Allow wintoolkit to use more than 2Gb ram if needed

Steel

Just a quick suggestion,

add to the wintoolkit.exe header "Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses".

I add this to every program and game i have and have been doing this since before windows xp.

On 32 bit OS programs without this header are blocked from using more than 2Gb of ram by windows (on xp a boot ini file is also required to work).

on 64bit Os this header means windows lets the program use as much ram as it wants and i beleive will allow it to use up to 75% of avaliable ram as required.

Already tested and attached a patched wintoolkit.exe and the required batch file etc to patch future versions of win toolkit.(and instructions).

The results are no surprise to me wintoolkit becomes much faster loading and running and also more resposive overall.

I dont think it will make any difference, as WinToolkit itself acts only as a frontend for other tools... :g:

Also it merely consumes any mentionable amount RAM by itself.

Edited by Etz

The ram patch does make a difference even with games or programs that dont use much memory.

It has to do with the way windows manages memory:Windows is god...any running prog'(without the >2Gb header) that needs more memory goes to windows 'cap in hand so to speak' please sir i need more ram.

If windows denies or fails to respond in a timely manner the program will either stall or simply exit and you get dumped back to the desk top.

However if the game or program has the >2Gb header windows takes a "hands off" approach allowing the program to use free ram as and when it requires.

I realise that this is a gross oversimplification of the complicated negotions that go on between windows and running programs and how they utilize avaliable hardware,but when you boil it all down thats the simplist analogy i could think of .

EDIT: I think i may have done it. But instructions will be nice, just incase :)

I would have to agree with this, how does one exactly add that header to any program in general?

Does it depend on the programming language?  Or is "patching" the the executable the way to do it?

well im sure you can add the header when creating an exe ,but im not up with the latest languages programming wise to say exactly how.

My way i have several dos executables and batch file that will add the header to an exe.

I used to edit the batch file for each executable but these days im too lazy so i just rename it temporarily,paste into the folder with the batch file ,run the batch file,then rename the exe back to original

I have had and been using these since about 1998 ish?? About 10 years or more !

Back when games often needed more ram than windows would allow and would then stall or crash to desktop as a result.

You would be surprised how many modern games and software still dont have the >2Gb header,

and people wonder why they randomly crash back to desktop.

This is especially common with games and programs that are old but have been 'ported' into windows 7,

(such as what Valve does for older games to run on steam.)

I can confirm that wintoolkit now has the >2Gb header .

Merry Christmas

well im sure you can add the header when creating an exe ,but im not up with the latest languages programming wise to say exactly how. My way i have several dos executables and batch file that will add the header to an exe. I used to edit the batch file for each executable but these days im too lazy so i just rename it temporarily,paste into the folder with the batch file ,run the batch file,then rename the exe back to original I have had and been using these since about 1998 ish?? About 10 years or more ! Back when games often needed more ram than windows would allow and would then stall or crash to desktop as a result. You would be surprised how many modern games and software still dont have the >2Gb header, and people wonder why they randomly crash back to desktop. This is especially common with games and programs that are old but have been 'ported' into windows 7, (such as what Valve does for older games to run on steam.) I can confirm that wintoolkit now has the >2Gb header . Merry Christmas

Visual Studio runs the editbin command to add the header each time the exe file is 'built'. v1.4.1.2 should have the header already. Anyways this request has be done, so i'm closing this thread now.

Have a nice christmas!