Update target editions.

ricktendo

You know someting that could work lego, you could integrate the updates into the lowest sku and export it many times and then use dism to convert the next higher "target edition" (same way method used to turn Windows 8 Pro to ProfessionalWMC)

Integrate the updates into Starter (for x86 iso's) or into Home Basic (for x64,) then you export it multipple times, mount each image and covert & rename them

BTW off topic but you should see this new feature in Windows 8, its very, very cool you should find a way of adding this command to your tool

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/153742-dism-improvements-in-windows-8/page__view__findpost__p__1015509

That completely depends on if you decide to 'Rebuild' the image or not.

okay. but doesn't Win Toolkit rebuild the image at the end of every Win Toolkit AiO integrator sessions anyhow. Please excuse my ignorance but what other methods could one use to rebuild the image?

@riktendo64

Sounds interesting. On the surface what your proposing sounds do-able. :g:

You know someting that could work lego, you could integrate the updates into the lowest sku and export it many times and then use dism to convert the next higher "target edition" (same way method used to turn Windows 8 Pro to ProfessionalWMC)

Integrate the updates into Starter (for x86 iso's) or into Home Basic (for x64,) then you export it multipple times, mount each image and covert & rename them

BTW off topic but you should see this new feature in Windows 8, its very, very cool you should find a way of adding this command to your tool

http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1015509

But wouldn't the 'upgraded' sku be missing features? For example if I did all the work on Starter and then turned it into 'Ultimate', surely some of the stuff which comes with Ultimate will be missing?

Thanks for the link, however that command only works with the '/online' command and not '/image:[MountPath]' :(

No, every version of Windows has all the necessary the files in the winsxs folder, this is why you can integrate ALL updates into any sku, the files are waiting there for you in case you ever upgrade your edition with anytime upgrade

Use /Get-TargetEditions on a mounted image and it will let you know what versions it can be upgraded to, here is starter:

Editions that can be upgraded to:

Target Edition : Ultimate
Target Edition : Professional
Target Edition : HomePremium
Target Edition : HomeBasic

I would put a checkmark/warning somewhere (this will save time and detect & update the lowest and delete/replace the highest sku's,) then use imagex to detect the lowest edition in the wim, update it, see what editions it can be upgraded as, commit changes, export it as many times that are necessary (maybe also have a checkbox to what editions you want it to (re)create,) mount/change edition/commit/rename/re-flag all the images

Or maybe put a thing in settings, where when you select the wim it will not ask you what image you want to update instead it will give you a popup warning saying that only the lowest will be updated and the highest will be recreated (also give an option what versions to rebuild)

Wow, sounds like quite a work load for a free tool. I had a no idea when I started this thread it would would stir up all this interest. Although it would be really cool if WT could Mirror the integrations in one edition to the next, I fear that this may cause more trouble than whats it's worth.

I'm not a VB/C++ programmer, but it sounds like trying to re-invent the DISM and IMAGEX wheel in this fashion is simply not viable, but like I said, I'm not a programmer, nor I'm am familiar with all the potential of DISM and IMAGEX. In essence I dont think it's in the nature of these tools to do the things such as the ones suggested in this post. Anyways I jut wanted to add my 2 bits. I'm going to continue to follow this interesting thread for as long as it lives.

Keep up the good work Liam. :prop:

• 2 months later...

I look forward to seeing the idea making it into a future release of Win Toolkit. Still, Many thanks for keeping Win Toolkit up2date.

Oh i haven't put it in WIn Toolkit (yet), i was just testing the idea out manually and it works great :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If search you will find the command for turning windows 8 pro to pro with mce, just change it a bit (I do not have access to my second hdd at the moment)

Mount and update your lowest SKU

Export it and give it a new name/description as many times as needed. (the final export, dont need to rename it because it will stay this edition)

Now you need to go mount and change the edition to all the exported/renamed images (one by one)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...