[Help] Setup is unable to create a system partition when instaaled from UFD

yogurt

I'm trying to install Windows 7 SP1 x64 from USB. Windows boots from my USB stick. I select a language for the UI. Click on install. I select the unallocated space on the targer hard drive and setup fails

Setup is unable to create a system partions....

Heres the stange thing. When I try to install the image from DVD everything works like charm. The partions is created and windows installs 100%. Any insight would be much appreciated.

It doesnt matter if the drive is unallocated, formated, or marked active. I've tried every which way under the sun. I've tried changing the order of boot devices, still no change. I've changed the drive mode in the BIOS from ACHI to IDE, still no change. I dont think windows 7 requires any boot critical drivers because setup sees and offers the drive as a prospect for installation, it just wont create the partition when I try to install from USB.

Heres the stange thing. When I try to install the image from DVD everything works like charm. The partions is created and windows installs 100%. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Edited by dotfusion

@ianymaty

I've tried this method aswell, I thught it had some promise, but no luck.

I've tried with M$ Windows7 USB / DVD Tool - No luck

Trying Rufus now.

It's the strangest thing. The same image will boot and install from DVD but Not from USB. It's almost as if when I try to install from USB setup gets confused about partitioning. I'ts probly something real simple, I'm stumped.

I've tried WinSetupFromUSB with default and advanced options with no luck. I'm not familiar with WinNTSetup. I realy dont think it's the formating tool that I'm using, I'm almost certain it has something to do with the boot order and AHCI bus, I just cant put my finger on it.

I think I'm just going burn the image a Dual Layer DVD. Installing from DVD works flawlessly.

I remember once faced a similar problem.

What I did was as I remember: Deleted all the partitions so you have the hard disc all unallocated space don't do anything other than this in the first step than cancel the setup, let the system reboot and start again the setup this time do the steps required without making partitions just select the Unallocated space and hit Next.

The order in BIOS should be Boot priority set to USB Storage media and First boot device the same USB Storage media. After the first stage of the files copy to system hard disc and reboot change the order of boot to HDD-0 for both.

You can split the hard disc to more partitions after all is finished.

Hope that helps you too.

ianymaty, Thanks for your insight. I have previously tried your recomendations prior to your post. As I previouly indicated, I dont think the problem is with weather the disc is unallocated or not, or the BIOS boot order. The DVD method works flawlessly weather or not the drive is partioned prior to installation. Also the DVD method works flawlessly no matter of the BIOS boot order.

I beleive I have found the problem to lie with the way Windows PE reads Removable 'bit' on my UFD. I believe if i toggle the removable 'bit' partion on my UFD and the partion, make it bootable, and tradsfer the boot-sector. I will be able to sucessfuly install windows 7 from my UFD. I will share my findings when I test my theory this weekend.

Edited by dotfusion