[Q] Weird result of the WT work

aeMaeTH

i've made ISO with WinToolkit:

- integrated updates,

- removed components,

- deleted vLite stuff.

and my resulting OS was HEAVIER then the standard one!

any one care to explain?

Windows 7 Prof x64 English [X17-59186]

w7_std.jpg

The same ISO but after WT:

w7_WT.jpg

Attached my session.ini

2013-01-22_21-39-12_2013-01-22_21-39-12_v0.1.ini

Edited by aeMaeTH

::Sigh::

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/10836-win7-47gb/#entry94366'>http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/10836-win7-47gb/#entry94366

As to removing language files and other features of the OS that you wish to remove, Win Toolkit doesn't really remove most of them from the source, it just removes them from the install sequence if you will.  So your installed OS footprint is smaller, but the install source not so much.  At least that is my understanding.  Lego has been talking about implementing removal mechanisms similar to the way that vLite did it which should show a bigger reduction in install source size, but that has not been put in place yet.

Cheers and Regards 

Ok, so your "resulting" OS is "heavier" than the first?  So those pictures are showing what your drive looks like 'after' install?  If that is the case, it could be any number of things including updates and what got installed differently.

If you are referring to the ISO "image", see bphlpt's post above.

Lego might should put some kind of notice, in LARGE BOLD  COLORED print, in the component removal section of Win Toolkit to nip in the bud the preconceived notion of what they should expect from removing components.

Cheers and Regards

bah, don't assume that ppl are stupid :P

presented screens are from VM AFTER installation.

i know that the source iso would become larger but the 'removed' packages SHOULDN'T be installed, right?

then pls explain why the resulting OS is approx 1,6GB bigger then the clean installation without removal/updates.

and don't give me the notion that the updates made the os larger, 'cause KBs ARE replacing the outdated files on the os, right? that's the point of integration..

you can talk dirt about rt7 but it did the work, at least. i had os fully working for 3 years made using rt7 only and was WAY smaller then those 2 screens from above

WT shouldn't 'talk' about removal if the process increases the footprint, it should be renamed to disable at least..

any way.. who cares about the installation source size?! the size of the os AFTER install is the goal, right?

as presented above, WT didn't do the right work :(

bah, don't assume that ppl are stupid :P

presented screens are from VM AFTER installation.

i know that the source iso would become larger but the 'removed' packages SHOULDN'T be installed, right?

then pls explain why the resulting OS is approx 1,6GB bigger then the clean installation without removal/updates.

1. and don't give me the notion that the updates made the os larger, 'cause KBs ARE replacing the outdated files on the os, right? that's the point of integration..

2. you can talk dirt about rt7 but it did the work, at least. i had os fully working for 3 years made using rt7 only and was WAY smaller then those 2 screens from above

WT shouldn't 'talk' about removal if the process increases the footprint, it should be renamed to disable at least..

any way.. who cares about the installation source size?! the size of the os AFTER install is the goal, right?

as presented above, WT didn't do the right work :(

1. Sort of, it does replace files but Windows does keep the old files in case you want to uninstall it.

2. They shouldn't be installed after Windows installation, for me they are completely removed. I think Windows 8 DISM does have a feature to actually remove old/superseded files.

3. I'm planning on adding more to the 'vLite' list which actually removes the files.

ok, so now i'm back to my ghosted image.

the same OS with only updates and vlite removal:

Speech and Natural Language
Delete 'WinSXS\\Backup' Folder

also i've installed most of my std programs so no point in comparing the C drive, but look at the winsxs, it's the same as on the clean windows installation, thus smaller then after the "REMOVAL":

w7_online.jpg

For the record:

os with "REMOVED" packages didn't have them, they were gone, so no problem here

but why the size increased? that's what worries me..

Edited by aeMaeTH

ok so let me clarify the problem i'm having:

i've made two ISOs and installed OS from them,

both had the same updates integrated

both had winsxs backup removed (vlite tab)

the only difference was that ISO1 had also removed many packages through AIO and ISO2 didn't

so why the resulting OS after installation was bigger for ISO1?

why did the additional removal process ADDED junk to winsxs?