manuellement, le Tasks.txt résultante est créé par l'outil "addon creator" réelle. Le %ProgramFiles (x86)% variable peut être sélectionnée à partir de l'outil lui-même.

Edited by dotfusion

Yes dotfusion, I know that and I think it's needed to improve Addon Maker creating Tasks.txt files ! :)

We can read here about:

Addon Maker Issues

*Edit: And I have the same result (example):

Name=ImgBurn
Creator=myselfidem
Version=2.5.7.0
Arc=x86
Description=Create iso files.
[CopyFolder]
ImgBurn_2.5.7.0::%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%

Edited by myselfidem

@Legolash2o

I created this thread because my search queries were not producing any relevant results, however as you can see in Post #8 their is an existing thread for addon issues. You may want to move this thread to the Addon Issues topic posted here. Best regards.

EDIT :: Eureka! I've figgured out how the 'Program Files' variable workes when using the Addon Maker tool. If the addon is flaged x86 then and is integrated in an x64 system then using the %PROGRAMFILES% variable will copy files and folders to Program Files (x86). On a x86 (32-bit) system the same variable will copy files and folders to %PROGRAMFILES%. Seems a little strange but that how it behaves. Hope this helps those that are experiencing issues with this variable. Peace out.

Edited by dotfusion

Seems that the Addon Maker is just smarter than folks expected. :) The behavior makes sense when you think about it, but with most tools you have to do more of the "translation" manually, while in this case the Addon Maker takes care of it automatically. However, it should also handle the manual method, which both dotfusion and myselfidem tried above, better as well.

Cheers and Regards