Pinned Start Menu Shortcuts problem in XP

KAMRULCOX

I pinned some favorite programs in my Windows XP start menu and made a registry backup. It works fine when I run the registry file. But it does not work when I add it in Run nonce in my XP Customize CD. All registry settings work in my XP customize CD without this script. My registry path is added bellow. How to run this script in my customize XP CD? Please help.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]

Your pinstartmenu key should contain the content of 3 items
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]
"FavoritesResolve"=
"Favorites"=
"FavoritesChanges"=

Ensure that before you save these keys, logout first, then login again. Then export these 3 keys in .reg format.

I done it using cmdline.txt (T12). But I think you can import the .reg file during svcpack (T13).
Give a try.

Tanks Geej.

There are six contents and I saved all. I added these six contents in my “Total Registry.reg” file. I have added many registry
settings in my “Total Registry.reg” file and I run this file from run once. All settings work but Pinned to Start menu setting.

I think your cmdline.txt advice will work. But I can’t make registry settings for cmdline.txt. For your kind consideration I have  uploaded my file. If you kindly make the settings for cmdline.txt or better advices I would be very helped.

Pinned to Start menu

Could u try importing your reg during svcpack time? At least it is an easier approach.

Sorry my internet connection is poor, can't post instruction right now. Import reg can be easily done using 7zsfx or winrar sfx.

Cheers

Ok see this article for some idea on cmdlines.txt

Basically, in winnt.sif, set

[Unattended]OemPreinstall=Yes

Then use $oem$ to put your .reg file & cmdline.txt

cmdlines.txt contain the following content

[Commands]"ForLoopT12.cmd"

Create an empty ForLoopT12.cmd batch file and put in $OEM$ folder.

ForLoopT12.cmd contains the following content

for %%e in ("*.reg") do regedit.exe /S "%%e"

Some general info

For cmdlines.txt, it should be placed in the \$OEM$ folder,and does not need to be specified anywhere else to state its existence.Windows Setup automatically scans for a cmdlines.txt file.All batch files launched by cmdlines.txt should be put into the same folder (i.e. $OEM$).

Hope that helps

Could u try importing your reg during svcpack time? At least it is an easier approach.

Sorry my internet connection is poor, can't post instruction right now. Import reg can be easily done using 7zsfx or winrar sfx.

Cheers

Thanks Geej. I have

applied your advice. But same result. I have export the registry settings and made it as nlite addon with sfx Maker. Then I added it with nlite but it does not work. I also added Quick Launch settings same way and it works fine.

My Pinto Start Menu addon

Ok see this article for some idea on cmdline.txt

basically, in winnt.sif, set

[Unattended]OemPreinstall=Yes 

Then use $oem$ to put your .reg file & cmdline.txt

cmdline.txt contain the following content

ForLoopT12.cmd contains the following content

for %%e in ("*.reg") do regedit.exe /S "%%e" 

Some general info

For cmdlines.txt, it should be placed in the \$OEM$ folder,

and does not need to be specified anywhere else to state its existence.

Windows Setup automatically scans for a cmdlines.txt file.

All batch files launched by cmdlines.txt should be put into the same folder (i.e. $OEM$).

Hope that helps

Yes Geej. I have also cmdlines.txt. It is created by Nlite. But I did not try your method. I'll write you after applying it. Here is my cmdlines.txt screenshot.

[Commands]

"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"

842s6.png

Just a note. I noticed the mediafire link you gave is in .txt format. If you are importing registry file, the extension should be .reg

Also I'm not familiar with nlite as I use HFSlip.

cmdlines.txt created by nlite section is for logon/user info. I do not know how to use nlite to insert T12 command.

You can maually add it into cmdlines.txt before you build the iso

Edit: correction to post #5

Correct cmdline.txt to cmdlines.txt

Add code info to cmdlines.txt contain the following content

Just a note. I noticed the mediafire link you gave is in .txt format. If you are importing registry file, the extension should be .reg

Also I'm not familiar with nlite as I use HFSlip.

cmdlines.txt created by nlite section is for logon/user info. I do not know how to use nlite to insert T12 command.

You can maually add it into cmdlines.txt before you build the iso

Edit: correction to post #5

Correct cmdline.txt to cmdlines.txt

Add code info to cmdlines.txt contain the following content

Yes Geej, I uploaded my registry settings only, not regsitry file. I added this settings in my “Total Registry.reg” file. I added many registry settings to this file like Quick launce enable, Autorun disable, Auto update disable etc settings in this way. Only my pinned to Start Menu setting doesn't work. I think my method is correct.

I tried many ways including your cmdline.txt tips. But no successful result I saw for this pinned to Start Menu. But when I run this file in normal mode it works. I think the start Menu settings re-build during 1st logon.

In post #2, I mention only need 3 subkey.

But your mediafire link uses 6 keys. I don't know it that will make a differnce.

Alternatively, you can use 7zsfx to build a RunonceEx addon as a way to import your reg file.

MSFN also has some guide how to do it via RunOnce in nlite. A recent topic on runonce might help you further...

Thanks Geej. I tested the 3 subkeys and these work. But also problem in customize CD. I followed your 7zsfx tips. I uploaded and example in my comments #6. It works fine when I normally run but same problem in CD. I explored in MSFN also. I wasted a long time with no success. So deleted this option from my CD.

Thaks alot for your good advices and let the topics finish.

Give one more try, okay? :)

Seems your silent SFX you post in #6 is meant for T13, not runonceex.

Also you are using SFXMaker to build your exe. This tool can't build 'RunonceEx-type' exe.

For RunonceEx, you need 7zsfx module and you build from command line.

Nevertheless, I remake your .reg into silent exe and made it run in RunOnceEx using 7zSFX module (Tutorial).

Tested in HFslip, works okay. See screenshot.

When you first boot into desktop, the start Menu already pinned. Reboot not required to see tweak applied.

kr564Ets.png

Just slip into any program like other program as svcpack addon. You do not need to edit anything for this addon.

PintoStartMenu_Addon_ROE.cab

Size: 62.37 Kb (63,862 bytes)

MD5: 3828A3265F8989F15564080CB71FCA35

(Host for 14 days only)

Tested in HFslip, works okay. See screenshot.

When you first boot into desktop, the start Menu already pinned. Reboot not required to see tweak applied.
kr564Ets.png

Yes Geej. I just wanted this. I'm crazy to do so. I’ve tested your add-on just now. But same to previous. I tested restart also. I can't understan really what's my fault. But when I run your file from CD then my nice Pinned to Start Menu appeared. I added your add-on with nlite like another hotfix and it is added to SVCPACK.IN_. Here is a part of SVCPACK.IN_ below.

[setupHotfixesToRun]
WindowsInstaller4.1.exe
7Zip920.exe /S
Auslogics Disk Defrag.exe
doPDF72367.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-
VistaDriveIcon14.exe /S
Firefox801.exe -ms
Foxit.exe
IE8.exe
Image Resizer.exe
ImgBurn2560.exe /S
KLiteCodecPackMega80.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-
Powercalc.exe
Power DVD 5.exe
RevoUninstaller193.exe /S
WMP11.exe
WRC.exe
Evil.exe
VLC205.exe /S
KMPlayer.exe
PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe -ai

I attached my tow start menu here.

91tnq.jpg  tyu84.jpg

Before                   after

Edited by Kamrul

So still doesn't work? Hmm...
Once last method is to put PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe in All user startup folder. But you also have to schedule a file delete after PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe run.

May need to modify 7zsfx config file. I think 7zsfx has some switch to delete the file itself if it is on HDD.

So still doesn't work? Hmm...

Once last method is to put PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe in All user startup folder. But you also have to schedule a file delete after PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe run.

May need to modify 7zsfx config file. I think 7zsfx has some switch to delete the file itself if it is on HDD.

I thougt about startup folder before. But I've no idea how to delete PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe file after one time runs. PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe file is unnecessary after one time runs. So it must be deleted. Could you help me please? I'm really sorry and ashamed to disturb you.

No problem. Try this file. Just slip into any program like other program as svcpack addon. You do not need to edit anything for this addon.

PintoStartMenu_Startup_addon.cab
Size: 54.85 Kb (56,164 bytes)
MD5: EE3B03A121210997EF517D54A2261F8C

(Will host for 14 days or earlier)

This file will copy the exe into All user startup folder during svcpack.

After run, it will be deleted.

Off topic:

Maybe IE8.exe or WMP11.exe is causing this odd behaviour. Perhaps try to integrate these 2 using true addon.

Thanks a lot Geej. I'm successful. Your Startup folder tips worked fine. 1st I created a shortcut of PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe (of course I created new one)  and copied it to  Startup folder with runonces command. Then I made my addon with a del command to delete the shotcut after it runs. For your kind attraction I added my command bellow.

regedit /s Startmenu.reg
del "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Startmenu.lnk" /f /q
exit

I didn't try your last PintoStartMenu_Startup_addon.cab but I downloaded and I'll try it too. I thank you again for your help and wise advices. Your important links helped me so much.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Kamrul, do you have a copy of "PintoStartMenu_ROE.exe" ? Or could you share some tips on how to customize the start menu shortcuts?

Sorry to be late. Donwload PintoStartMenu_ROE.

1. Arrange your Start menu as you like. For example Right click>Pin to Start Menu or drag your progams.

2.Backup the Registry script of following path.

"FavoritesResolve"=

"Favorites"=

"FavoritesChanges"=

3. Just restore the script when you like.