[Question] How to Split a Windows Image (.swm) File to Span Across Multiple DVDs or CDs?

yogurt

Is it posible to split a WIM image that conatains Addons and Silent installers without breaking the installation of the Silent Installers during RunOnceEx (FIrst desktop load)?

I know I could install from UFD and not have to split my image, but that's not working for me right now. See this post.

Edited by dotfusion

Thanks for your insguht mooms, I've tried with M$ Windows7 USB / DVD Tool - No luck

I've tried this method - No Luck

It's the strangest thing. The same image will boot and install from DVD but Not from USB. It's almost as if when I try to install from USB setup gets confused about partitioning. It's probly something real simple, I'm stumped.

Edited by dotfusion

Thanks again, but i dont think I'm going to be able to USB intall to work. I've familiar with both rufus and WinSetupFromUSB. I've tried both tools with the advanced options and still no luck. I something real simple i'm sure. I just cant put my finger on it.

Edited by dotfusion

Thanks for all your insight. Anyone want to take a stab at my original question from Post #1

Is it posible to split a WIM image that conatains Addons and Silent installers without breaking the installation of the Silent Installers during RunOnceEx (FIrst desktop load)?

Edited by dotfusion

I don't know the answer to your question, but there is yet another option if you can't get the USB method to work and you are only able to use DVD installs and you don't want to go the DL route. You could split your installs into two parts - OS only, with maybe only a few critical apps and drivers, then the rest of the apps using WPI or whatever other method you prefer. The two parts could each be on their own medium so should each fit on a DVD, and this might add more flexibility and convenience for you both for installation and for maintenance. Just a thought.

Cheers and Regards

Interesting approach. Sounds perfectly sound. Windows Toolkit doesnt copy the apps folder over to the target drive like WPI. With Win Toolkit the Apps / Installers folder is executed from the install media. As with WPI the installers are copied over to the target drive prior to executing the installers. It would be nice if Windows Toolkitcould do the same. This would allow for users to span their install.wim over multiple DVD's / CD's.

Edited by dotfusion

• 2 weeks later...

JoJo, thanks for the tip. That's not the problem nor the subject matter of this topic. Please no off topic replies. I'll restate the question for those that are just scrolling the end of topic.

[Question] How to Split a Windows Image (.swm) File to Span Across Multiple DVDs or CDs?

Edited by dotfusion