Two weird bugs in Addon Maker (latest 1.4.1.10)

RicaNeaga

1. The first bug is related to some inconsistencies regarding displaying the correct settings in an Addon when opened. For example, as you can see here, after opened in Addon Maker, Reaper's x64 NFOPad addon from here is diplayed as having the shortcut point to Program Files (NOT OK!) folder instead of Program Files (x86) (OK!). This is not the case, everything is ok with the addon, the shortcut really points to Program Files (x86) as it should.

To make this one even weirder, I changed a little this addon, didn't even check that tab (left it as Reaper made it), and afterwards the newly made addon pointed to Program Files (x86) also when opened with Addon Maker. However, for another user, as you can see here, it's the other way around, my addon points to Program Files (NOT OK!) while Reaper's to Program Files (x86) (OK!).  :doh: 

2. Probably this one is also related to the first, but it's worth mentioning. When opening an addon with Addon Maker, for example the same x64 addon made by Reaper, one file (contained in the temp C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WinToolkit\AddonC folder) appears as lastly modified at the same moment as opening them.

But this is not all! When saving again the same files as a new addon (open the addon then save again with a new name), even without modifying anything, most importantly the .reg file is modified by default when saving through Addon Maker (not the same MD5 and also all the spaces between the entries in the .reg are gone!!!). Other files are also modified - the .lnk, and the .txt files - but these aren't so important.

1. I already gave the link. Please see here (direct link to Reaper's) and here (for mine). In one of those addons, the shortcut shown by addon maker points to Program Files, but in reality for both addons the shortcut points to Program Files (x86).

2. Quote: ''Addon Maker does some cleaning''. Can you please elaborate? Why clean a .reg file provided by the user???

They both load fine for me :/

They remove registry entries which are not needed. For example, if you have used install watch and export the registry changes. There is a key which has a stupidly long value or there are keys which just show what the last programs have been opened.

Nope. Tried directly from root C: - same result. Doesn't this happen also to you? Both addons linked  here and here, with test 9. :(

To be more precise, the exact warning text is: ''This is not a valid addon''

LE: I've even renamed them to 1.WA and 2.WA - same result.

Edited by RicaNeaga

They both load fine for me :/

They remove registry entries which are not needed. For example, if you have used install watch and export the registry changes. There is a key which has a stupidly long value or there are keys which just show what the last programs have been opened.

I personally think it is not necessary to cleanup .reg files as it takes "a little more time" to process, which adds to overall runtime. It is the user's responsibility to maintain the integrity of his .reg files.

(Also user might not use installwatch exported registry as it is to slipstream.)

Cheers

Now there is an error report when trying to open the addons:

Error Extracting

Exception:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\WinToolkit141-15_Test13>Set SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS=1

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\WinToolkit141-15_Test13>"C:\Windows\Temp\WinToolkit_Files\7z.exe" x "C:\1.WA" -o"C:\Windows\Temp\WinToolkit\AddonC\" -aoa

7-Zip 9.30 alpha Copyright © 1999-2012 Igor Pavlov 2012-10-26

Error:
7-Zip cannot find the code that works with archives.

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\WinToolkit141-15_Test13>exit

When I close the error output dialog, the usual ''This is not a valid addon'' appears. :(

BTW, I don't have 7-Zip installed, but Haozip. It's a possibility that WinToolkit depends on 7-zip to be present on the host system?

You have both addons linked above Lego. Just rename them to 1 and 2. :)

Edited by RicaNeaga

Yep, test 14 works. Just a suggestion for the future - please don't use .7-Zip anymore, I mean installed on your system, install haozip or winrar or etc. Otherwise such errors can reappear.

However, now the error in the first post is still present. You have the links for two addons above. Both are addons for NFOPad and both have the target path for the shortcut directing to Program Files (x86). However, one shows the path ok, one doesn't.

Again, it's just a displaying issue, but it may be related to how Win Toolkit's Addon Maker modifies some files (see point no. 2 in the first post.

• 1 month later...

This still isn't solved in that latest build (WinToolkit141-17). You can check the two screenshots provided, and see the difference in the shortcut path (again, NOT an addon issue, but only a displaying issue - the path SHOULD be the same - program files (x86)). The two ~ similar addons in question are uploaded here.

Also, I really think it's a strong possibility to replicate this issue on systems that don't have 7zip installed (as me). Maybe again it's a 7zip dependancy...

post-25565-0-65833800-1362575287_thumb.p

post-25565-0-29732900-1362575288_thumb.p