How to put files in "Documents"?

vthand

The folder "My Documents" (or Mes Documents) will be not generated during install, only after the first log-on!

So you have to put a command in the AutoUnattend.xml (if you use one), that executes after the first log-on.

Same happened to me as I wanted to put files in program folders of programs I installed as "Silent Installers-SFX.

Thanks to all.

Il will try tomorrow morning.

I've tried many things like :

%userprofile%\Mes documents\test.doc and (%userprofile%\"Mes documents"\test.doc).

The only thing who worked was : %SystemDrive%\Installation\test.doc ( The folder "Installation" is created).

Good night?

The only thing who worked was : %SystemDrive%\Installation\test.doc ( The folder "Installation" is created).

If this works, then try what I said in my 1st post and specify the complete path:

%SystemDrive%\User\My Documents\test.doc or

%SystemDrive%\<user in french>\Mes documents"\test.doc.

Thiersee

Good morning (?)

So...

test1

http://dl.free.fr/q6nawW5IU

Result 1

http://dl.free.fr/tK9QAKooo

The file test.txt is in the 2 folders: Administrateur and My documents, but not in the Documents of the user nedd during installation (Vincent). If i try "Administateur" during the installation, it's not allowed.

I think Thiersee has right "will be not generated during install, only after the first log-on!" and it's impossible to put file into during install.

I think %userprofile% make same result.

When the image is mounted your account doesn't exist!

But you can try:

Copy to: %SystemDrive%\Users\Vincent\Mes documents\test.doc

The User: "Vincent" will be created and the file test.doc will be copied...

But I don't know if this will be overwrited during silent installation. Not tested!

Edited by myselfidem

Hello,

1)Links are working for me ???

2)I'll try %USERPROFILE%\Documents\test.doc but i know result: test.doc in "users" and not in Vincent\Documents ...

3)I think i've tried %SystemDrive%\Users\Vincent\Mes documents\test.doc

and the result ave been : test.doc in Vincent.000\Mes documents !!!

4)What is the format allowed for the image in this forum. I've tried .jpg and .png and it does'nt work.

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\test.doc

What is the format allowed for the image in this forum. I've tried .jpg and .png and it does'nt work.

Using %userprofile% path doesn't work and the folder %userprofile% will be copied inside WinToolkit140-77

You can use gif files format to post images inside the forum. Thanks.

Sorry, i can't post image

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." I use gif...

1)test with

http://dl.free.fr/deceGTle0

2)Results

http://dl.free.fr/rhMDFzZZU

A folder %userprofile% has been created, with Documents\test.doc inside...

and test.doc is also in Vincent\Mes documents

but the default user is now ... Vincent.Vincent-PC

I think that i will put the files in Users\Vincent and move them after the first login.

Thanks (thanx ?) to all

Vincent.

Strange about adding images, because I can attach jpg, PNG and gif images format.

Maybe you need to check the size for downloading the images (150K max.) using full editor or more options and select an image on your computer?

Of course, don't change manually the extension format!

post-23163-0-82763600-1352482725_thumb.g

Edited by myselfidem

Today I tried to install a file as you want and found out, it seems to be NOT possible.

I had this line in the .INI

%SystemDrive%\Users\Filetest\xyz.jpg (Users ist right, NOT simply User, for french or other languages too!) and

I let the AutoUnattend.xml generate a user Filetest.

I integrated on a fresh W7 SP1 and installed on a VM; after installation under "Benutzer" (german for "user") I got a folder "Filelist" with the file xyz.jpg in it.

I logged out from Admin and logged in "Filelist": under "Benutzer" was the folder with the file and another folder Filelist.<computername>

What does it mean all this?

You can not put a file in an userprofile-folder in this way, I think you have to put it manually after the first login on this specific user.

What does it mean all this?

You can not put a file in an userprofile-folder in this way, I think you have to put it manually after the first login on this specific user.

This is now demonstrated. Thanks Thiersee and vthand for your tests!

Edited by myselfidem

A way that might work is if you have the user's Documents folder be relocated to somewhere outside the normal profile location, say "D:\Docs". Then you can preload whatever you want to in there and you will also not have to worry about extraneous "Vincent.000" type folders being created in the Profiles folder. I do this all the time, (relocate the various user's folders), so that the data survives an OS reinstall. Just another way to skin the cat.

Cheers and Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I run a batch file separately to the WinToolkit for dropping folders into the "system" so that are in there when I first boot. I use these for customised icon files (,dll), personal files etc.

I make a "path" of folders to drop in, e.g. Users Folder > Elmer B. Fuddled Folder > Elmers Docs folder. or Windows Folder > System32 Folder > AALMER.

When I drop these in the extracted image folder I get asked "This folder already exists..." etc. and I just answer "Yes to All". The final or base folder and its contents are then in the right place for when I first log in.

The batch file runs a clean up (just in case!) then opens each image one at a time and pauses for you to drop your files and folders in.

At the end it will run the clean up again. The clean up consists of discarding anything, which shouldn't happen unless you close the command window in error (been there, done that!) and also runs a reg file to remove the registry entry.

Obviously if you've not cocked up at all you won't even know the clean up attempt has taken place. Also, until you cock up the WIM_Deafault key isn't there (it may be while the bat file is running, never checked it out!!).

You'll need to change the file paths in the bat file, these are my paths!!

Wim Corrupt - Delete.reg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-xx- Insert your user path here. \WIM_Default]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slip Folders.bat

@echo off
REM E:\WINSLIP\IE9-Windows7-x64-enu.exe /x:E:\WINSLIP\IE9Win7x64ENU
color 4F
Dism /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:E:\WINSLIP\Mount /discard
Regedit /s "E:\WINSLIP\WIM Corrupt - Delete.reg"
color 1F
cls
Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"E:\WINSLIP\install.wim" /index:1 /MountDir:E:\WINSLIP\Mount
cls
echo.
echo.
color 2F
echo.
echo.
echo THIS IS IMAGE INDEX 1, HOME BASIC.
echo.
echo. ADD ANY FOLDERS AND FILES NOW!!
echo.
echo.
pause
cls
color 1F
Dism /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:E:\WINSLIP\Mount /Commit

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"E:\WINSLIP\install.wim" /index:2 /MountDir:E:\WINSLIP\Mount
cls
echo.
echo.
color 2F
echo.
echo.
echo THIS IS IMAGE INDEX 2, HOME PREMIUM.
echo.
echo ADD ANY FOLDERS AND FILES NOW!!
echo.
echo.
Pause
cls
color 1F

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"E:\WINSLIP\install.wim" /index:3 /MountDir:E:\WINSLIP\Mount
cls
echo.
echo.
color 2F
echo.
echo.
echo THIS IS IMAGE INDEX 3, PROFESSIONAL.
echo.
echo.
echo.
Pause
cls
color 1F

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"E:\WINSLIP\install.wim" /index:4 /MountDir:E:\WINSLIP\Mount
cls
echo.
echo.
color 2F
echo.
echo.
echo THIS IS IMAGE INDEX 4, ULTIMATE.
echo.
echo.
echo.
Pause