[Solved] Bug (maybe)

Falo

V 1.4.1.14
I don´t know if it´s just here this happens.
I have selected to integrate a bunch of drivers and tweaks plus removed "extra themes" and "Speech and Natural Language" under Vlite.
But after I have pressed "start" it stands still on "Removing selected folders" for about 20 minutes then
WinToolkit stops working.
I have tried three times now and same result (same in 1.4.1.13 and 12 (I think) too).

I went back to 1.4.1.8 and it worked flawless...

Done after 1h and 31min

/Falo

Edited by Falo

What Windows are you using and what Windows are you trying to modify? Do you have a last session preset?

UPDATE 1: The only text saying 'Removing selected folders' is when you have selected 'Delete support folder' or 'Delete upgrade folder'.

UPDATE 2: I will be releasing a test version, please try it :)

I am trying the test version now ( WinToolkit141-15_Test1 ) and it hangs on "Removing 'Support' Folder".

Not there quiet yet but near :)

/Falo

Sorry my bad! I hadn´t added the test version to "trusted" applications in the firewall.

It was running in the "Sandbox".

I started over again (not in the sanbox) and now it works :)

Thanks!!!

/Falo

Edited by Falo

Hi (again)

The test version (WinToolkit141-15_Test1) worked fine.

Done in 1h and 9min compared to 1.4.1.8 that took 1h and 31min for the same operation.

Maybe you have done some performance tweaks between the versions.

I must say this is a really great program and "hat off" for fast response when problems

appear.

Keep up the good work :beerchug:

/Falo

We've got to get the word out better that one of the first things to try, besides double checking the file MD5, if Win Toolkit doesn't work correctly is to temporarily disable ALL anti-virus and sandbox type programs.  Then make sure you are running Win Toolkit as an Admin and all work folders are as close to the root of the drive as possible with as short a path name as possible.  Don't use paths like - C:\The most ridiculous path name\I can possibly\come up with\Just for me\Just to make life difficult\I'll put Win Toolkit here\ - Instead use something like - C:\WTK\.

Cheers and Regards

I agree 1000% and if I can add: I know the toolkit handles spaces but I really think its good practice to NOT put spaces in the directories and names, even if they are short. c:\win kit\ versus c:\winkit\

We've got to get the word out better that one of the first things to try, besides double checking the file MD5, if Win Toolkit doesn't work correctly is to temporarily disable ALL anti-virus and sandbox type programs.  Then make sure you are running Win Toolkit as an Admin and all work folders are as close to the root of the drive as possible with as short a path name as possible.  Don't use paths like - C:\The most ridiculous path name\I can possibly\come up with\Just for me\Just to make life difficult\I'll put Win Toolkit here\ - Instead use something like - C:\WTK\.

Cheers and Regards

It is a shame that WinToolKit cannot pop up with standard things to try if it detects errors in certain places.  Just a generic listing something like what bphlpt just mentioned.  Of course that would take a bit of work.  Maybe a "standard troubleshooting" button for the unaware? ;)

Cheers and Regards

1. When a user clicks 'Start' it prompts the user to disable the anti-virus.

2. WinToolkit does detect this and refuses to open.

3. WinToolkit works fine with spaces. If foreign characters are detection, then they will be copied to the temp folder to be worked with.

Spaces aren't the only issue.  Sometimes it's the resulting path length.  If you end up with a path length >256 characters it can create problems for you.  Even if Win Toolkit is able to finish everything without error, if you then try to copy or move that folder elsewhere on your system, Windows itself might complain.  I have run into this even with Win7 x64.  Not if it's just the ISO, but rather if you expand it.  It's always safer to keep the path length a short as possible.

Cheers and Regards

I have run into path length issue many times on my Win7x64 laptop so I definitely agree

Spaces aren't the only issue.  Sometimes it's the resulting path length.  If you end up with a path length >256 characters it can create problems for you.  Even if Win Toolkit is able to finish everything without error, if you then try to copy or move that folder elsewhere on your system, Windows itself might complain.  I have run into this even with Win7 x64.  Not if it's just the ISO, but rather if you expand it.  It's always safer to keep the path length a short as possible.

Cheers and Regards