Bad News [SSD]

Legolash2o

Hello just thought I'd let you know i won't be able to use my computer for about a week, depending on how fast corsair are. My SSD which I bought about 3 years ago has started to fail and therefore I have to send it back to Corsair for replacement. Corsair have already accepted my RMA and given me the postage label, etc... to send it back in.

I won't be able to use my computer whilst it's in the post > they test it > replacement sent back. However, I will still be able to use my iPad to access the forum but not actually code anything.

I will ofcourse keep you all up-to-date on it's progress. It was either buy a new SSD for $120 or spend about $10 getting a new replacement :) For those worried about Win Toolkit files, don't worry. All of those files are stored on a separate internal HDD and regularly backed up onto a server.

At least they were kind enough to pay for the shipping.  Intel, OCZ, and Crucial haven't done that with me.

Anyways, best of luck.  Corsair's RMA service is pretty quick.  I returned a defective H100 and got a new one about two weeks later.

My 1st SSD was a Corsair. I'm sure I got it because it was the best value at the time (120GB).

I've really come to appreciate the Samsung 830 Series as they are very fast and make everything work more smoothly.

There is also a PCIe x1 card that you slide an SSD into and then install in the computer. It has a SATA III interface so it can upgrade any box that only has SATA II onboard. It's a bootable card, and has an extra internal SATA III port for a 2nd drive, if you wish. Works great and costs around $50 US.

My condolences on the development downtime; I understand this may be a frustrating interlude. But just think: you'll make a Clean Install of the OS when it comes back, and you'll be better than before. <grin>

Thank you for everything you do, my friend. I love your work and tell everyone about it. You are a giant whose shoulders many of us stand upon.

Best wishes from Atlanta, GA. USA.

MARK STRELECKI

There is also a PCIe x1 card that you slide an SSD into and then install in the computer. It has a SATA III interface so it can upgrade any box that only has SATA II onboard. It's a bootable card, and has an extra internal SATA III port for a 2nd drive, if you wish. Works great and costs around $50 US.

Hi Mark,

can you give me more details about this card?

Is it pehaps something like this (sorry, only germen)?

TnX, Thiersee

@Mark How do I tell if my chipset supports sata III?

You need to look up your motherboard on the manufacturer's website (or probably the documentation with your motherboard).  If it does not explicitly state SATA III, there is a very good chance that it is *not* SATA III.

@Mark How do I tell if my chipset supports sata III?

I like to use WinInfo or Speccy to get hardware information. The SaveHWIDs.exe console app works to produce a text file loaded into Notepad.

Hope all is well with you, Ricktendo. Best wishes from your friend "up north".

MARK STRELECKI

Atlanta, GA. USA

I also like savehwid's, unfortunately I dont think I even have sata 2 it looks like sata 1 for me :(

============ RAID Devices ============ PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A20&SUBSYS_9043104D&REV_00\3&11583659&0&FA    Name: Intel® ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20    Hardware ID's:        PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A20&SUBSYS_9043104D&REV_00        PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A20&SUBSYS_9043104D        PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A20&CC_01018F        PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A20&CC_0101

Will a SSD still help even if I dont have sata 2 or 3?

Or do I need rapid storage tech

BTW everything is super, just got a new router (thanks for asking)

@Rick, looks like the PCIe x1 card Mark mentioned above might could help you, if you have a slot available.  Also available from NewEgg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815461002'>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815461002. Or you could just use an adapter like this one - http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-RocketHybrid-1220-PCI-Express-Dual-Port/dp/B004M8SB2A

@Mark,  Hey.  I used to be a "neighbor" of yours.  I used to live half way between the Big Chicken and Merchant's Walk. (As a local you should know exactly where I'm talking about LOL)  I now live up near Clemson.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Intel ICH10 should support Sata II and it cretainly will make a difference to add SSD.

Only catch is you dont need to buy most expensive top end model as it gets limited by Controller... ;)